swelling after shot

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I had to give a horse an iv last saturday and there is a lot of swelling and soreness. Will this work out? I called my vet and he said it was fairly common and to rub dmso, bute and put him on antibiotics. Sound right???

:)I would give bute or banamine, probably not antibiotics.
Just from my own experience( 30 plus years) ;-)

dremosdan? It doesn't ring a bell -- and a quick search on Yahoo turns up nothing. Sure it's spelled right? and what is it?

it's a strong sedative and maybe spelled demosadan. He was hard to find a vien on and I'm thinking I may have gone through it.

rc":2ezn4f0p said:
it's a strong sedative and maybe spelled demosadan.

Still not coming up with anything.

He was hard to find a vien on and I'm thinking I may have gone through it.

Maybe. There's some drugs that will cause a "reaction" if they're not put in the vein. Dextrose (glucose) is one. Some antibiotics like LA200 are caustic and will ruin the vein if any of it ends up just outside the vein...calcium and sodium iodide are two others that will do that, speaking from experience.

You could give him something like Banamine to take the inflammation down - off hand I believe Bute is more for inflammation related to skeletal conditions (say, like lameness). Dexamethasone will also take down the inflammation, but it does suppress the immune system so I won't give it more than once or twice.

And....yes it probably will clear up on its own in time.

Thanks, my vet tried to assure me that I hadn't killed him. It being on his neck concerned me about strangling or choking though.

yeah...its called demosadan...I got an old mule thats real nice when he's working but he'll go crazy when we try to shoe him...I use demosadan as a tranq...works pretty good too

Geeze, how you guys getting this drug, your Vet? It's abig time, big money horse tranq. I use rompin for the price or Acepromizine for the light weight stuff.

I would use antibiotics, just because it sound like you made more than one stab at the vein. If you used the same needle it could have pick up dirt or what ever going through the skin. and may have been introduced into the blood stream. Better safe than sorry. I like SMZ tablets as an antibiotic for horses, they are fairly cheap and easy to give. I put the tablets, seems like about 10 to 15 a dose depending on the horse wieght, in a 20 to 50ml syringe add water to the sryinge and it becomes a paste in no time have to shake it a few times. Then you give it orally, just like a wormer. I have tried mixing in grain but most of my horses won't eat it very well.

Alan

:shock: One of our shetlands was almost "euthanized" by that drug while having his teeth floated. He went totally down,
heart rate went to almost nothing- respirations were about
4 per minute. :x I will never let the vet use that again unless
totally no other option!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

If you missed the vien or shot through you can usually tell pretty quick. I wouldnt worry about it at all if it doesnt get any worse. It will go away, you probably just caused some bruising trying to hit the vein.

Latest posts