swelling in the tendons........

Help Support CattleToday:

Jazzin_Bobby

Reaction score
I usually stall my 12 yr old horse at night because my mom's horse is a VERY dominate horse and can be very bossy and my horse doesn't get the sufficent food amount she needs so I have found that feeding her in her stall at night works alot better and she gets her fair amount of food...but when I go get her in the morning to take her out her back legs in the tendon area are all swelled up...So all I do is just lunge her for about 10 min depending on how fast the swelling goes down but after about 10 min all the swelling is gone....
Is it just from standing in the stall all night long or something more??
Thanks Jazzin

Lots of different things can cause the swelling. My first guess is that if she isn't use to being in the stall without her pasture buddy, she may be pacing the stall all night and nervous. You might try to just feeding her seperate and then turn her back out. Or turn both horses in at night but still feed them seperate. Some horses with past work (not injuries) will just swell up in their legs and work it out.

As far as the equestrian tem goes, my advice to yo is to make sure your horse is shape to handle the extra work, don't push her too hard. Work her every day and start her slow, When she gets into a wet sweat... wet, cool her out and do it again the next day. You can't expect her to run a mile after sitting on the couch for months. :D Also as she works harder her feed intake will go up, increase her grain and hay.

Good luck and have fun.
Alan

thanks! Yeah I stated feeding her alfalfa and grass mix so hopefully that will be alright.
About her swelling she doen'st mind being alone at all...she absolutly loves it...she isn't barn sour or any thing so she doens't mind being alone, she never weaves or whinnys at my other horse she just stands eats and sleeps in her stall.
Usually it takes up to atleast 6 hours before she starts swelling up but sometimes she doens't swell as bad as other times..so it is kinda weird
Well thanks for the reply

Stocking up is caused by fluids not being properly moved out of the area by the lymphatic system. Wrapping the legs with polo wraps will help prevent the swelling. That's about all you can do for it. Exercise when it does happens.

sometimes rich hay combined with immobility causes stocking up. If it works out of her after a few minutes of lunging I doin't think you have much to worry about.

Latest posts