Sweet smell of money.

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
Started to pile the feedlot bedpack to compost till fall. Some of it is stout enough to burn your nose hairs. $$$$

20210510_175232.jpg20210510_181503.jpg

Call me crazy, but that looks wonderful to me! :) We only have a few house-cows (for milking), but all the poop goes in a big pile each spring, and in two years of doing NOTHING to it (we make a new pile each year), turns into the most beautiful dark compost. I haven't bought fertilizer for my garden since we got the cows. And it gives the dog a great lookout point. A nice big pile of poop is good for so many things. ;)

That smell that burns the nose is nitrogen leaving. I am a big believer in allowing it to compost in a thin layer spread over the field. I would much rather have that nitrogen in the field than have it leave the pile out to the atmosphere.
A lot will leach out spread in the field too, either as methane or nitrate. Only way to save all the nitrogen is to bury it. Compost doesn't have any nitrogen, but does have high levels of P K, and carbon, and is readily available when spread. Nitrogen is cheap to buy compared to phosphorus.

I compost mine but unless it's for the garden, I don't compost it long, try to keep it pretty wet, and try and run the irrigation over it right after spreading when I can.. unfortunately I usually have to wait until I get my first cut off to do it20200525_122652.jpg

Latest posts