Sustainable Agriculture?

Help Support CattleToday:

I deal with a lot of autumn olive and here it will grow in good soil or bad and no amount of just improving soil fertility will make the grass come back unless the autumn olive is dealt with and kept in check. It is most certainly invasive.

0FFD3AE5-8EC0-4226-9FA2-A78144E37E5F.jpeg

I have fought the most battles in my life with Chinese Privet. I make fenceposts out of it, though, so I guess I win. The problem with Chinese Privet isn't even the fact that it can shoot off of its stumps, it's the fact that any sprig growth you destroy will be back with boring regularity. When you cut it back you need to do something else with the space almost immediately. It's also a very thick-growing plant that clusters like hell. I cut around 1-2 acres of it by hand over this past late summer and early fall and it was a hell and a half. Especially since towards the end my pinky toe was in pieces.

Anybody still know where there's live fences made out of trees ?
When I was a kid there was a farmer down the road that had fences made it out of trees that had been planted close together and then the limbs tied just a certain way to make a fence as it grew.
I believe it was Osage orange or what we called hedge Apple. I always thought it was really cool that they made a live fence.

When I was a kid there was a farmer down the road that had fences made it out of trees that had been planted close together and then the limbs tied just a certain way to make a fence as it grew.
I believe it was Osage orange or what we called hedge Apple. I always thought it was really cool that they made a live fence.
Europe.

I'd like to know the name. There are a couple pretty big operators just across the river.

By my math it wasn't worth the hassle of keeping the calves an extra 4-5 months, dealing with the public, and the butcher appointments. Most people only want a half beef so 75 calves could turn into 150 customers pretty quick. This year guys doing the freezer beef deal were at $5.50-$6.00 # hanging weight. You guys might have a sharper pencil than me. I'd be interested to see others math on the deal.
I never forgot about you, I'm DMing you now, I've been so damn busy. Got you a name and number.

I don't see it on th list either, but the only thing they did was change their grazing methods and bale feed cornstalks in a couple of draws
We are not doing much different. I work with biologists and these guys on prairie restoration and these tracks converted for conservancy along with other ranches.

Most have gone to IPT to go after huisatche to speed up the process. Huistache is not like other woody plants in that it is resistant to fire.

Once you get them sprayed out you can really cut back on the regrowth with proper grazing, burns, and minimal ipt.

Asking people to push cows around all day or move hot wire daily is not an option.

Used to be lots of hedge rows around here. Too many trackhoes for that nonsense anymore, high dollar corn and beans killed the livestock here.

Is the stockyard North of Olney still open ?
There was a deer farm that was up there by the stockyard I wonder if it's still there ??
No, it's been closed a good while now. Not sure about the deer farm, was it along 130?

Went to Olney Saturday for my boy's birthday, ate at Monical's Pizza. Were they here when you still were?

We are not doing much different. I work with biologists and these guys on prairie restoration and these tracks converted for conservancy along with other ranches.

Most have gone to IPT to go after huisatche to speed up the process. Huistache is not like other woody plants in that it is resistant to fire.

Once you get them sprayed out you can really cut back on the regrowth with proper grazing, burns, and minimal ipt.

Asking people to push cows around all day or move hot wire daily is not an option.
Using hot wire is generally what I call "recreational fencing." Use the right stockmanship methods to reboot herd instinct and they will do it on their own. Have clients in Kansas removed interior fences on 10,000 acres. Cows are building grass and soil mostly on their own migration around the pasture.

Using hot wire is generally what I call "recreational fencing." Use the right stockmanship methods to reboot herd instinct and they will do it on their own. Have clients in Kansas removed interior fences on 10,000 acres. Cows are building grass and soil mostly on their own migration around the pasture.
So how do you train a herd to stay together and them not go for the best grass they can find?

I see a lot of cakes but no recipes.

Lots different when grazing 10,000 acres compared to 50 acres. Not much migration on 50. I'm not doubting that it works but 1 cow per 9 acres isn't like 1 cow per acre. Cont compare the results.

You must pay the baker if you want that information. 🤣
That's what it looks like. I feel like it's one of those video where you keep having to watch for "the secret".

I'm truly interested because I have gotten to participate in some property revamps it really amazing.

Last edited:
I disagree that hot wires are recreational fencing, or that animals on ten thousand acres without cross fencing will make the most of building grass and soil. I also disagree with the idea that cattle need to be rotated in terms of days.

My own experience in rebuilding a ranch after it was ruined by crop agriculture was that a person practicing regenerative practices needs to be flexible and look at what his practices are doing for the ground. Different areas demand different treatment and you will only get the most out of what you have if you are paying attention and changing your strategies to suit your conditions, paying attention to your results and modifying as you go. It's not like following a recipe that results in a perfect cake every time. I had pastures that varied in size. Each had different water demands and each had differing ground cover. I actually paid a lot of attention to my cows and learned to see when they were ready to move. I found that to be the best indicator of timing and the best way to get better forage in succeeding cycles.

I have seen some negative effects of rotating often. If you have a variety of grass, basically the cattle pick the best grass and get moved. Long term it gives the not so great grasses time to take over.

We have been trying a different approach of basically eating a pasture down lower than most would suggest. Not dirt low or any where near that, but low enough the cattle go after every thing before we move them.

The key is they may only be in that pasture once... maybe twice a year.

Each pasture may get grazed 60, 90, 120 days. A brushy pasture may get grazed in July and Aug for the shade and the more open pastures in the spring or fall. Then a smaller pasture gets used in Jan a Feb since it's a short period and we will be winter feeding any ways. Plus, bulls can get a start on them in a smaller area.

It's hard to say definitely but it seems to work better. Plus, we can align rotating with calving, breeding, weaning, etc.

Latest posts