Surprise cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":2a704yih said:
if she doesnt raise a good calf, she will be up for sale to guys who buy their replacements at the auctions...lol We'll get a good check from her too, she's impressive looking."
;(. Why would you do this to someone?

Just curious why you don't palpatate the unknowns yourself ?
Why would you do this to someone?
King it is ALWAYS buyer beware at a sale barn. Pretty much EVERYONE takes unwanted cattle to the sale barn, so if you are buying "replacements" there, you may not get the best. The only exception is a ranch liquidation or people slimming down their herds. Either way, it's all on you. You gotta know what you are looking at.

Where else did you think people take their culls to? (Some directly to a slaughter house, but there aren't many around.)

lol....i thought they were joking.. She can have a calf safely, so, i feel no regrets if i have to take her to the sale barn bred. Heck, maybe the next will be a doozy. BUt, this is why i'd never buy at the sale barn. I've never taken a productive cow there to sell and i wonder who the heck does unless you are selling out.

People do it everyday. Buy an open cow, breed her, sell her bred or buy a bred cow or raise one, calve her out and haul the pair to the sale. Heard some commercial pairs brought $3200 last week. No idea what they man had in them but bet he laughed all the way to the bank.

TexasBred":1ey9ppm1 said:
People do it everyday. Buy an open cow, breed her, sell her bred or buy a bred cow or raise one, calve her out and haul the pair to the sale. Heard some commercial pairs brought $3200 last week. No idea what they man had in them but bet he laughed all the way to the bank.
So i might be better off selling her now with the calf at her side?

cowgirl8":2tje8gzu said:
Since we do not feed our cows other than hay in the winter, we have had some really large cows that just couldnt cut it. If the bigger girls gets thin on what we feed our cows, we do cut them. If they stay in good flesh, they stay. We buy very little feed. I could see that if i were having to run to the feed store to keep my cows healthy, yes, maybe big cows wouldnt be my thing. But, as i've said before, we have plenty of grazing so its not an issue at how much grass they eat. If a big cow, or smaller requires more food than the herd is offered, she'll show it. Sometimes if she's young we'll do like what we did to this cow and move her to the older herd where they do get the best hay. Not that we have bad hay, but the older ones get the best of the bunch. The intermediate herds get the lesser quality of the hay stash. The calving heifers get the best also. So if we have a big cow, like Joker the other big cow i posted a picture of, who is in the intermediate herd where the nutrition is lowest of the young and old, she'll show it if she's needing more to eat. As you can see, Joker is in very good flesh, gives tons of milk and gets the same food the smaller cows get.
As far as losing the sim lines, about half our herds are still mostly sim or half sim. We do have a couple black sim/angus bulls. We put them on those cows. We'll keep heifers out of them because they will be big and probably black. We eventually will get less and less sim, but since our big red sim died a few weeks back, we'll be replacing him with something. Not sure what yet, but it wont be angus. We put the angus bulls on the younger cows. I think 4 are registered angus, 1 or 2 are black sim/angus..We have one big white face sim, but he's mix with some other things but is mostly sim. We have one brangus/angus. 3 simbra/sim/angus... We lost Big Boy,and here i go again, he was HUGE...i wasnt too happy with his calves, although all of them weighed around 100+ when born, almost all of them had contracted tendons. But, it worked out because since they were so big, it helped them in the nursing department. The cows in this bulls herd were big fat and sloppy, and old. Sometimes those sim calves can be kind of stupid and will work the cow up high...so the contracted tendons were ok...This year, i think Big Boy Jr must have bred the cows because i only had one with contracted tendons and the rest have been around 80 pounds. He was in there with his father, his father tore his ACL and we had to sell him. Got 1700 for him at the auction which surprised the heck out of us.
We did have a cow who we were giving a second chance after missing a year. She missed another year so we got her up and planned to sell..Well, around that time we had sold a heifer to a kid to show and something happened to her when they got her home and she stayed lame. After several months we offered to buy her back. We put the heifer in the pen with the open cow and looked at them. The limping heifer we planned to eat, the big fat grass fed cow we were going to sell. We thought, what the heck, why eat that small heifer who had been on antibiotics for months when we could eat the open cow. Hauled the cow to the butcher where she weighed close to 2000..her hanging weight was 1000. They had to hang her for 27 days. She made so much meat it was ridiculous,we are still eating it and it was 2010 when we had her processed.. Her T-bones were so big they covered the whole plate. I felt like Wilma Flintstone when i set them on the dinner table. Best meat ever. She was marbled to the hilt..
OK one suggestion: learn to keep it brief!! I was genuinely interested in this thread, but after a couple of your paragraphs, all I see is:
Blah, blah, blah, lol, blah, blah, blah, lol, blah, blah

Well, since this isnt a class assignment you arent required to read it. And until some here quit insisting i validate everything i say...well..

cowgirl8":3hakrgnf said:
Well, since this isnt a class assignment you arent required to read it. And until some here quit insisting i validate everything i say...well..
Much better...thank you. Remember: quick and to the point.

cowgirl8":kakllvj3 said:
Surprise cow appears to be giving milk, but i think she's going to disappoint again. She'll probably go to the sale this fall. Her calf is 1 1/2 months old, so, maybe she'll pull out and grow better. Maybe she's bigger than i think since her mother makes anything look small next to her. And it could be the color, once she sheds off to a shiny black...hate that dead baby hair, makes anything look bad. Only time will tell..

UPDATE
Surprises calf today....still a dink. Doesnt make sense that a cow with an udder as big as hers and as fat as she is grows a dink like this. She will go to the sale at weaning....Char calf next to her was born the same day. Her mother is twice the age of Surprise...

Latest posts