Sure am glad I'm not a lineman

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
tonight. 31 degrees an falling with a steady mist. I sure have a lot of respect for those guys. They don't give an inch, they keep going till it's done.
1b5a2472.jpg

I agree, we're in a co-op and those guys do a great job and like you say they work in all kinds of conditions and keep on going :tiphat: .

Larry

I couldn;t believe the hours they kept and the work they accomplished during the tail end of the 2007 ice storm and afterwards cleaning up the damage.

Its not that bad Jed, i did it over 30 years, you really learn to laugh and have fun . One time we were working a ice storm in Mississippi and at 2 am we throw ed a co-worker in the swimming pool at the motel :lol: :lol: .
We were parking the trucks at 11pm (or we tried to get in by then) and started the engines back up at 3am the next morning. It was a very exciting life, never a dull moment.
The ice storm of 1966 it seemed liked we worked forever and accomplished very little. We just didn't have the equipment back then that you have today. At daylight one morning at Sudan i was in the top of a 65 foot pole splicing a 3 phase circuit back together when a man pulled up an said , i don't know how much money your making but its not enough. When i told him 75 cents an hour he just shook his head and left. :lol: :lol:
I would really like to get my double bucket truck and my old crew back and go get some lights ON.

I pray that all the men that are working the storms make it home safe. Many through the years did not.
An GOD said, let there be light, and created the electrical lineman.

Wonder if Mike Rowe has done a show on linemen..
Glad there are linemen,glad I'm not one.
Bless them all

I was a lineman for 7 years. Climbed a ton of poles in that time, and I was in fantastic shape. Now I'm behind a desk for the better part of the day and I'm packing it on in a hurry. :help: Glad to hear the appreciation. Most people just want to know when the lights will be back on.

tripleBfarms":145c8is1 said:
I was a lineman for 7 years. Climbed a ton of poles in that time, and I was in fantastic shape. Now I'm behind a desk for the better part of the day and I'm packing it on in a hurry. :help: Glad to hear the appreciation. Most people just want to know when the lights will be back on.
It might just be this community but I'm surprised the visiting lineman in 2007 didn;t get fat. There was most alwasy someone bringing them sandwishces, soup, hot chocolate, coffee, etc. during all hours of the day and night.

tripleBfarms":1wlmzb89 said:

I have often thought about if all the wood and steel towers that i have climbed in the 30 plus years that i worked as a lineman were standing straight up how many feet would it be? Makes me a little tired just to think about it.

Linemen working on lines have my utmost apprecation. But some of the people that assign them where to go, how many trucks, and such as that very badly need training, beginning with an attitude adjustment.

I'm thankfull for underground we don't have those ice issues. That has got to be terrible

peg4x4":2b3becez said:
Wonder if Mike Rowe has done a show on linemen..
Glad there are linemen,glad I'm not one.
Bless them all

I do remember one Dirty Jobs where he was on a power pole. I think they were putting up new ones somewhere and then switching the lines from the old to the new. Weather was nice though.

curtis":18dxqjri said:
tripleBfarms":18dxqjri said:

I have often thought about if all the wood and steel towers that i have climbed in the 30 plus years that i worked as a lineman were standing straight up how many feet would it be? Makes me a little tired just to think about it.

Never been on a tower, I only worked in distribution. A buddy of mine used to work for a transmission contractor and was telling me about climbing the wood towers, and swinging out to the middle phase. I don't want any part of that.

That ice storm of 2007 left half our state without power. Our Child Nutrition department
provided food and the high school provided shelter for over 1000 linemen and brush
crews that came from 12 states to help us out. I gotta say, when I saw the convoy of
the bucket trucks headed down the highway as far as you could see, it put a lump in
my throat. Many of those guys missed holidays with their families to do this, and the
brush crews didn't have a per diem worth crap. I wanted to cheer for them - they were
doing a job I could never do. :clap:

jawsmom":ztb4wa8n said:
That ice storm of 2007 left half our state without power. Our Child Nutrition department
provided food and the high school provided shelter for over 1000 linemen and brush
crews that came from 12 states to help us out. I gotta say, when I saw the convoy of
the bucket trucks headed down the highway as far as you could see, it put a lump in
my throat. Many of those guys missed holidays with their families to do this, and the
brush crews didn't have a per diem worth crap. I wanted to cheer for them - they were
doing a job I could never do. :clap:
I'm with you on that.
I have seen those convoys come in after a storm and is a moving thing.
Thats the way people should help each other in time of need.
There are still a lot of good people in this country.
(Note: I said people, not government.)

My uncle was a lineman, out of Wichita no less. During the 70's he was working an ice storm when his hooks slipped somehow and he came down a pole. 30 feet I think it was. He broke everything up to his knees into small pieces and was laid up for a looooong time. He never did walk the same after that but he went back to it and worked for the electric company until retiring.

Latest posts