Supplementing Feed with Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
I was recently discussing hay and feed costs with a couple of guys. One of the guys said that he read that 3 pound of feed is equal to 50 lbs of grazing forage. That he was going to feed 3 lb per cow once per week. Has anyone else heard of this and what are your thoughts?

When I refer to feed, I'm referring to a feed mix that is purchased (such as Purina as an example) either by 50lb bag or in bulk at your local Tractor Supply or local feed mill.

The 3 lb per week is something that I was questioning. This is supplemented along with his hay and what little winter grass he may have.

My question is does the 3lbs of feed equal to 50 lbs of grazing forage? I can't see it to equal out but with the protein, minerals, etc in purchased feed, would it equal to what may be in the forage?

That number sounds like a stretch, but a good feed will replace quit a bit of hay. If you really figure what you have per pound, in a pound of "good" hay it cost a pretty penny per pound. Almost as much as a bulk feed. You just get the opportunity to feed less hay. Once I start supplementing in Feb, I will cut my hay use back by 1/3.

kilroy60":22e0t8qp said:
I was recently discussing hay and feed costs with a couple of guys. One of the guys said that he read that 3 pound of feed is equal to 50 lbs of grazing forage. That he was going to feed 3 lb per cow once per week. Has anyone else heard of this and what are your thoughts?
Politely tell him that he is totally wrong. First of all "feed" (which I assume you mean a commercial grain based feed) does not replace grazing or hay period !! It does compliment if needed.

Bigfoot":o8xo4xt3 said:
That number sounds like a stretch, but a good feed will replace quit a bit of hay. If you really figure what you have per pound, in a pound of "good" hay it cost a pretty penny per pound. Almost as much as a bulk feed. You just get the opportunity to feed less hay. Once I start supplementing in Feb, I will cut my hay use back by 1/3.
So, when you start supplementing, how much do you supplement? And, what are you supplementing with, bulk feed, and if so, what is the amount of protein is the feed?

kilroy60":3lsm75g1 said:
Bigfoot":3lsm75g1 said:
So, when you start supplementing, how much do you supplement? And, what are you supplementing with, bulk feed, and if so, what is the amount of protein is the feed?

I have supplemented with straight ddg. Ddg and corn. Ddg, corn, and soy hull pellets. The ddg is up mid 20's in protein. I personally think that's too much. I'll feed 5 or 6 pounds.

Thanks all. I think that the 3lbs is a stretch and doesn't sound like it would help at all.

The Georgia drought continues and many don't have enough hay to get through winter. Now with the drought looking to go into December many are concerned with not being able to plant any forage for spring cutting. Next year could be terrible for the cattle market around here. Y'all keep us in your prayers. We're in dire need of rain.

2007 here - disastrous Easter freeze, followed by severe drought - 1" of rain between May 10 and Nov 30. No local hay to be had. No pasture. Almost sold out... and did sell some cows. I saw folks who were paying $90 for a roll of cornstalks or CRP residue harvested in October with honeylocust trees 1-2" in diameter rolled up in it.

Looked for alternatives just to get by. Studies at tOSU had shown that beef cows could overwinter on as little as 5lb (actually, even less) of hay per day, so long as other nutritional needs(energy, protein, etc.) were supplied with other feedstuffs.

Bought some expensive hay in from out west and started limit-feeding - cows got access to hay feeders for about an hour per day - long enough to consume 10lb of hay per animal, then received 12-13 lb modified distillers' grain product each. Came through the winter just fine - and actually, in better shape than some years when we'd fed nothing but free-choice locally-produced hay (which was probably overmature at harvest, with low CP and TDN).

We've continued limit-feeding over the winter in subsequent years; depending upon cost of hay and DDG we adjust hay feeding up or down and the DDG, due to lower moisture level, can be fed at lower levels than the modified product. Currently shooting for 20-25# hay/cow/day and 3-5#DDG. Once really cold temps hit, we may bump up for hay &/or DDG.

Currently shooting for 20-25# hay/cow/day and 3-5#DDG.

But that's per day--not per week, as was mentioned by OP. He must have been talking to one of my neighbors, that in winter feeds 15 or so dry but bred cows a 5 gal bucket of cubes every 3-4 days. All it does is keep them coming to him and keeps them from absolutely starving to death. They look skeletal by March. Dang good thing we don't have real winters here.

TANK30705":336k32gp said:
I am in same boat as kilroy, and trying to figure a way to stretch hay too.
Would hay and 5pd of corn gluten WORK?
You can make it work but make sure they get the hay even if you do have to restrict it then don't overdo it on the CGF.

CGF or soyhull pellets would be acceptable, I'd think - though I've not compared nutrient contents across the spectrum.
We feed DDG 'cause it's readily available locally; some years, costwise, it pencils out to feed more DDG and less hay, other years, more hay and less DDG.

Cows need some hay, but it doesn't have to be a lot. Will they be 'happy' with less?...No. But if it's enough to provide what they need... they can get by on a lot less than most folks would think.

I don't know how feeding a mixed feed from a bag would work, but when corn is cheap and hay is high priced you can save a lot of hay by feeding corn as long as you include a supplemental protein pellet. I think the study I read was something like 11-12 lbs corn and 2-1/2 protein pellet and 2 pounds of hay per day would keep cows in good condition. Don't quote me on the numbers but I'm sure a quick google search would find the study I'm referencing.

I don't know how feeding a mixed feed from a bag would work, but when corn is cheap and hay is high priced you can save a lot of hay by feeding corn as long as you include a supplemental protein pellet. I think the study I read was something like 11-12 lbs corn and 2-1/2 protein pellet and 2 pounds of hay per day would keep cows in good condition. Don't quote me on the numbers but I'm sure a quick google search would find the study I'm referencing.

In 2011, when we had a historic drought, what little hay I could find I couldn't afford. Fortunately I had some hay left over from 2010. That winter I fed half the usual amount of hay, and put out 10 lbs of a 12% protein feed per cow every 2 days, so it averaged 5 lbs per day. Along with salt, mineral, and syrup, all of which I always do anyway, of course. My cows came through the winter in good shape.

I agree with the others that 3 lbs. per week would be inconsequential. 3 lbs. per day would help, but still isn't enough.

ChrisB":v26xmck4 said:
Chris I have to disagree with you. A protein pellet will not replace long stem roughage in any way. It simply raises the protein level of the corn mix. A dairy cow will typically get about 12 lbs. of corn a day but that along with that will be another 40 lbs. of roughage but a beef cow never needs nor can she safely handle that much corn on a daily basis unless she's being fed for slaughter and even then she gets roughage to keep the rumen functioning.

Near the Jackson area, I am looking for good horse hay around 5.00 to 6.00 a bale. Does anyone know where I can get some?

Latest posts