Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
I am coming to the best place I can think of relating to:
Honest answers
Levelheadedness
Hardworking Individuals
Logistical knowledge

So let me have it... what does anyone know? Remember I am in Wisconsin and this is a heck of a long way away. Besides it being between Corpus Chirsti and San Antonio I don't have a clue.

What it is going to come down to is knowing wage requirements, availability of labor, etc.
What is the norm for what people expect vs what employers are willing to provide.
I would greatly appreciate the knowledge sharing.

Thanks Michele

Never been there but seeing where it is located I'd say labor supply should be more than adequate (mostly spanish) and relatively cheap.....very cheap compared to where you now live.

Spanish is ok, as long as they can communicate in English both written and speech.
Cheap wages is not a requirement as much as honest, loyal and hard-working. And communication. The company appreciates and shares.

Michele

mitch2":1cd8o6q6 said:
I am coming to the best place I can think of relating to:
Honest answers
Levelheadedness
Hardworking Individuals
Logistical knowledge

Thanks Michele
HI Michele. What are you moving down there for? A job? What kind? I don't there is much going on down there. Best thing is
it looks real close to Choke Canyon. :) great fishing and duck hunting but I'm sure that's not what is motivating you.

Mitch, I grew up in Corpus and have traveled many times between Corpus and S.A.. Wages will be lower than where you are now for unskilled workers, mostly Hispanic. As far as being able to communicate that depends on the individual. Most Hispanics I deal with are honest as the day is long, work hard, never complain, very friendly and they seem to appreciate the work. But it would be to your advantage to learn Spanish. Sometimes instructions and directions get lost in the translation so if you want to be understood clearly you need to learn it.

It's not that far between CC and SA, as far as things go in Texas. We never thought a minutes of driving from CC to Beeville on a week night for some good Mexican food . You can leave CC at 4:30p and be in your hotel room in SA before dark (in the Summer).

The land is pretty darn flat closer to CC. Lots of farming going on, most of it is open range - no fences. About 60 miles out IH 37 toward SA you will start getting into ranching country with rolling hills, lots of Oak and Mesquite trees and LOTS of deer (whitetail). The closer you get to SA the more rugged the land gets with limestone hills, more wildlife (deer, hogs, 'yotes, Bobcats and the like and maybe a few rattlesnakes) with a lot of scrub oaks and cedar trees. It's dryer in the SA/Austin area and most farming endeavors will have irrigation.

Are you folks relocating to Texas? If yes, welcome. I think you'll like except maybe for the Summers. It's hotter than hades.

Nope I am not relocating!
And thank you for all the information!
The company I work for looks like it will be opening a location there. At this time I cannot divulge more info than that. On my end I am just trying to determine the caliber or the workforce and likelihood of acquiring and retaining quality individuals.

Michele

mitch2":1dsevpsa said:
Spanish is ok, as long as they can communicate in English both written and speech.
Cheap wages is not a requirement as much as honest, loyal and hard-working. And communication. The company appreciates and shares.

Michele

Well now that you've qualified your statement you just disqualified about 90% of your prospective work force... which isn't all bad. :nod:

mitch2":aggaxnco said:
The company I work for looks like it will be opening a location there. At this time I cannot divulge more info than that. On my end I am just trying to determine the caliber or the workforce and likelihood of acquiring and retaining quality individuals.

Michele

I'm certainly no head hunter or expert on work ethic in Texas. A lot of the younger generation are expecting to start at the top but I'm pretty sure that's the same all over. It would help to know what job skills you might be looking for. There are several ranked universities in and around central Texas and the main campus of The University of Texas is in Austin although the premier university is some hundred miles away known as A&M (sorry T-sips, MHO) :D If you're looking for brain surgeons then there's Balyor College located in Waco (is that right?).

I guess what I'm sayin' is that there is a lot of diversity in the work force. I don't think finding folks to work at your new facility will be an obstacle, your management might be but not the staff.

Good luck

If you come down to check it out give us a shout.

mitch2":1d4fzkgp said:
Honest answers
Levelheadedness
Hardworking Individuals
Logistical knowledge

You can find that. Every bit of that is a two way street here. You'll find some jerks too.

You're problems might be culture shock and management style. We bring in a lot of good managers and it takes them a while to understand folks. Motivation is different. Taking ownership is different. Taking responsibility is different. It would help if I knew more folks from there to compare the style. Eye contact is expected here. It may be offensive in northern cultures of the U.S. but if you can not make eye contact here, you are considered "shifty eyed" and non-trustworthy. Kind of hard to explain.

Take care of the people and they'll take care of you. We tend to value and bond with our peers. Step on my peer and you are stepping on me kind of thing. That will throw you in to a "us and them" situation in a heart beat.

We recently recieved and INPO 1 rating for our nuke plant here. Our workforce has always been listed as a strength with INPO and they grade really hard. We are always noted for the quality and integrity of our people.

I fear your problem may be the management you bring. Some managers adapt and love it. Some just can't ever adapt. Leaders do the best.

lavacarancher":mj14uwms said:
mitch2":mj14uwms said:

Michele

I'm certainly no head hunter or expert on work ethic in Texas. A lot of the younger generation are expecting to start at the top but I'm pretty sure that's the same all over. It would help to know what job skills you might be looking for. There are several ranked universities in and around central Texas and the main campus of The University of Texas is in Austin although the premier university is some hundred miles away known as A&M (sorry T-sips, MHO) :D If you're looking for brain surgeons then there's Balyor College located in Waco (is that right?).

I guess what I'm sayin' is that there is a lot of diversity in the work force. I don't think finding folks to work at your new facility will be an obstacle, your management might be but not the staff.

Good luck

If you come down to check it out give us a shout.

Lava...the best brain surgeons are over in Aggieland as well.....at the vet school. :lol2: :lol2:

Nobody will be brought in - the manager and laborers will be hired locally, the manager, the closer the better. A little paper-pushing capabilities, a little computer skills, fax and email and maybe a little excel knowledge. From the sound of things bi-lingual would be an asset also. Otherwise it is a manual labor job .... maybe some forklift work and ability to manage the employees.

The location will run ( I believe) 24/7 so the manager needs to be available to "put out fires" on occassion.

Will not need a huge amount of employees but more than a handful.

It is hard going into an area and you don't have a clue about it. The good the bad, etc.
I appreciate the info here! Coming on here to me is kinda like going to the local coffee shop, you get to know who to trust, who has a good story, and who has a bit of BS! :D
Michele

mitch2":3565ahvi said:

Michele

Michele: I know this is going to sound critical, but actually I'm just curious. What made your company decide to consider this area in the first place? I would think a company would want to find out everthing they can about an area before relocating or opening a new facility there, especially the availability and quality of the workforce. Is this a done deal, or are other areas being considered?

VanC - Customer specific request. A current customer came to us.

Michele

Latest posts