Summer Sausage

Help Support CattleToday:

How come summer sausage doesn't need refrigeration? I like it and see it all the time, especially around Christmas just out of store shelves instead of in the cold meat cases.

Yours looks pretty good there, cherry sounds delicious. Was never very fond of summer sausage growing up and hated smoked meat until I learned it's the fake smoke flavor I hate! As a cook, I appreciate good flavor and real smoke. Best I ever had was venison with pork fat added. It was fine ground and had jalapeno and cheddar chunks.
Maybe there was beer involved? They mix so well on the front porch.

Yours looks pretty good there, cherry sounds delicious. Was never very fond of summer sausage growing up and hated smoked meat until I learned it's the fake smoke flavor I hate! As a cook, I appreciate good flavor and real smoke. Best I ever had was venison with pork fat added. It was fine ground and had jalapeno and cheddar chunks.
It turned out pretty good. The next batch I make I am going to use maple bourbon pellets. This go around I also added a smoke box, I didn't think I was getting enough smoke with what I made last summer.

That's what I do. I have a couple deer made in to jalapeño and cheese summer sausage, buck sticks, and pan sausage every year.

We take it on trips hunting and fishing or keep it in the ice chest if we are working. Get a cracker, some mustard, and an onion if you want to get real fancy.

Show them to me..... whoa, slow down pilgrim. I'm not Rodney Carrington!

No, for real, have pics, of it? I have never had deer processed. Always cleaned what ever I have harvested. I miss out on a lot because we take the backstraps and some stew meat, jerky etc, grind the rest. Never made sausage, yet.

Latest posts