Suggestions on mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Looking at getting another semi heavy mower. 3 main brands around here are Bush Hog, Rhino and Brown. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.

my Rhino sucks and the john deere is a pain in the butt to hook up.

Bush Hog makes some good ones. I am pretty sure they make some light weight stuff for the 2 acre ranches also so make sure you pick the right line.

Just don't buy one with the Chinese made gearboxes.

They are a pain. Bush Hog uses a lot of them, but not all.

MikeC":mn79k6m7 said:

Where have you been for the last 10 years? All 3 of these manufacturers use Chinese gearboxes. And don't be smart and say the Bondioli & Pavesi gearboxes are made in Italy because the only gearboxes they truely make that are used on US rotary cutter MFG's are the 250+ HP ones. BP assembles Chinese gearboxes in Italy and puts made in Italy on them. I've been there in the factory and know what I saw. Coming from China has nothing to do with the quality of the gearboxes. Comer, ITG, Omni Gear & B&P all have Chinese factories. JD does have some gearboxes that are assembles in Spain but it is the same situation of Chineses componants.

I've got a Rhino and it seems to be okay. Buddy has a Landpride and it's junk. Too lite and flimsy. Seems Landprides quality is all over the board. I have a Landpride power rake and it's bullet proof.

I've got a BH 2615L and 406 3pt. No real complaints about either.

cfpinz

Jogeephus":101rcq0j said:
Looking at getting another semi heavy mower. 3 main brands around here are Bush Hog, Rhino and Brown. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.
ive got a bushhogg 6ft shredder.an its a good solid shredder.so if i was you id go with the bushhogg.

dun":1u645c86 said:
millstreaminn":1u645c86 said:
No I don't have a Landpride power rake... It's a Harley.

I thought they made bikes

They do. That reminds me of a Harley Motorcycle joke. What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?
On a Hoover the dirtbag rides on the inside, on a Harley the dirtbag rides on the outside...

ironpeddler":3rr4tmrh said:
MikeC":3rr4tmrh said:

Where have you been for the last 10 years? All 3 of these manufacturers use Chinese gearboxes. And don't be smart and say the Bondioli & Pavesi gearboxes are made in Italy because the only gearboxes they truely make that are used on US rotary cutter MFG's are the 250+ HP ones. BP assembles Chinese gearboxes in Italy and puts made in Italy on them. I've been there in the factory and know what I saw. Coming from China has nothing to do with the quality of the gearboxes. Comer, ITG, Omni Gear & B&P all have Chinese factories. JD does have some gearboxes that are assembles in Spain but it is the same situation of Chineses componants.

I really haven't bought a mower in the past 10 years. But when I did, I bought one with Chinese gearboxes and had problems finding bearings and seals to fit it.

Millimeters instead of Inches thing.

I got rid of that and bought an older but slightly used one with American boxes and haven't replaced any gearbox parts yet.

And NO, I ain't getting smart, but I do hear of a lot more problems with the gearboxes now than I used to............

Reckon there's a reason? :lol: :lol: :lol:

millstreaminn":3s7wfafh said:
dun":3s7wfafh said:
millstreaminn":3s7wfafh said:
No I don't have a Landpride power rake... It's a Harley.

I thought they made bikes

They do. That reminds me of a Harley Motorcycle joke. What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?
On a Hoover the dirtbag rides on the inside, on a Harley the dirtbag rides on the outside...

In Washington state it's the difference between a snowboarder and a hoover.

Just bought a Woods BW 180 which is a Medium Duty 15' Bat Wing Rotary Mower. I am very pleased with it, but the Shaft is a son of a gun to get hooked up to the PTO, due to its weight. Do not know where the gear boxes are made, but they come with a 5 year warranty.

I,ve got an old BMW 12' mower that still has the original gearboxes on it. The top has rusted & cracked, but I can weld that up. Easier to do than work on a gearbox. This mower is so old that the company is no longer in business. Anyway, get the biggest one you can afford (or your tractor can pull), you wont be sorry.

Angus/Brangus":13mysykb said:
I'm told that John Deere now makes a mower where the top panels are domed so water and debris rolls off. I have heard that Rhino is going to put one out too. You might want to check this out.

Seems they all have gone to doing this. I like the new style. Can't figure out why they didn't do it sooner.

Latest posts