Suggestions for South Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

spartacus

Reaction score
Newbie here. Come from family of ranchers but never been one myself. Inherited about 900 acres in south Texas (between Cotulla and Encinal) and been doing a little work to improve.

I have an old 50 acre field that I just mulched and and looking at root plowing and blading to seed something. A lot of ranches (including some of the other sections that used to be part of my family ranch) use Buffel plus I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for something hardy, drought resistant and perennial.

Thanks in advance

God Bless

Thanks everyone. that's pretty much what I was thinking as well.
Yes we have had deer hunters leasing the property for a number of years but I don't like not being able to use my own property very much.

Buffel grass is the grass for your area I wish it was more cold tolerant and could be grown farther north. The hunting income is hard to pass up. Think about merchandising your forage with something that could be turned out after hunting season and then sold before the hunter arrive in the fall.

This is the first time I have seen Buffel mentioned on here. It is no good on my country, frosts are a bit too severe but it is a highly productive grass on country out west of here. Typically this was brigalow country and the scrub was pulled with two big dozers dragging a big chain then windrowed and burnt then blade plowed. Crocadile seeders were used a lot, big roller with teeth and seed dropped into the indentations. Nothing real fancy for a seed bed but the buffel took on well. This country was cleared in the 60's and 70's but is now great grazing country. Sounds a bit like the sort of country you have there.

Note, this is Australia I am talking about.

Ken

I've seen surplus ship anchor chains used to pull mesquite in West Texas to grub mesquite and saw them do the same in Vietnam behind Cats with Rome Plow ahead.
Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bJ4RLF6tg

I havent planted yet and am actually now exploring clearing, root plowing and raking another 400 acres before I plant.

In trying to research options (I am am a newbie), I ran across a bermuda called Texas Tough but I am not sure if its a good option or if I should just stick with Laredo Buffel and be done with it. Any more thoughts anyone?

My opinion and what I seen is Bermuda is a high maintenance grass, if not fertilized and weed sprayed yearly it will slowly die out ( Bermuda decline) native grasses and improved blue stems are low maintenance but still need managing by not overgrazing, Need to rotate pastures, a lower stocking rate is recommended on natives.

The only place I really see bermuda in south tx is under pivots. I wouldn't try and buck the system too much. Might ask your extension agent what they think

In central Texas we've had great success with Tifton 85, straight coastal and even common bermuda but it really does depend on the soil. We have, on one ranch, where one of those grasses will work and one won't. I would suggest contacting your local farm office (FSA) and have them come out and suggest. They'll know in 5 min from looking at it or will take samples.

Latest posts