• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Suggestions? Angus bulls that suit the North country

Help Support CattleToday:

Josher

Reaction score
Just been looking for good Angus bulls that have enough size. I’ve tried resource and stunner so far and the resource calves are really nice and stout but there frame size is bit small for my liking.

Stickney94

Reaction score
If you are looking for AI sires -- ABS Australia has the best "notes" on sire sizes if you look at the catalog on their sites -- there are many sires that are also US based (and I would assume some would be Canada also). ABS USA has started to put frame size measurements in their bull search. I vaguely recall Universal or Bull barn having many measurements as well (I don't know about Origen/ST/SelectSires etc).

With that said there are bulls like Byergo Black Magic and Mogck/Sydgen Enhance that are 6+ frame.

Hoover Dam was my go to for about perfect size, but I'm searching a bit myself for the next sire (I'm located in MN). Absolute and Hickok have been a bit small to my liking. Most of my larger cows are out of older sires/out of favor sires. I've got Enhance, Cowboy Up, Powerball, and Black Magic on the ground or on the way. Hopefully I find something from that group that will be useful long-term.

W.B.

Reaction score
I would suggest SS Niagara. He will add a bit of frame to most Angus.

kdhansen

Reaction score
Giving 4404 (Basin Rainmaker) a try this year. Haven't seen in person, but have been told from one that has seen him at stud (not a semen rep), that he was one that actually had some size and stood out at Genex, good structured. Nothing extreme as far as epd's. Dam/Granddam look pretty good, too. SS Niagara as a backup.

OP
J

Josher

Reaction score
Will definitely look into the suggestions. I just got tired of my brothers lower epd red angus out performing my blacks. This must end lol. And the buyers out here don’t care for short stubby cattle. Gotta have some length, width, good hind quarter to go with the extra frame I’m looking for.

wbvs58

Reaction score
Giving 4404 (Basin Rainmaker) a try this year. Haven't seen in person, but have been told from one that has seen him at stud (not a semen rep), that he was one that actually had some size and stood out at Genex, good structured. Nothing extreme as far as epd's. Dam/Granddam look pretty good, too. SS Niagara as a backup.
I sampled Basin Rainmaker (as in cheap intro offer) a couple of years ago and have just joined a couple of his heifers in the last couple of months .They grew very well, I have no complaints with them.

Ken

Latest posts