Sudden death of calf, help please?

Help Support CattleToday:

curlyann

Reaction score
My daughter had a cute little cross bred bull calf that she and her husband really liked so were paying particular attention to him. He was up by their house and doing great until last night. They heard him begin to bawl and in the few minutes it took to find flashlights and go outside the calf was down on it's side and kicking in terrible pain. In the time it took my son in law to go for his gun to put it out of it's misery it died. She knows about most general poisons and plants that could cause trouble and he was not bloated. He acted fine all day. I suggested snake bite but she is afraid to check because she is pregnant and doesn't want to come across a snake. Are there any other ideas as to what would make a healthy calf die suddenly like this? The only other thing I can think of is we have had such high heat and humidity for most of the summer and the last two nights have been very cool.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Could be quick pneumonia... happens with rapid temp. change (hot to cool, cool to hot)... and 50% shot at saving them if you catch it within 12 hours of the onset (statistics given to me by my vet).

How old was he?

Thanks for your help and I'm suspecting the sudden change is the culprit too.
The calf was about 2 months old and could have been under a shelter but was out by my daughter house. I suggested that it should have been confined but they are just starting out and buildings are in the process of being set up.
There is one poisonous snake that I know of in Wisconsin the Timber rattler but it is rare that someone or an animal gets bitten. The suddenness is what made me wonder about that.

Every answer you get will be just a "best guess". The only way to know for sure, and then maybe not even for sure, is to have the calf posted

Latest posts