Sucking Dairy Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H fanatic

Reaction score
We have a bunch of dairy heifers that suck the cows i dont really wasnt to butcher taht many but im not sure what to do with them....

4-H fanatic,

Put a weaning halter on those guys!!! 8) That will end it. Mother cow don't like getting poked with a pointed barb. As Bama might say...she kick...she kick 'em hard...bruise 'em jaw!! ;-)

Thanks Preston ............. so you just put the halter on and let them go again....
Sorry Myers these are really nice sharp heifers they are not for sale but for intrest they are holstien, holstein jersey and holstein milking shorthorn.

Yep...never failed to wean them...let mom do the work..a natural process....they get discouraged quick. Have seen a larger calf butt his mom...thinking she wasn't cooperating...she turned around and downed him...that didn't happen again. Good mom! :lol:

When you try it...watch for the tricks...had a calf learned real quick to rotate his head to the side...on the front teats... so the effective part of the halter is toward mom's front......so the halter was rendered ineffective. If that occurs ..we add an additional barb on the sides also....improves the design...some may have them already now...ours are years old...only use them once in a while.

4-H fanatic":158nt2y2 said:
Alrihg thanks for the help preston. It sounds like a great idea. What kind of cattle do you have?
========
4-H fanatic,

A herd of registered Angus(three genetic lines) and a commercial herd....all limousin and herford mix....1/3-1/2 x2/3rds/1/2.

Awsome I have pure holstein
holstein/milking shorthorn
holstein/ hereford
holstein/ jersey
holstein/red angus
I think thats all of the crosses O and i want to get some British White ...can you get that from the semen dealers?

4-H fanatic":2fe831dm said:
We have a bunch of dairy heifers that suck the cows i dont really wasnt to butcher taht many but im not sure what to do with them....

Hang on...butcher? dairy heifers? perhaps I'm not reading this right, but at the current prices of $2/lb and up on heifers... :shock:

We use weaning rings. What they are is a bull ring with a crown
on one side. Only thing we do is put the crown towards there nose
instead of it facing up like the directions that way it pokes them and
if they figure out how to tip it up it will poke the one it`s trying to
suck on. I did it this way because I was worried when the big animals
tried to suck on the cows they might ripe the udder open. Been using them for about 15 years so I Know they work. After a couple of
years they fall out.

Gayle...,

I have seen those in a magazine. There have been many studies which strongly suggest a calf is set back considerably...almost like an illness because of weaning.

I have not seen any studies on leaving them with mom. But, I am thinking of experimenting with weaning this year by leaving the calves in the field with mom. We have seen a couple cows over the years naturally wean a calf. I believe there would be less stress than taking them away. Do you have a reaction to that? Think it will work? What is the biggest problem that is apparent...other than a bother to mom and maybe a little udder irritation.....which we will watch for? Any thoughts?

preston39":r088mam4 said:
Gayle...,

I I have not seen any studies on leaving them with mom. But, I am thinking of experimenting with weaning this year by leaving the calves in the field with mom.

After 42 years it might be about time.

4H, the point is that...why on earth would you even consider butchering an animal that is currently worth upwards of $300 even as a day old calf just because it is nursing off the milking herd? Why not just sell the trouble makers and get a little cash in the process? unfinished beef/half grown dairy heifers aren't going to be that good eating...

We don`t use the rings for weaning, we use them for heifers
that still suck on the cows after they were suppose to be weaned.
Like the next fall after they are bred and we bring them home and put with the cows again and they start sucking again. When we wean
we put all the calves in a pen and let the cows rummage around
the pen for 2 days and then chase them away. I thought the person
with the sucking heifers were older ones. But I have put them in
small pail calves after weaning because fo sucking on the other calves
udders. My Dad always said that sucking on undeveloped udder makes blank teats.

preston39":2coq5gfg said:
Yep...never failed to wean them...let mom do the work..a natural process....they get discouraged quick. Have seen a larger calf butt his mom...thinking she wasn't cooperating...she turned around and downed him...that didn't happen again. Good mom! :lol:

When you try it...watch for the tricks...had a calf learned real quick to rotate his head to the side...on the front teats... so the effective part of the halter is toward mom's front......so the halter was rendered ineffective. If that occurs ..we add an additional barb on the sides also....improves the design...some may have them already now...ours are years old...only use them once in a while.
They're dairy heifers they come away from their moms as soon as they are licked off.......... how bout i weaning nose ring i cant seem to find a weaning halter.

4-H fanatic":3q2hjirb said:
preston39":3q2hjirb said:

They're dairy heifers they come away from their moms as soon as they are licked off.......... how bout i weaning nose ring i cant seem to find a weaning halter.
Whatever WORKS! Go to Dog Pile or Google and look for "Weaning Halters" or "Weaning Rings" I'll bet you will find what you are looking for. What is your ultimate goal for all those "Dairy" cross whatever's? Don't "Butcher" them! But also don't try to make BEEF cows out of them, either!

Latest posts