stupid hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
Had my second calf get hung up in hay . First one died the second one did not want to stand. I got it up standing by itself, and now eating feed. If it is walking, is it better to walk it around for a while or just let it stand. I was thinking blood flow would be better, but stress may hurt.

They have been getting in there and laying down. Somehow, the ring got pushed over a leg. First one was back leg, this one was front. They could not pull leg out so just laid there. Trying to figure out how to keep calves out of ring.

By hay rings I'm assuming that you're talking about the round metal/galvanized type that are just put around a standing round bale of hay....

A couple of observations:

First, hay rings are mainly designed to save hay; as in not let cows trample and urinate/deficate all over it. I've read/and seen when hay rings can save as much as a third of the hay put out.

Second, if your calves are getting in the hay rings, is the ring serving it's purpose (to keep animals from wasting hay)?

And third, is the amount of hay you may (or may not be saving) worth the expense of losing calves? As we all know, calves are sky high now... Not like 5 years ago. Today one lost calf could well cost you $500 to $1,000.

There are other type of "hay savers" that will keep the hay off the ground.

Just trying to offer some friendly advice..... :)

I had posted a hay sled a year or so ago, and it's still working fine.

My homemade example:
hayring.jpg

I accidentally put one of our hay rings out upside down one evening and the next day I noticed that a couple of calves had gotten into the rings that were right side up but none had entered the one that was place incorrectly. It seems the slant/curved bars on the upside are easy to crawl through but when flipped over they were less inclined to go inside.

We have hay rings that calves can walk right into. Our new calves get in the hay all the time. Then the bull comes along and sticks his head thru the side and he will pick up the ring and move it over to get to some of the hay. When it gets low in the ring they all start pushing it around. I see how it could land on top of a baby inside the ring. I worry alot about them getting stepped on ...but mom wants to eat hay and it never fails, she will bring them right into the middle of it all! We try to keep enough bales out so they don't all crowd around. But it happens. I never thought about the ring trapping them. My husband will appreciate you giving me something else to drive him crazy about! I wonder if you could stake them down somehow? I don't see us changing how we put out our hay, but maybe we can make it safer. If the calves don't get inside the ring they lay in the loose hay around it and then they are in danger of being stepped on. Can't win for losing.

All you can do is try to provide a safer place for them to lie down. Even if you don't have a shelter, if you put up 1 strand of fence that they can go under (but keeps mom's out), and have some hay/straw bed, you would be amazed how fast the "kids" will flock to it.

We use the Horse Hay Rings for our Longhorns. The calves can climb through the upright "U" shaped barriers as well as the adults can reach through them to get to the "good stuff" in the center of the bale. In 11 years we have only had a couple of calves get their head caught between the bars. Yes, the bulls will move the rings around when the hay gets real low. Another caveat is to buy the heavy duty rings (~ 200 lbs or so) which helps a little. Those "galvanized thin wall pipe" rings are what you pay for... disposable rings... lol.

We have our hay rings custom made--they are a foot taller than a normal
hay ring. Always thought it was cruel to make them eat with that cold metal pressing down on their necks. Also prevents them from moving the ring at all, the top rung is too high. I think the cows love them! They are heavy.

I read somewhere that they make pvc ones,they are so lightweight it won't hurt a calf,but still do a good job keeping the bigger ones out.
I don't use one because of the danger, only have a few head and put the hay in piles for them,more piles than there are animals to prevent fighting....

Latest posts