Stupid heifer prolapsed

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's what I have done: take the tractor with loader, tie onto hind legs and pick her tail head a few inches off the ground. Get some very warm water and icing sugar, clean it up and sugar it. Lay the uterus on udder if it's out that far and work it back into place. Don't take too long because she will bloat if on her back too long.

Warm water and powdered sugar like Silver mentioned. Feed it back in slowly.

It ain't her fault... it just happens.

Plain ol' white granulated sugar... 5-10 lbs of it, smeared liberally over that uterus, and massaged, will greatly relieve swelling, over a 10-30 minute period, but I can only imagine how hard it will be to try to shove that thing back in without being able to give her a lidocaine epidural to keep her from pushing back harder against you as you attempt to put it back in.

Caught unprepared without a Buhner needle and tape... I've sewed a couple with shoelaces and holes poked with my pocketknife. It wasn't pretty, but serviceable.

Caught unprepared without a Buhner needle and tape... I've sewed a couple with shoelaces and holes poked with my pocketknife. It wasn't pretty, but serviceable.
I've done that too. I've also used copper wire to make loops through the hide and then used shoe lace through the loops.
I also (probably shouldn't admit this) one time used alcohol for an epidural. She didn't swat any flies that summer before she left for town :(

We had a fat hfr vaginal prolapse six weeks ago. She was crazy wild. Got her in and put back together. Talked to our fat cattle buyer. He said as long as there was no withdrawal we could send her on the next load of fats.
Two days before we took a load of fats she vaginal and rectal prolapsed. She's in my freezer now. She tastes great.

I've done that too. I've also used copper wire to make loops through the hide and then used shoe lace through the loops.
I also (probably shouldn't admit this) one time used alcohol for an epidural. She didn't swat any flies that summer before she left for town :(
You didn't have to worry about her pushing it back out! (y)

I've been there... last year I had one.. I was unprepared as well
I didn't use sugar, though it would have made it easier... gentle, consistent pressure will reduce the swelling as well..

Now the fun part was stitching her back up... No, I didn't have a needle or any correct thread, so I sharpened the tip of a tire plug inserter tool and used that... for thread, I had some cotton twine, after quadrupling it up it was about the right thickness.. particularly fun was trying to do it all with my knee there so everything didn't fall back out before I got it tied back up..
A shot of draxxin after and she was fine, shipped her that fall

Can't find a picture of my "needle" though

56219897_385309838979802_5103969595027357696_n.jpg

55910049_302386173766533_213717984965820416_n.jpg

If they are down, dragging their back legs out behind them makes it a lot easier to get in. Sort of just falls over the brim of the pelvis. A long neck wine bottle grasping the neck and using it to finish the job inside making sure it has all turned itself out the right way.

Ken

If they are down, dragging their back legs out behind them makes it a lot easier to get in. Sort of just falls over the brim of the pelvis. A long neck wine bottle grasping the neck and using it to finish the job inside making sure it has all turned itself out the right way.

Ken
Had a vet tell me once you get it all back in. Use a water hose and fill it with water so the uterus gets heavy and stays in .

I've only had one, naturally in the middle of the night (first calf heifer). But my vet is a rock star, made it here in record time and she's currently bred with her 7th calf.

The thought of doing it myself terrifies me, but I've actually made notes of advise on previous prolapse threads from awesome CT members. Thank you for your valuable input! That said, the wine bottle technique is new to me. Good thing I always have some on hand;)

@MurraysMutts, so sorry it happened! But it happens. And the likelihood she'll do it again is extremely slim. How is she doing? And the calf?

@TCRanch and others.
Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately mama didn't make it. Calf seems thrifty enough. Not taking a lot of a bottle at a time but we are working on it. Got some colostrum in her late last night and early this morning. Hereford sired. Chiangus dam
20201221_152658.jpg
Life goes on I guess.
This lil heifers mama did almost everything wrong her entire life. She led her 2 half sisters on a cross country voyage while weaning. Thought I lost all 3 of em. Bred really late. Her 2 herd mates have already weaned a calf. And then she prolapsed on her way out. Sheesh.
Thankfully I have no others from that sire!
The wife has already named this one Annie. Oi

Last edited:
@TCRanch and others.
Thank you everyone for your help. Unfortunately mama didn't make it. Calf seems thrifty enough. Not taking a lot of a bottle at a time but we are working on it. Got some colostrum in her late last night and early this morning. Hereford sired. Chiangus dam
View attachment 1324
Life goes on I guess.
This lil heifers mama did almost everything wrong her entire life. She led her 2 half sisters on a cross country voyage while weaning. Thought I lost all 3 of em. Bred really late. Her 2 herd mates have already weaned a calf. And then she prolapsed on her way out. Sheesh.
Thankfully I have no others from that sire!
The wife has already named this one Annie. Oi
Well I'm really sorry to hear that. That's never a good experience.

Latest posts