Stupid cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So this morning I noticed a cow headed off by herself. I figured she was going to calf so I hopped on the quad to see which one she is. Met her coming back to the herd. Looked her over and said yep you will calf today. So a couple hours later I ran out to check. This stupid cow had crossed the river and was in the 15-20 feet between the fence and the river. I didn't want her calving there. The river is running way too swift right now and a young calf couldn't cross it. There is one foot sticking out so I know she is going to calf real soon. So I open the gate to let her on this side of the river. I figured she could calf over here and I will get her back where she belongs later. She walks to the open gate. Takes two bites of green grass, turns and wades belly deep across the river. Fifteen minutes later she is licking off a new calf. Cows......

Here they are on the right side of the river. Tuesday the calves all get worked (branded, vaccinated, and the bulls that didn't get banded will get cut) and all the pairs will get hauled to their summer pasture. The dozen or so that haven't calved yet will get kicked out above my house until they all calf. Where they are going for the summer the calves all need a brand. Trust your neighbors, brand your calves.
Here is the stupid cow with her calf.

Attachments

• P4182488.JPG
    P4182488.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
Maybe she wanted a waterbirth. Glad everything worked out. Congratulations.

Latest posts