strange thing happened

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
One of my weaned bull calves was limping tonight, so I went in and checked his foot out, and wrapped around the foot right above the hoof was one of those white rings from a calf bottle. I had to cut it off, and it was slightly imbedded into the skin. I soaked the foot in udder wash that had iodine in it, and gave it a shot of LA 200, I'm not sure what else to really do, any suggestions? It was bleeding when I took the thing off, with this mud in the pens, I'm wondering if I should put the calf somewhere else or what? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gail

It would be a big help to keep it clean and dry . For those kinds of infections I think penicilin is better . The iodine is a great help .

Larry

We had a similar case a few years ago. Cow had a bit of electric wire (the fine stuff) wrapped around her hind leg about midway between the fetlock and hock. It was imbedded right down to the bone. We cut it out, and gave her some penicillin. She came out of it with no problems. It was really rank, and smelly, and it must have hurt pretty bad while we were cleaning her up, but she never tried to kick.

For your case, there isn't much more you can do right at them moment. It would be a good idea to get the calf on some dry ground, or at least bed him well. Then just keep an eye on him. He will probably be just fine.

Mud is not good in a wound.
When we treat for foot rot, we scrub the whole hoof with idonine solution apply a antibiotic salve then bandage the foot...then wrap it with duct tape to form a water proof barrier. The wound should be healed by the time the duct tape wears off. We keep the animal in a dry pen for a week or so.
Just my two bits worth...Dave Mc

Latest posts