Is there such thing...?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have been vaccinating my herd with Cavalry 9 per vets instructions. Is there such vaccine similar to Cavalry 9 that requires only 1 dose, and does not need a booster shot 3 weeks later?

I have been vaccinating my herd with Cavalry 9 per vets instructions. Is there such vaccine similar to Cavalry 9 that requires only 1 dose, and does not need a booster shot 3 weeks later?
Alpha 7 is similar and is the only 1 shot clostridial on the market $9.59 10 doses
the difference is Cavalry 9 also contains redwater and tetanus protection $14.30
and Alpha 7 does not.

Alpha 7 is similar and is the only 1 shot clostridial on the market $9.59 10 doses
the difference is Cavalry 9 also contains redwater and tetanus protection $14.30
and Alpha 7 does not.
That's right, that's the vaccine I was thinking of. I remember why I don't use it, because it does not have the tetanus in it. Bummer!! Thank you.

You can vaccinate with a separate tetanus toxoid.

and Alpha 7 does not.
I have heard of redwater but have never heard of any cases of it here. Is it location/region specific?

I have heard of redwater but have never heard of any cases of it here. Is it location/region specific?

My father had a few cases a few decades ago. The best I can remember it mostly happens only if the cattle spend a good bit of time in boggy poorly drained pastures. So I guess you could say it's location specific but not region specific, since I'm not that far from you.

And again, it was decades ago, so I might not remember correctly.

I may be thinking of something else then. I understood it was tick transmitted, tho decades ago, ticks ruled this part of the world...

I may be thinking of something else then. I understood it was tick transmitted, tho decades ago, ticks ruled this part of the world...
In my world, anaplasmosis is the dreaded (primarily) tick borne disease. There is a vaccine, that until a few years ago was only region specific/not approved for just any operation to use.

Redwater is caused by a extremely small snail in swampy pastures. I wish I could find a picture of my old pastures on the Washington coast. I think they used pictures of those pastures in the Vet textbooks to demonstrate for Redwater.

Red water is a symptom of liver fluke infection, snails and deer are a necessary host for flukes.

I always thought redwater disease in cattle was associated with liver flukes and wet ground,
but I see where it is also associated with ticks. Two different health issues, I think :unsure:

Latest posts