Storing hay in Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Folks,

I have a question for you. I normally store my hay in the barn as soon as it comes out of the baler. The hay is never in the rain or dew. I have always stored the rolls sitting up like normal. This year I will lay the rolls over on it side, stack two high and then place a roll sitting the normal way on top. I will also be stacking small square bales in the barn also. The barn is closed in on all 4 sides so there is not chance for mositure to get in.

My question is if i could place a sheet of plastic down on the barn's dirt floor to protect the borrom layer of hay rolls or bales? And cons to this thinking?

Here's an article that just came out on storing hay. It doesn't answer your question entirely.

http://www.landandlivestockpost.com/sto ... 403015.php

Also, Due to the runoff rain through our ancient barn, we double stack pallets and cover them with plywood or old osb that can't be used for something else then stack our squares on that. The plywood is just to keep your feet from going though the slats. I'm sure a side benefit is that it keeps the fallout hay from collecting under the pallets and creating a problem.

i would think that you really want air flow under those squares and putting them on plastic will keep the ground moisture from affecting them, but what about the moisture in the hay itself? I'm sure there is a little bit.

Never been to Alabama and don't know the particulars of your situation, but what about putting down a layer of of that geotextile cloth and covering it with a layer of large stone? Kind of expensive, but while I'm spending your money I can afford to dream. :lol: Ours just sit on the ground.

cfpinz

I store mine the same way. I lay the plastic out on the floor, then roll it up so it is just under the back row. Stack them three high, then unroll the plastic for one more row. Repeat until the end of the barn. I'll have 10ft or so of plastic left, so after I set the bottom row of bales on the last row, I pull the plastic up over top of them and then set the next row on top of the plastic to hold it in place. Keeps rain from getting on top of the plastic when it blows in. If I had a bigger piece of plastic, I'd cover the bottom two rows in the front.

I did the same in my barns. The first year I tried putting about 1" gravel in the bottom for about 4" and it still pulled the moisture through it. So the next year I went ahead and put down billboard signs I bought, they were pretty cheap and real thick. That and a little loose hay on top helped everything, looked like they were just sitting on top of other bales.

I put mine with the flat side down on the bottom layer only.

Then I stack one on top of the bottom one and split those on the 3rd one.

My barn has sort of a crown of gravel under it so water doesn't run in. No plastic. No loss.

Latest posts