Store bought vs home raised eggs: boiling

Help Support CattleToday:

I never could skin a fresh egg. Now I can handle store bought eggs; I think they've been genetically altered for easy skinnin. I've tried all the home-spun stuff like adding vinegar, or salt, or diesil to the boiling water; quenching them immediately in ice cold water, talking dirty to them, etc, but my paws never could peel a fresh egg. I just have to stand back and watch my wife. She has nice sexy feminine hands :D She peels my eggs and I twist the top off her mason jar :lol2: . Seems a fair trade.

As others stated they need to breath, let the eggs sit for at least 3 days (preferably a week). Room tempis best but the fridge works too, especially in the summer heat. Washing the eggs under warm water as soon as collected allows them to breath the best by removing it's natural coating.

if you want to boil some eggs fresh eggs wont work at all.you have to let them set a week or 2 an then boil.an they peel easy.

Yes, it's the fresh factor and once they've 'aged' long enough, they'll peel just as easy as store bought. I've never experimented with the minimum number of days and our flock is small enough that supply rarely exceeds demand. Right now it's so hot, they're barely laying so sometimes, I'm out in the coop in the morning waiting to grab my breakfast egg :?

On that note, for those who have hot summers and cold winters, any recommendations on reliable layers? Our Ameracaunas and Marans are finicky with the weather.

2/B or not 2/B":1cg0v45s said:
On that note, for those who have hot summers and cold winters, any recommendations on reliable layers? Our Ameracaunas and Marans are finicky with the weather.

I wished I knew. I have 5 Ameraucanas, 8 Barred Rocks, 4 Marans and an Easter Egger. They almost all shut down when it was really hot and some went into a molt. For a while I was lucky to get 5 eggs a day. They have now come up to 10 - 12 a day. Seems like the heat will stop the most prolific layers dead in their tracks. I've bought some Silver Laced Wyandottes but won't know about them until next year.

any easter egger chicken that lays the colored eggs will stop laying from nov till feb or march.atlest mine always did.

Most stop laying when they molt, and again in the winter months when the days are shorter. They base it off number of daylight hours.

slick4591":2c6yj1ur said:
I wished I knew.
Bantams - they lay right through summer and winter, nothing stops them :banana: . Imagine peeling fresh bantam eggs :help:

Hook - try adding 2Tsp salt or Bicarb of Soda to your boiling water. When you have finished boiling eggs run them under cold water and then lie them in iced water for about 10 min. Crack them on either side, roll them a bit and peel.

hooknline":3eivhogn said:
Most stop laying when they molt, and again in the winter months when the days are shorter. They base it off number of daylight hours.
Which is the reason you put a light on a timer in the house with a low watt bulb. Keeps them laying year round. Then in the spring you force molt half of them and when they start laying again you force molt the other half. Start raising your replacement chicks at the same time and you'll never be out of fresh eggs.

2/B or not 2/B":1q1ejm4t said:
Buff Orpingtons lay really good for us, with hot summers and cold winters. only in very extreme heat or cold will they stop laying.

Have a friend that claims he fixed this problem by adding oyster shells to his laying hens' feed. Don't know if it really works, but he is a very trustworthy fellow. I've gotten fresh eggs from him an never had a problem peeling them.

2/B or not 2/B":2httxd3p said:
Yes, it's the fresh factor and once they've 'aged' long enough, they'll peel just as easy as store bought. I've never experimented with the minimum number of days and our flock is small enough that supply rarely exceeds demand. Right now it's so hot, they're barely laying so sometimes, I'm out in the coop in the morning waiting to grab my breakfast egg :?

I have Golden Comets, Isa Brown and Cherry Eggers all high production brown egg layers and they lay very well in both heat and cold,I do have a light on a timer during the winter and as Dun suggested I force molt 1/2 at a time.

2/B or not 2/B":164a1dvt said:
I use australorps and legorns. The legorns really crank for the warmest three quarters of the year and the australorps get it done for the coldest three quarters of the year.
FWIW, I crossed a white leghorn rooster with a black australorp hen and got a splash rooster that throws all blue chicks when crossed back to a black australorp and they lay year round. :mrgreen:

cow pollinater":okbkgufg said:
2/B or not 2/B":okbkgufg said:
I use australorps and legorns. The legorns really crank for the warmest three quarters of the year and the australorps get it done for the coldest three quarters of the year.
FWIW, I crossed a white leghorn rooster with a black australorp hen and got a splash rooster that throws all blue chicks when crossed back to a black australorp and they lay year round. :mrgreen:

Dang, you are a pollinater :tiphat: Interesting. I'll have to tell my wife about this.

If you can't wait a few days, I've always heard about a teaspoon of salt and a little vinegar in the boiling water will help with peeling fresh hard boiled eggs.

Found this elsewhere:
Boil the egg, drain the water from the pan, put the lid back on and give the pan a few shakes as if you were making popcorn (forward and back, as well as a little up and down). Next, add cold water to cover the eggs, let sit for one or two minutes, drain and peel. At this point, they should peel easily

Latest posts