stockpiling forage for Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

LuckyLegs

Reaction score
With the decent rain this summer and by moving towards a 1-2 day pasture rotation, I have been blessed with lots of grass this year - much more than the cows could keep up with. As we approach fall in S. Louisiana and the pasture will begin to go dormant, I have read around mid Oct for Bahia pasture (90% Bahia / 10% Bermuda), I have a few questions as far as stockpiling and grass management goes.

Currently, the cattle are rotated back to the areas they first grazed back in Apr-May where the grass is over mature and the oldest on my property. The areas they grazed within the last 20-45 days are shin/knee deep, lush and getting close to forming seed heads. Knowing I only have another 1-1.5 months before Bahia goes dormant, should I graze down this lush grass or continue on my current route and let the green stuff mature and graze in Nov/Dec (I am not sure of the protein content of Bahia left standing in a field after frost)? I also have set aside approx 1.5 months of grazing pasture that has not been grazed at all this year - I was gonna let the cows out on it and strip graze it late Dec/Jan - as an experiment to see what nutritional value it will have then, having been left untouched all summer.

I may also try broadcast seeding Rye in Nov/Dec to help fill that needed grazing window in Jan-Mar before spring starts to kick.

I am doing all this, with the ultimate goal of greatly reducing or eliminating my need for hay (I have adequate stored in the barn in case) which equates to more money in my pocket.

Thoughts???

I have been stockpiling coastal for several years now. It is my experience that you need to graze short or cut for hay the pasture that you want to stockpile so that you have fresh growth. You need to fertilize it in some way, either chicken litter earlier in the season or regular fertilizer. Put it out about 8 weeks before average frost. Doing it this way your protein level will be adequate for dry pregnant cows. If lactating you will have to supplement or have small grain / ryegrass to go with it. If you have a bunch of grass that is inadequate in quality, you can plant small grain or turnips next to the field, use electric fence to give them a little green with a section of dormant grass. Works really well with turnips because there is so little fiber in them, they will eat poor grass for the fiber. You can also broadcast ryegrass / clover on top of the stockpiled grass right in front of the cows and let them trample plant it. This only works if you have electric fence to confine them so that they only have 1-2 days worth of grass. I would only do this in Oct - Nov, Dec is probably too late. If you just give them rank dormant grass it that has not been fertilized and is too mature, it will likely be inadequate in protein and energy. Try to graze the worst first, watch the stool and supplement with protein if needed. Protein tubs or cubes work okay. If the stool is not stacking and condition okay then just don't graze it too short and you will be okay. Hope this helps.

Rye will have a hard time comming up in thick bahia. They recomend grazing it close or cutting close first. I think it helps bahia to be cut close after it is grazed anyway. It gets rid of the old tuff bitter grass and the new tinder comes out very fast.
YOu can put ot rye grass and rye now if you have the bahia clipped close. If you can drill rye in your bahia. you will like that in the spring.

Thanks guys, I typically mow once a week, the paddocks I previously grazed that week. I may try the idea of letting the cows trample in some rye seed since drilling it in isn't feasible for me. I usually broadcast then bushhog real close to kinda cover it/disturb the surface a little.