Stockpiling Fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
This is my first stab at stockpiling fescue for Nov/Dec grazing. Right now the grass is about 4 feet tall... great for a second cutting of hay. Should I cut it for hay (would probably get 20 or so 5x5 bales) or just let it be and let the girls on it later.

Its hot and dry here. I'm afraid if I cut it for hay now I won't have time to grow anything back for grazing.

I am just south of Chattanooga and we are in a bad drought. If I were you I would strip graze it and leave 5" give it some rest and do it again.

It is getting late to start but better late than never. If you have 4 ft fescue it must mean you have not cut it this year. If its 4ft of something else it would be a warm season grass that the first frost will kill. To properly stockpile fescue it should be cut, grazed, bush hogged down to 6" or so and if you can add nitrogen to it now. Its getting late in our area.

We've been through a drought here and when the rains came and the grass started growing we were then hit with army worms. They destroyed what grass we had left. Back to feeding hay. So, short answer is, if you have plenty of grass for the cows, cut it for hay. Never know when you will need it.

If the weather permits, I would hay it but cut it a little higher than you usually do. If it has much clover, put on about 30 lbs an acre of N, if not much clover put on 60 lbs acre of N

gota agree with dun on this one and if you dont have clover overseed 3lb acre after they eat it down along around first feb so any freez thaw will work it in .then another small shot fertilizer .or just nitrogem spring mid marc mid apri
just my thoughts

Latest posts