stock trailer size?

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley":yijco9ci said:
Be sure your trailer brakes work
X2. I hauled seven 500-600 lb calves this winter in my 16' bumper pull/1/2 ton truck. It was fairly unpleasant, trailer brakes would have been a huge help. My leaf springs are weak and I plan to go a step further and use a weight distribution hitch until I get a bigger truck. They can really move you around going down the interstate.

I've pulled my 24' GN with a 1/2 ton pickup before I bought a 3/4 ton with ten pairs on it. While not reccomended it can be done. A little common sense and being careful goes a long way. A 16' bumper pull with a 1/2 ton pickup will be fine. Take your time.

JMJ Farms":182gcm5n said:
I've pulled my 24' GN with a 1/2 ton pickup before I bought a 3/4 ton with ten pairs on it. While not reccomended it can be done. A little common sense and being careful goes a long way. A 16' bumper pull with a 1/2 ton pickup will be fine. Take your time.
I love my 16 foot goose neck for that reason if I have to use my 1/2 ton gasser.
Never crossed my mind to hook up the 24' one.

Caustic Burno":wodcz2op said:
JMJ Farms":wodcz2op said:
I love my 16 foot goose neck for that reason if I have to use my 1/2 ton gasser.
Never crossed my mind to hook up the 24' one.

I will be the first to say it probably wasn't smart CB, :???: but I didn't have many options, had to work with what I had. Only loaded it like that once. Most of the time it was only 3 or 4 cows. I just took my time and didn't get in a hurry. Pulled it fine, stopping is a little harder. Would never do it somewhere I was unfamiliar with or in a large city or high traffic area.

Terrain plays a part too. In flat country it's probably not so bad. It's very hilly around here, and that can increase the pucker factor quite a bit.

Speaking of trailer breaks, learned something new today. Apparently it is important that both axles have breaks, not just one. Thus saith the nice Florida DOT man... Never been checked before on a small trailer like that. He let me go, but wanted to be very convincing.