stock trailer size?

Help Support CattleToday:

seetribe

Reaction score
I am looking at picking up a used stock trailer and am wondering if it is big enough for my needs. The trailer is a 12 footer, with a tack/storage area in the front round area with a shelf for hay on top of that, making the floor space available about 8'. It has a center divider that would be removed. I would be hauling 2 decent sized beef cows to processor at a time. My biggest concern is would there be enough room for 2 good sized cows to be able to get turned around in the trailer for unloading. In the past I have borrowed a 16 footer and it was never an issue. Thank you for any info you can give me.

What about future growth in your operation .. An actual stock trailer may be better .. IMO I wouldn't buy a trailer smaller than 6 ft 8 in wide .. Length I'd probably buy at least 12 ft floor space .. I've had any where from 30 head to 140 head and a 24 ft 6 ft 8 trailer has worked fine for me .. I can haul 11 full grown cows in mine .. Welcome to the board

Thank you for your replies. I will most likely never need to haul more than 2 cows at a time as I only raise a couple a year for my family. Would probably prefer a 16 footer but can pick up the 12 for a very good price.

Hire it done and forget the trailer. If it was free the upkeep on it for 2 head at a time will be more that it would cost you to hire them hauled.

This advice is from someone that has a trailer hooked to the truck for months at a time and haul every week. If I could hire all I need done it would still be much easier and cheaper.

You didn't mention what size vehicle would be used to pull the trailer. That makes a difference in recommendations.

The question is if the trailer you are looking at is big enough to haul to large cows - the answer is yes.

Would be pulling with half ton 4x4. A bit on the light side but has worked in the past with borrowed trailers. My main concern was indeed the cows. Thank you

I sure do agree with KT on this one. Only hiccup being if you don't have anyone near you that hauls. But if you're only hauling to the butcher or even the salebarn, you can usually find someone local, give them a little notice, and let them take them in for you. Usually, your butcher will have a couple names of some local haulers. Good luck to you.

We have one in the family just like you describe. Two big calves is all that will go on it. I dont think you could get two cows on it. If one went one right behind the other. Maybe. The problem is not the space thats there. Its getting them to cooperate. We tried to load three calves once. 5-600 pounders. Two went on pretty easy. The third was half way on and couldnt get in. He had enough persuasion behind him to want in there but the other two wouldnt turn right for him. The divided was out both times i used it.

Trailer was listed as a stock trailer, but after looking into it a bit I believe it is a horse trailer. I have a feeling it would work if I cut out the tack wall in the front, but not sure it would be structurally sound anymore, or worth the trouble. Thanks everyone.

Sometimes it's hard to get animals to go into a dark hole.. Most of those steel sided horse trailers look very dark on a sunny day ..

seetribe":18c36pos said:
Trailer was listed as a stock trailer, but after looking into it a bit I believe it is a horse trailer. I have a feeling it would work if I cut out the tack wall in the front, but not sure it would be structurally sound anymore, or worth the trouble. Thanks everyone.

I agree. No need for a tack room and it's rear doors probably aren't set up for cattle.

In general, horse trailers are not cheap unless your getting it off a broke team roper.

Many horse trailers have a ramp door, and have slant load stalls rather than divider gates.

The fancy ones have living quarters up front. I've seen them upwards of 80 grand!

With a lot of respect to Kenny, I'm going to disagree with him a little: Unless you have the contacts to get hauling done "on-call", buy your own so you can haul something to the vet. Now if you can afford to lose one, disregard my advice and go with what Kenny said. That said, a trailer for stand-by is the most expensive trailer you can have and will have a BIG negative ROI.

I don't have cattle myself anymore, but I still keep my old WW 16' bumper pull around and keep it licensed and road worthy. Comes in handy for lots of stuff besides hauling livestock :idea:

This past year I helped a neighbor haul pairs to summer pasture, made 3 trips a day for 2 days. Helped another neighbor haul calves to the sale barn in late Oct. In between, I hauled my zero turn mower and ATV to various gigs over the summer and fall :p

And of course, sometimes someone just needs to borrow it for the day ;-)

Have used a 5wX14L four wheel bumper pull for 40 plus years center gate and rear gate is 1/2 slide easy loading. It is tight but you can put 4 cows med size or three bigger eared cows in. Most of the time we pulled with a 3/4 ton. have pulled using 1/2 ton 4X4. The 1/2 ton will pull it but it's harder to stop it. Can put 4 to 6 calves in depending on their size.

R.T.":3ekjt6w8 said:
Have used a 5wX14L four wheel bumper pull for 40 plus years center gate and rear gate is 1/2 slide easy loading. It is tight but you can put 4 cows med size or three bigger eared cows in. Most of the time we pulled with a 3/4 ton. have pulled using 1/2 ton 4X4. The 1/2 ton will pull it but it's harder to stop it. Can put 4 to 6 calves in depending on their size.

It would have to be one heck of a deal for me to buy a 5'W trailer. IMO, 6'W is much better because it is more usable :idea:

As far as other uses go, hauling an ATV is a PIA in a 5W trailer. Not sure I could even make my 54" lawn mower fit, it's already pretty tight in the 6W trailer with the grass deflector folded down.

I figure you can get 6 - 1000 lb cows or 12 - 500 lb calves comfortably in a 6x16. Perhaps another cow or a couple more calves for shorter trips. A half ton can pull it, but 3/4 is much better.

Hunt you a good used 16' stock trailer and don't look back. Take care of it and you can always get your money back and possibly more. A 1/2 ton pickup truck will pull and stop it fine.

Latest posts