Stock Market

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Well, thanks to OPEC :clap: , it's taken a big, HUGE, dump this week. I'm trying to plan ahead and save for my son's college fund, and it looks like he'll be able to afford to go to free Preschool now :dunce: . I've read that if you own anything now is the time to sell before the bottom really drops out. I hope we have an economy left after this because from everything I've read it's going to be pretty severe.

Bestoutwest":1b6x8uqf said:
Well, thanks to OPEC :clap: , it's taken a big, HUGE, dump this week. I'm trying to plan ahead and save for my son's college fund, and it looks like he'll be able to afford to go to free Preschool now :dunce: . I've read that if you own anything now is the time to sell before the bottom really drops out. I hope we have an economy left after this because from everything I've read it's going to be pretty severe.

This is the mentality that keeps everything on the downslide. While 'the masses' pull out, those in it for the long haul will make money.....eventually. Like most things, have to ride out the good times and bad. It is nerve-wracking to pull up your investments and see losses, but no different then cattle really. It all moves around.

I'm much more concerned with the $4.50 drop in the cattle futures today because every calf we own has an expiration date on it whereas I'm in the big market for the long haul and am prepared to ride out the dips and drops.

What goes up must come down and vice a versa.

Getting into the stock market when the Dow Jones is up and selling when it goes down is like jumping in the cattle business when cattle are high and selling out when prices fall.

Bestoutwest":152d2jzy said:
I read the RBS article too. Things like that come out periodically, and this one was based more on the forecast for China than Saudi Arabia's oil production.

As an aside, I don't like low oil prices one bit, andlike Saudi Arabia even less, but the truth is, Saudi has not increased production much if at all. The rest of the producing world has increased production over the last few years, and that has helped cause the problem. All Saudi really did, was to maintain production instead of dropping it like they did in past years when prices dropped due to a glut of surplus crude. Some of the other OPEC nations went along with Saudi and some did increase production but not by much. Iran's sanctions being lifted won't help matters any, as they will soon be selling oil on the world market again too.

bball":14ap25ry said:
This is the mentality that keeps everything on the downslide. While 'the masses' pull out, those in it for the long haul will make money.....eventually. Like most things, have to ride out the good times and bad. It is nerve-wracking to pull up your investments and see losses, but no different then cattle really. It all moves around.

This isn't of my own volition or that of the masses. This was from the Royal Bank of Scotland. To me, when the pro's say that there's turbulence ahead, I listen. I haven't sold off the mutual funds, but I think that individual stocks are not the place to put one's money at the moment.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/investi ... -year-rbs/

TennesseeTuxedo":20403504 said:
I'm much more concerned with the $4.50 drop in the cattle futures today because every calf we own has an expiration date on it whereas I'm in the big market for the long haul and am prepared to ride out the dips and drops.

That drop was every month to.

Bestoutwest":25ie4z6t said:
bball":25ie4z6t said:

This isn't of my own volition or that of the masses. This was from the Royal Bank of Scotland. To me, when the pro's say that there's turbulence ahead, I listen. I haven't sold off the mutual funds, but I think that individual stocks are not the place to put one's money at the moment.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/12/investi ... -year-rbs/

:lol2: 'the pros' are the ones who will be buying up all those stocks for pennies on the dollar while 'everyone' else is selling. The stock market is nothing more than reactions to information..often times overreaction to misinformation or speculation. Takes nerve to hang in; again, just like cattle. Money will be made, just like in '08. Some folks will see the opportunities, and some folks will be running scared.

Sell now?
Who ever said that must of been dropped on their head, or was wanting to buy cheaper stock while everyone is selling.

"You don't lose money, if you don't sell."
Remember those words, a smart millionaire said them.

Workinonit Farm":1krc68fk said:
Bestoutwest":1krc68fk said:
I've read that if you own anything now is the time to sell before the bottom really drops out.

Seems to me, that this would be a decent time to buy, while prices have dropped.

Last 2 massive sell-offs saw the down drop 35-40%. This may just be the beginning of the pain. Personally, I'm staying out and just planning to rebuild the herd over the next 3 years.

May be tempted to buy stocks again but I would like to see utilities at 10 times earnings for instance.

Bigfoot":ooadxzna said:
TennesseeTuxedo":ooadxzna said:

That drop was every month to.

True BF but I hope you get my point on the calves. Eventually they top out or bottom out in value and then begin to turn downward in value for good. Solid stocks can and eventually do come back.

bball":1zl7049d said:
Bestoutwest":1zl7049d said:

Bought today.

Rafter S":3cahk995 said:
Getting into the stock market when the Dow Jones is up and selling when it goes down is like jumping in the cattle business when cattle are high and selling out when prices fall.

I agree. Buy when everyone else is selling, and sell when everyone else is buying. Today I got $1900 in checks sent off to purchase shares of 15 different stocks and one mutual fund. As Dave Ramsey said yesterday, when a stock go down to a bargain price, it is a buying opportunity, much like a blue light special at KMart :idea:

I also used entirely recycled envelopes salvaged from all the junk mail I get. I block out and/or put stickers over whatever is on the front of the envelope. Use the clear back side of the envelope for the address and put my own return address sticker and stamp on it. Maybe this guy is Mr Green :mrgreen:

I had to go back to work because of the crash in 2008 stocks and a bank investment. Fuel is only one bomb away from going to $4.00+ again, and if it does you ain't seen nothing yet. The stock market is a reflection of the economy, and we all know how that looks.
But I'm sure I'm missing a great opportunity but I think I'll keep what little I have.

bball":27qmckcd said:
:lol2: 'the pros' are the ones who will be buying up all those stocks for pennies on the dollar while 'everyone' else is selling. The stock market is nothing more than reactions to information..often times overreaction to misinformation or speculation. Takes nerve to hang in; again, just like cattle. Money will be made, just like in '08. Some folks will see the opportunities, and some folks will be running scared.
I think you're seeing some serious corrections being made as all that gov't money that has been propping it up the last years is being pulled out. It may go back up some but it hasn't hit bottom yet.

My plan is to keep contributing (ir)regularly to my DRIPs at $25, $50, $100 a pop. For those that charge an investment fee, $250 is my minimum.

At some point when I need the money, I intend to stop the DRIP, keep the stock, and have dividends paid in cash. Not sure I can live off the divends so I might have to start selling off stock at that point.

At any rate, most stock dividends still beat the almost non-existent interest the bank pays.

Latest posts