Still no hay

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":1r1wpw3n said:
you cut hay and baled it the next day in upstate new york with thick hay?

I'd be checking on it daily if its in a barn..

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Feel them, if they start to feel hot, toss them outside!

You did fine. You started. Learning by the "trial by fire" method, sometimes is best. You had to start sometime. In my (humble) opinion, getting started, having some breakdowns and not having everything go perfectly is OKAY for your 1st time. I'm sure you've learned more this way, than had everything gone right.

Yes, we are def checking it. We didn't stack it and left room between each bale.
To clarify, we didn't bale any the very next day after cutting. What we baled yesterday was cut Friday (a few strips were finished Sat am I think); tedded and raked over the weekend, baled yesterday. It was cloudy yesterday, and we've had heavy dew. One more day would have been perfect. Oh well.
The equipment and its operation is a learning curve, but the biggest challenge has just been (surprise surprise) the weather

If you're worried about them being a touch wet, when i was a boy, the ol timers would stack them on edge (claimed they breathed better) and sprinkled with some loose salt..congrats on your first go round!

bball":2srlxmk3 said:
If you're worried about them being a touch wet, when i was a boy, the ol timers would stack them on edge (claimed they breathed better) and sprinkled with some loose salt..congrats on your first go round!

yep.. pour salt all over them. it'll help

interesting, thanks! We did stack them on edge. Newbie question: cattle salt or table? We have loose minerals but not loose (cow) salt. How much per bale?

Just loose cattle salt.. it was a handful sprinkled over the bale. Nothing real crazy, but I'm sure everyone does it different

Latest posts