Stihl MS460 downsize or die with.

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
Hey guys. Can I have your 20 cents worth. I have a Stihl MS 460 that I bought new when I was a farmer in a serious way loads of wood to cut. Now I am on 30 acres working a job and got a young family. I am running a broad scale saw to prune trees in the garden. I buy my firewood as in this area wood is hard to come buy. I am thinking I should down size to a mid sized saw. Possibly an Echo CS 420ES. Smaller lighter. I will probably only use the his saw 8 hours a year maximum. Any thoughts? Part of me loves my saw and part of me is sick of swinging the big saw about lopping branches. And no I can't have both saws. I want to be a low cost one saw kinda guy. Thanks.

Last edited:
Should of mentioned. Looking at the Echo because the local dealer ticks the boxes. Don't rate the Husky dealer in town and not sure if I need another Stihl.

If you dont want to have two saws then downsize. I will not be getting rid of my 460 but i wouldnt want to use it for little stuff all the time So i have a 261 as well. On the other hand, i could probably manage to use the 460 for 8 hours a year….

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have the mentality if I am not going to use a machine or tool again and it's worth dollars trade and swing the dollars into something else. The saw I i n is a great saw but I bought it for a big farm with lots of bush. Realistically if I bought a saw for my patch today it would be a mid size. Second question. How do we feel about Echo as a brand. I like the dealer I live near and they seem like well thought of saw. I would look harder at Husky but the local dealer is a smart Alec. I would end up buying all my chains at the echo dealer anyway. I don't support shopkeepers that are smart Alec s to your face.

I wouldn't own anything but a Stihl. But 20 years of falling timber sort of made one way on that subject. To me a 460 is a mid size saw. I have a 290 and an 066. The 290 is nice for trimming bushes. I ran too many big saws in my life. If I am going to start a saw I want it to cut through in a hurry.

I guess it mostly depends on if you will ever have a need in the future to saw up some bigger wood. It's a lot easier to cut small wood with a big saw than it is the other way around.

Echo makes a nice saw, shouldn't have any trouble with it if the dealer sets it up right.

A Stihl MS460 is one of my favorites as they are about 2 lbs. lighter than a MS660, but close in power. Just took down 2 large dead trees today with a MS460 wearing a 28" bar. Also just got done a few days ago refurbishing these 10 MS460s 046s saws. If you want to add a second saw or have a one saw plan look at the MS261 with a regular carburetor, unless you want M-tronic . On the Echo take a look at the CS-490 as it is more like a pro built saw instead of the one you are looking at. I have had a couple of those and pretty impressed. On the battery powered they are nice, but with the battery mounted you have the weight of the MS261 and that Picco chain sure is not a .325 or 3/8 chain when it comes to cutting, but they have their place.

xBp0dRA.jpg

4oPWrhm.jpg

Last edited:
Wow nice collection. I looked up the CS490. Not sure if we they are still available. Yeah not a fan of the Pico chain. 3/8 or 325 suit me best. As much as anything I feel like swapping to the Echo because I have never looked at anything but Stihl. I don't like the smaller stools like 291 they don't feel great in the hand.

I wouldn't own anything but a Stihl. But 20 years of falling timber sort of made one way on that subject. To me a 460 is a mid size saw. I have a 290 and an 066. The 290 is nice for trimming bushes. I ran too many big saws in my life. If I am going to start a saw I want it to cut through in a hurry.
Spot on

Had a profession tree guy(Only thing he does) take down a big apricot tree in back yard.. Brought 2 different Stihl sizes. Asked why and he said I use the smaller one(14-16 inch) at least 95% of the time, smaller, easier to handle and lighter on almost every tree I take down. Used larger one to cut off the main trunk only

A Stihl MS460 is one of my favorites as they are about 2 lbs. lighter than a MS660, but close in power. Just took down 2 large dead trees today with a MS460 wearing a 28" bar. Also just got done a few days ago refurbishing these 10 MS460s 046s saws. If you want to add a second saw or have a one saw plan look at the MS261 with a regular carburetor, unless you want M-tronic . On the Echo take a look at the CS-490 as it is more like a pro built saw instead of the one you are looking at. I have had a couple of those and pretty impressed. On the battery powered they are nice, but with the battery mounted you have the weight of the MS261 and that Picco chain sure is not a .325 or 3/8 chain when it comes to cutting, but they have their place.

xBp0dRA.jpg

4oPWrhm.jpg
I might be the tallest leprechaun known to man (6'2"), but I am totally green with envy over here.🤤🤤🤤 So many great saws, all gathered in one place. Looks like one big, happy family reunion!!! Any chance you wanna part with one? I would gladly trade you a few top notch beaver pelts and a handful of colorful glass beads. I could even throw in a few shiny trinkets, if that would seal the deal for ya?

xBp0dRA.jpg

4oPWrhm.jpg
I might be the tallest leprechaun known to man (6'2"), but I am totally green with envy over here.🤤🤤🤤 So many great saws, all gathered in one place. Looks like one big, happy family reunion!!! Any chance you wanna part with one? I would gladly trade you a few top notch beaver pelts and a handful of colorful glass beads. I could even throw in a few shiny trinkets, if that would seal the deal for ya?

Hey guys. Can I have your 20 cents worth. I have a Stihl MS 460 that I bought new when I was a farmer in a serious way loads of wood to cut. Now I am on 30 acres working a job and got a young family. I am running a broad scale saw to prune trees in the garden. I buy my firewood as in this area wood is hard to come buy. I am thinking I should down size to a mid sized saw. Possibly an Echo CS 420ES. Smaller lighter. I will probably only use the his saw 8 hours a year maximum. Any thoughts? Part of me loves my saw and part of me is sick of swinging the big saw about lopping branches. And no I can't have both saws. I want to be a low cost one saw kinda guy. Thanks.
You should trade me for one of my ECHO saws. You definitely don't want to throw a shoulder out lugging that giant behemoth of a saw, simply to cut some small stuff. One of these smaller/lighter ECHO saws will make your back, arms and shoulders much happier, your orthopedist, not so much. 🤣😂🤣😂

I have had my Stihl ms250 for eight or nine years, I replace the spark plug and air filter every year and I know I can count on it starting every time on the second pull, first being the "fire pull" on full choke. Shopping Craigslist stihl should their value better than any other brand, husqvarna is a close second. Would never own anything else, Stihl has never let me down.

It is a high price saw, but I absolutely recommend the Stihl MS 261! With the right and sharp chain It will out cut with less effort anything up to the Stihl 440 or 460 and most other brands. (I have a 261 and a 460). However, It is a full pro saw. Due to the high torque of this saw, the horsepower rating is misleading when comparing competitors saws even the Stihl homeowner and mid grade saws. Since you already have a Stihl MS 460, I doubt you are going to be happy with a lot of saws if you were cutting firewood or a large tree. The Stihl MS 261 is light weight, handy, and will really cut with the right Stihl chisel chain. However, only trimming small branches and wanting something at low costs, my advise granted does not fit your situation. But would not even be a consideration for me for the few times needing to cut larger fallen limbs, occasional larger tree and fire wood. Sometimes firewood comes available when you least expect it.

Latest posts