Stihl MS460 downsize or die with.

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a Stihl MS194T with an 18in bar. It is a tip handle saw and with the longer bar I don't have to reach up or down as far to trim with. I also have a couple of Echo saws, 3 poulans, and a red max. I love working with the stihl as it is a one handed top handle arborist saw. My big Echo has a 24in bar and another one has a 18. I don't know either echo model. The Red Max is also a top handle and was used a lot when we were doing survey work. The Go-to saws are the Poulans. I have some Latino friends who help me clear fences. I get out the Poulans and the Chain sharpener with an inverter. They go to work clearing fencerow and I start sharpening chains. I keep 3 chains for each saw. They hit a lot of wires and rocks. The Poulans were bought at tractor supply the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago. They were $99 ea. They just keep on going... The Red Max ould no start last time I used it. The Stihl I love, but the kill switch quit working within the first hour I had it, have to choke it to stop. One of my echo saws I bought new the big one was from a pawn shop. The one I bought new started running rough and I quit using it. I found out later that I had the oil mixture too rich...

Thanks guys for the feedback. I have the mentality if I am not going to use a machine or tool again and it's worth dollars trade and swing the dollars into something else. The saw I i n is a great saw but I bought it for a big farm with lots of bush. Realistically if I bought a saw for my patch today it would be a mid size. Second question. How do we feel about Echo as a brand. I like the dealer I live near and they seem like well thought of saw. I would look harder at Husky but the local dealer is a smart Alec. I would end up buying all my chains at the echo dealer anyway. I don't support shopkeepers that are smart Alec s to your face.
Hey guys. Can I have your 20 cents worth. I have a Stihl MS 460 that I bought new when I was a farmer in a serious way loads of wood to cut. Now I am on 30 acres working a job and got a young family. I am running a broad scale saw to prune trees in the garden. I buy my firewood as in this area wood is hard to come buy. I am thinking I should down size to a mid sized saw. Possibly an Echo CS 420ES. Smaller lighter. I will probably only use the his saw 8 hours a year maximum. Any thoughts? Part of me loves my saw and part of me is sick of swinging the big saw about lopping branches. And no I can't have both saws. I want to be a low cost one saw kinda guy. Thanks.
I really like my Dewalt electric chainsaw. We have 11 acres of trees and I cut a lot.

That 460 will hold value well, and probably appreciate if it's in nice condition. I'm not one to get rid of stuff, I'd add a second saw and keep the 460 as well.. everyone always talks about the "3 saw plan".. Usually it's a tophandle or MS170 for the small saw, then something like a Husqvarna 550 (might be an option for you), and then a larger saw like your 460... for some people they might use the 550 for the small saw, then have a 044/460 and then an 066, 088, 394, 2100, 3120 or something as a really big brute

I replaced my chain saws with dewalt batteries because I use dewalt battery tools. It has all the power that I need. It will make more than 20 cuts on a 6" tree. When the battery runs out I switch to a sawzall for cleanup. I am cleaning up a 1,500' fenceline, so when the battery goes out, I appreciate being done for the day. Not full of piss and vinegar any more!

I have a Stihl MS194T with an 18in bar. It is a tip handle saw and with the longer bar I don't have to reach up or down as far to trim with. I also have a couple of Echo saws, 3 poulans, and a red max. I love working with the stihl as it is a one handed top handle arborist saw. My big Echo has a 24in bar and another one has a 18. I don't know either echo model. The Red Max is also a top handle and was used a lot when we were doing survey work. The Go-to saws are the Poulans. I have some Latino friends who help me clear fences. I get out the Poulans and the Chain sharpener with an inverter. They go to work clearing fencerow and I start sharpening chains. I keep 3 chains for each saw. They hit a lot of wires and rocks. The Poulans were bought at tractor supply the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago. They were $99 ea. They just keep on going... The Red Max ould no start last time I used it. The Stihl I love, but the kill switch quit working within the first hour I had it, have to choke it to stop. One of my echo saws I bought new the big one was from a pawn shop. The one I bought new started running rough and I quit using it. I found out later that I had the oil mixture too rich...
I did like my 'pull ons'

I had a 6 saw plan and then changed it at least a dozen times. Here is one of my 6 saw plans I have a picture of.

ECatXhJ.jpg

I replaced my chain saws with dewalt batteries because I use dewalt battery tools. It has all the power that I need. It will make more than 20 cuts on a 6" tree. When the battery runs out I switch to a sawzall for cleanup. I am cleaning up a 1,500' fenceline, so when the battery goes out, I appreciate being done for the day. Not full of piss and vinegar any more!
Thanks great tip. As an overall I am looking at a new drill, impact driver cordless grinder combo. So I am now keeping in mind cordless chainsaw. Not full of piss and vinegar. That's defiantly where I am coming from. I'm not trying to take the world over anymore. Just polishing the piece I hold😜

I had a 6 saw plan and then changed it at least a dozen times. Here is one of my 6 saw plans I have a picture of.

ECatXhJ.jpg
I have all old stuff.. I would like something like a Husky 550 if I could get a fair price on one
I have a little Stihl tophandle (009L I think it was? 007?), the 550 would be a nice step up from there, then I have a 372XPGXT and the 044, I have a couple 288's, a couple 394's, and a couple 2100's
I put the 2100 to work a few weeks back taking a slab off about 6 trees like this, 33 ft long, about 18" average actual cut20210609_185727.jpg

Then they fit on the mill.. we ended up with about 8000 BF of lumber from the trees we had
20210610_112023.jpg

I have all old stuff.. I would like something like a Husky 550 if I could get a fair price on one
I have a little Stihl tophandle (009L I think it was? 007?), the 550 would be a nice step up from there, then I have a 372XPGXT and the 044, I have a couple 288's, a couple 394's, and a couple 2100's
I put the 2100 to work a few weeks back taking a slab off about 6 trees like this, 33 ft long, about 18" average actual cutView attachment 5784

Then they fit on the mill.. we ended up with about 8000 BF of lumber from the trees we had
View attachment 5785
What kind of loader is that in the background of the first pic. I ask because I have a JD 350 track loader that looks very similar. that is nice milling set up btw.

I put the 2100 to work a few weeks back taking a slab off about 6 trees like this, 33 ft long, about 18" average actual cutView attachment 5784

View attachment 5785
That is nice. A neighbor had a wood mizer and the lumber did not even need planed after milled.

That is nice. A neighbor had a wood mizer and the lumber did not even need planed after milled.
same with this, it's really nicely cut.. just one pass on each face with a planer would make it smooth.. from all that cutting there's only a couple wheelbarrows worth of sawdust too

I have Stihl 261. It's not cheap because it's on the Pro line of saws, but it's weight to power ration is much better than what you get from Stihl's home or farm grade saws. It's a pleasure to run with an 18" bar.

Hey guys. Can I have your 20 cents worth. I have a Stihl MS 460 that I bought new when I was a farmer in a serious way loads of wood to cut. Now I am on 30 acres working a job and got a young family. I am running a broad scale saw to prune trees in the garden. I buy my firewood as in this area wood is hard to come buy. I am thinking I should down size to a mid sized saw. Possibly an Echo CS 420ES. Smaller lighter. I will probably only use the his saw 8 hours a year maximum. Any thoughts? Part of me loves my saw and part of me is sick of swinging the big saw about lopping branches. And no I can't have both saws. I want to be a low cost one saw kinda guy. Thanks.
I have a cs490 50cc saw , It's reasonably priced and lite weight, I was using for cutting fence post and firewood worked just fine , It's not the Stilh ms260 class saw but I enjoy the light weight and is still useable power for 10" and down oak.

What kind of loader is that in the background of the first pic. I ask because I have a JD 350 track loader that looks very similar. that is nice milling set up btw.
That's exactly what it is! Super handy machine.. I'm looking for a new backhoe attachment for it and they're really hard to find around here. I've moved some big stuff with it.

Last fall I blew the cushion drive between the engine and reverser, the springs were totally worn out and stretched, they finally let go with a lot of noise. Thankfully I had the old Ford County to tow it back home.
Removing the engine wasn't as bad a job as I thought it would be, the radiator is part of the engine assembly, pull the front grill, hydraulic pump unbolts and drops down, don't need to disconnect the hoses, a couple wires and fuel lines, undo the bell housing bolts and lift it out... New parts are expensive (each spring is $100 x 5), but I found some used ones (from texas actually), the drive hub often gets worn splines, I got a replacement for that too but didnt' need it.. those are like $800 from JD I think
20201021_133657.jpg

20201021_133503.jpg

It had to work hard to lift that 5500 lb lathe!
20200628_114142.jpg

I used mine to backfill and clear out where my house now sits, I can remember picking whole stacks of bricks to move them and I crept along with the rear end off of the ground just using the front of the tracks. Mine has cleats welded to the tracks so traction is never a problem. I need to put a starter on it now and see if I can get it running again.

Mine has a roll cage and a PTO on the back.

I used mine to backfill and clear out where my house now sits, I can remember picking whole stacks of bricks to move them and I crept along with the rear end off of the ground just using the front of the tracks. Mine has cleats welded to the tracks so traction is never a problem. I need to put a starter on it now and see if I can get it running again.

Mine has a roll cage and a PTO on the back.
Ours had the tracks widened with swamp pads.. (do you see any swamp?).. they don't like crawling over rock, quite a few pads are busted.. the undercarriage does need some attention, some rock guards are bowed out, front idler guide is pretty worn too

Well just an update. I did this. Sold the MS 460 and MS 170. Bought a CS4510es Echo. Very happy with the lighter newer saw. Left with some cash in my pocket. Not a bad out come for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts