Stihl chansaws arent so tough

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":1n1ad1z1 said:
I probably have the worlds largest collection of gas chainsaws for an individual. I have Stihls, Husquvarna, Echos, Homelites, McCulluch and Poulan. In my job I get them free (I am in the electric chainsaw mfg. business and we benchmark the gas models). By far and away the Stihls are the best. No question. Next is the Husquvarna. Then the Echo. The rest are about the same. All but the Stihl and Husquvarna are made in China. When I need a big tree cut I grab the Stihl.

No doubt about it, the Stihl is the best. I recently bought a new 361 and have used it a bunch already. The other day I got the brite idea to saw the logs into firewood instead of splitting them, I swear I think it cuts them faster than splitting! :nod: Made in the USA also, you don't find much of that anymore! :banana:

Do you have any Jonsreds?.. I hear they are a husky relative..

We have always run husky 65's.. my dad got the first one the week I was born, the only thing we've done to it is file the points (only once), and we have 2 others... they work good except for underwater is what i found, the old Homelite with manual oiler did well underwater when we had runoff water and there was a tree stump stuck in our intake system. I never liked the stihl's much for chainsaws, but we have a stihl weedwacker which is great (my dad hates it though)

As for driving over stuff, a guy I knew has you all beat.. he drove over his brand new 4x4 truck with a cat 966 loader.. it didn't pass the test.. at all

I don't think anything is made for driving on anymore.

My 14 year old drove over her go-cart on her 5 week of driving. The funny part was she panic when he hit something and slammed her foot on the gas and went through a fence and stalled it out in the ditch. The go-cart and fence lost that one.

I was so mad I pulled her out of the truck and put her in a different one and made her finish the job we were working on. When we were done we started looking at the truck and there was no way to get it out unless we picking up the front end. After the tow truck left we fixed the fence and I took her out for Ice cream because I felt guilty about it.

I am sitting here trying to think of all the different ways I have personally or observed pressure testing of Stihl chain saws and other brands. It is a long list. Log trucks, log loaders (either dropping the log on the saw or walking the machine over it), yarders dragging logs over a saw, yarder pulling a tail hold or breaking a cable while a saw was hung in the riggin, driving over them with D8, D7, D6 cats, rubber tired skidder, bucking off a log and have it grab the saw and take it rolling down the hill, and of course the all time favorite falling a tree on it. My personal best was a two day old Stihl 056. I had a 5 foot in diameter Douglas fir about 200 feet tall twist while coming off the stump and grab the saw. At times like that it is every man for himself. I ran, the saw didn't. I saved the gas cap. Went to the saw shop and had them put a new saw under the cap. For some reason they said the warranty wouldn't cover it.

After years of exhaustive research I have come to the conclusion that Stilh saws will hold up to tons of smashing force about as well as any other brand. That is to say, you can generally save the gas cap.

And I wish I had a dollar for every time I took the motor off the bar while the bar was stuck in a tree or log. You don't need a spare saw. Just a spare bar and chain.

Dave":j1qh1pmr said:
And I wish I had a dollar for every time I took the motor off the bar while the bar was stuck in a tree or log. You don't need a spare saw. Just a spare bar and chain.

It is a good idea, definitely less to carry around... with a lot of luck, you might be able to get away with pulling the bar out and leaving the chain too, since that's usually what gets the most stuck

dun":lekebowa said:
Today while hauling an 18 inch diameter 20 foot long ceder pole suspended from the tractor bucket I drove over the back half of the chainsaw. Darn thing won;t start now. Looks like besides the exterior case that the fuel tank is cracked.

Did you save your receipt? It could be a warranty issue.

I have a friend that has had 2 Husky chainsaws. Both saws, after a full day of work, stopped and will not fire. They will turn over and crank but no fire. HE is going to switch to Stihl.

After experience with both and selling both, I have to go with Stihl saws all the way. On the other hand, the best value for the money in a riding mower is a Husqvarna. (They also make some of the other quality brands.). I own a zero turn, though the quitest one I've ever heard was a standard riding mower with a v twin briggs and straton.

Latest posts