Stiff legs on calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Here is the scenario:

- Week old normal healthy calf wandered away from cow and herd into the bush about 100 feet.

- Sat in a snow bank/ice bank for some time (occurred after dark).

- In morning, discovered calf. Looked chilled and would not get up. Dragged it out, back to herd, pulling on both front feet.

- Calf still wouldn't get up, had to bottle feed it.

- Brought calf into barn and still bottle feeding it.

- Gave it a 2nd cc of selenium (all calves get one cc at birth).

- Got calf standing up on its own, but it doesn't bend knees to walk and tuckers out pretty quickly, flopping to the floor.

- It is going on 48 hours since the calf laid down in the snow bank.

- Any ideas? :cowboy:

Aaron, I doubt if it's illness has anything to do with laying in the snow except maybe in a weakened condition got chilled. It was ill then wondered off. Manure normal? I would give it electrolytes and Oxytetracycline.

I wonder if the calf is dehydrated ? I think I would try some additional fluids along with some Excenel and Dexamethasone, add Scour Halt in the milk .

Larry

Update on the calf.

Was able to get up on its own earlier today. Just came in from the barn and it is walking around normally again, bending its knees.

Extra cc of selenium seems to have turned it around.

Thanks everybody. :cowboy:

Sorry, forgot, you might not use the same brand names. BoSe & MuSe are Selenium suppliments.
You said "all calves get one cc at birth".
BoSe is less concentrated than MuSe. Dosage for MuSe (M = Momma) is 1 cc for 200# and the Dosage for BoSe (B = Baby)(these are MY terms to explain the differences :lol: ) is 3.75 cc / 100# (we actually give 4cc per calf).
I was just wondering if you were using BoSe & only gave 1 cc - but your products are probably totally different.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2n9wtenw said:
Sorry, forgot, you might not use the same brand names. BoSe & MuSe are Selenium suppliments.
You said "all calves get one cc at birth".
BoSe is less concentrated than MuSe. Dosage for MuSe (M = Momma) is 1 cc for 200# and the Dosage for BoSe (B = Baby)(these are MY terms to explain the differences :lol: ) is 3.75 cc / 100# (we actually give 4cc per calf).
I was just wondering if you were using BoSe & only gave 1 cc - but your products are probably totally different.

This is the label.

SELENIUM-E

Vétoquinol

STERILE INJECTION

DIN 02016737

Veterinary Use Only

WARNING: Not for use in lactating dairy cattle. Do not administer at less than 30 days intervals. Treated animals must not be slaughtered for use in food for at least 35 days after the latest treatment with this drug. Do not exceed recommended dose.

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS (per mL)

Selenium (as sodium selenite)

3.0 mg

dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E)

136 I.U.

PRESERVATIVES:

Methylparaben

1 mg/mL

Propylparaben

0.2 mg/mL

INDICATIONS: For the prevention and treatment of white muscle disease (muscular dystrophy) in calves and lambs.

DOSAGE: Administer intramuscularly. Prevention: Calves: All ages, 1 mL per 45 kg body weight. Lambs: Newborn, 1/4 mL. 2-8 weeks, 1/2 mL. Treatment: Calves: 2 mL per 45 kg body weight. Lambs: 1/2 mL.

STORAGE: Store between 15° and 25 °C.

Vétoquinol N.-A. Inc., 2000, ch. Georges, Lavaltrie, QC, Canada J5T 3S5

Net

Code

50 mL

1005B

100 mL

1005B

NAC No.: 12341883

Latest posts