Stewing

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":y6cdbyjq said:
bad advice maybe,, horrible is a little strong... But then I just like to deal in reality.

Horrible is a bit strong, and I also deal in reality. The reality of this situation is that the boss deserves to lose a good employee. Also, the reality is that there may, or may not, be legal ramifications from doing this to an employee. If it was $20, I'd say take it on the chin and try to make it up somewhere else, but $1,050 is a whole other story. Like I stated in my original post, I'd contact a lawyer and go talk to him about it. 30 minutes of time, and $150, may save $1,050. It may not. The movie is not reality, but it's hilarious. The PI could be a reality if you really upset someone. Have a good day :tiphat: .

Cross-7":1xnbu6be said:
I've tried to fully clarify the situation.
So back to the original question.
Is it legal and is there anyone I can report it to ?

Legally damage's may be deducted from a employees check as long as now one check is pulled below minimum wage.

callmefence":2hxifc3c said:
Cross-7":2hxifc3c said:

Legally damage's may be deducted from a employees check as long as now one check is pulled below minimum wage.

Maybe I can bill him for lost sales due to not having an adequate amount of stock on hand.
I have a big order pending as we speak.
The customer has already said if we can't produce the product he's canceling and placing his orde elsewhere

Cross-7":3rbvbkln said:
callmefence":3rbvbkln said:
Cross-7":3rbvbkln said:

Maybe I can bill him for lost sales due to not having an adequate amount of stock on hand.
I have a big order pending as we speak.
The customer has already said if we can't produce the product he's canceling and placing his orde elsewhere

Turnabout is fair play.

D2Cat":3li5cnvg said:
Cross-7":3li5cnvg said:

You also said, "I would like to see him backed down and get a taste of his own medicine."

and "I've been there since 1987 and never done anything else and don't want to."

So your question of it's legality and who to report it to give him a taste of his own medicine will surely end up with you finding other employment.

Contact the potential customer who purchased the item else ware and offer a discount to clear it out, or list it on Ebay. But you have to get beyond this particular incident if you want to continue employment there.

Ya, but.......Give em an inch, and they take a mile. If it's ok this time, it's ok next time. I see both sides, just not the boss being a dick to loyal employees. It sounds wrong and illegal to me. Workplace injuries happen. Just sayin. :wave:

Farm Fence Solutions":2b48vfff said:
D2Cat":2b48vfff said:
Cross-7":2b48vfff said:

You also said, "I would like to see him backed down and get a taste of his own medicine."

and "I've been there since 1987 and never done anything else and don't want to."

So your question of it's legality and who to report it to give him a taste of his own medicine will surely end up with you finding other employment.

Contact the potential customer who purchased the item else ware and offer a discount to clear it out, or list it on Ebay. But you have to get beyond this particular incident if you want to continue employment there.

Ya, but.......Give em an inch, and they take a mile. If it's ok this time, it's ok next time. I see both sides, just not the boss being a dick to loyal employees. It sounds wrong and illegal to me. Workplace injuries happen. Just sayin. :wave:

As I said I started there as a kid working part-time so over the years we've had issues before.
I was working the parts counter and load out about 25 yrs ago and was really was having back trouble and had reported it to my supervisor, but I never went to the Doc or missed work.

Anyway he'd been riding me pretty hard and on my azz everyday,. He'd calll me boy. Hey boy come here boy, so bowed up one day and it got pretty heated.
He said I can fire you right now.
I asked for what ?
He said because I can.
I told him go ahead and I draw unemployment
He said that's fine it only last 6 months.
I told him about my back thought may be I needed to go to the doctor.
He said don't you pull that shyt
I told him to get off my azz then

Farm Fence Solutions":2wkc6jci said:
D2Cat":2wkc6jci said:
Cross-7":2wkc6jci said:

Boss can be a dick or a sweetheart. No laws on that guaranteed. Cross don't like his boss he needs move on. It's not his outfit to make the rules.

To suggest staging a workplace injury is despicable.

callmefence":377o648t said:
Farm Fence Solutions":377o648t said:
D2Cat":377o648t said:

Boss can be a dick or a sweetheart. No laws on that guaranteed. Cross don't like his boss he needs move on. It's not his outfit to make the rules.

Truth is we may be too close.
That many years together you do develop a relationship.
Probably more of the " you can be a boss or friend but not both"
He really is a good guy, just a turd head that likes to throw his weight around.
I'd just to see him eat crow once so he knows how it feels

callmefence":zc0hhoup said:
Farm Fence Solutions":zc0hhoup said:
D2Cat":zc0hhoup said:

I wasn't suggesting staging a workplace injury. I was suggesting whooping his azz.

Farm Fence Solutions":uwd9xrt0 said:
callmefence":uwd9xrt0 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":uwd9xrt0 said:

I wasn't suggesting staging a workplace injury. I was suggesting whooping his azz.

That sounds alot more like farm. Thought you d been hacked.

As someone else said the reduction can t take you below minimum wage for the 40 hour workweek or if you worked overtime can't take you below time and 1\2 on minimum wage.
We had a employee decide to take a 65" tv off the wall display by himself without waiting for help. Dropped and destroyed it 1500.00 tv. Boss wasn't happy, but didn't even consider making him pay.
I've been there thirty years as of March 1st 2018 he has never made anyone pay for accidents, says it's cost of doing business. Doesn't mean he won't harrass you about it...

callmefence":1daiyijn said:
Craig Miller":1daiyijn said:
callmefence":1daiyijn said:
I have to pay for my mistakes.

Would you charge a mistake to one of your employees though?

For the most part no I would not. Believe it or not I'm pretty soft with them..I have had guys come in on the weekend and i worked with them to correct a mistake. " Off the clock" which can be illegal except it was a mutual agreement.
If I did charge them for say a lost tool.
It would be perfectly legal as long as I don't pull one paycheck below minimum wage.

You can't legally do that even if they agree to it. And if it puts them over 40 hours for your designated workweek you owe them overtime. It's all good until someone gets poed and calls wage and hour and you get an audit. They want everything, and they will find something. It is not worth it. I've been through one and hope never again, didn't do what was accused of but they found where a 500.00 bonus was paid to 6 employees and believe it or not that 500.00 was subject to any overtime worked in the pay period the bonus covered...

danl":2c05fne1 said:
callmefence":2c05fne1 said:
Craig Miller":2c05fne1 said:
Would you charge a mistake to one of your employees though?

For the most part no I would not. Believe it or not I'm pretty soft with them..I have had guys come in on the weekend and i worked with them to correct a mistake. " Off the clock" which can be illegal except it was a mutual agreement.
If I did charge them for say a lost tool.
It would be perfectly legal as long as I don't pull one paycheck below minimum wage.

You can't legally do that even if they agree to it. And if it puts them over 40 hours for your designated workweek you owe them overtime. It's all good until someone gets poed and calls wage and hour and you get an audit. They want everything, and they will find something. It is not worth it. I've been through one and hope never again, didn't do what was accused of but they found where a 500.00 bonus was paid to 6 employees and believe it or not that 500.00 was subject to any overtime worked in the pay period the bonus covered...

I've been through a TWC audit. I did fine.

I built this outfit with my sweat and blood and very little capital. With all due respect. I'll run it as I please and when THEY show up. I'll shut this bytch down.

It's a crying shame. Instead of two men working something out and coming to a fair solution to a mistake.
The employers only option is to terminate the employee because he's scared of the government. I refuse to participate

I would lose loyalty to someone who treats me the way this guy does.. I've had bosses that were hard on me, and that's to be expected.. I've had them be pricks, and as long as I'm treated fairly, I can deal with it... I'm there to make money, not friends.. If I'm not making money on top of crap like this, they can shove it.
This guy is a bloody arse, he's just nice enough to people they won't call him on it.. Good guys don't need to throw their weight around, and I've never seen a *good* manager use fear to motivate people.. Just like fear might train a dog, it doesn't make a loyal dog though.

At my last job I had just finished saving the company $250,000 on a machine that no one else could get to work, they were about to scrap the whole thing... I saved their bacon (in fact the customer wanted 5 more of them)... Anyhow, my yearly review was up, I was hoping for a $2 raise, and expecting $1 to bring me in line with the rest of the senior guys who knew their stuff... When they gave me $.50, I was livid, and did have other jobs lined up... I wrote a letter to the owner of the company, and said if a raise wasn't in it long term, a bonus would be acceptable. I got my $2 in the end!
Anyhow, this kerfuffle got a lot of other senior service techs upset, they saw that hard work wasn't getting rewarded. That summer 2 of them quit, each time one quit I got an extra buck for taking over their duties, then in the fall I pretty much spent all my time on the road (which comes with a buck premium).. I was traveling in round robin to 5 fritolay plants (New york, Georgia, Texas, California, and Colorado), and got another buck out of the blue that fall.

With a bit of squeaking early on.. just at the right time, I made it known I wasn't going to be a doormat.. I went from $14/hr to $20/hr in 8 months.. Even the $20 isn't that much for the kind of skill you need to have.. it's stuff that can't be taught, you just have to "get it" and have sense. Those kinds of people are hard to find, and the manager knew it, he figured he'd look good if wages were kept low, but he started looking pretty bad when he had no service techs available to do the work because of his shenanigans.

Nesikep":2adctbok said:
I would lose loyalty to someone who treats me the way this guy does.. I've had bosses that were hard on me, and that's to be expected.. I've had them be pricks, and as long as I'm treated fairly, I can deal with it... I'm there to make money, not friends.. If I'm not making money on top of crap like this, they can shove it.
This guy is a bloody arse, he's just nice enough to people they won't call him on it.. Good guys don't need to throw their weight around, and I've never seen a *good* manager use fear to motivate people.. Just like fear might train a dog, it doesn't make a loyal dog though.

At my last job I had just finished saving the company $250,000 on a machine that no one else could get to work, they were about to scrap the whole thing... I saved their bacon (in fact the customer wanted 5 more of them)... Anyhow, my yearly review was up, I was hoping for a $2 raise, and expecting $1 to bring me in line with the rest of the senior guys who knew their stuff... When they gave me $.50, I was livid, and did have other jobs lined up... I wrote a letter to the owner of the company, and said if a raise wasn't in it long term, a bonus would be acceptable. I got my $2 in the end!
Anyhow, this kerfuffle got a lot of other senior service techs upset, they saw that hard work wasn't getting rewarded. That summer 2 of them quit, each time one quit I got an extra buck for taking over their duties, then in the fall I pretty much spent all my time on the road (which comes with a buck premium).. I was traveling in round robin to 5 fritolay plants (New york, Georgia, Texas, California, and Colorado), and got another buck out of the blue that fall.

With a bit of squeaking early on.. just at the right time, I made it known I wasn't going to be a doormat.. I went from $14/hr to $20/hr in 8 months.. Even the $20 isn't that much for the kind of skill you need to have.. it's stuff that can't be taught, you just have to "get it" and have sense. Those kinds of people are hard to find, and the manager knew it, he figured he'd look good if wages were kept low, but he started looking pretty bad when he had no service techs available to do the work because of his shenanigans.

Interesting story Nesi. You would be classified as a "linchpin" employee if i were your team lead. Major business schools are actually teaching semester long courses on linchpin employees; how to identify them, retain them, their impact on productivity, morale, etc. Why? Because these people, while few and far between, have such a tremendous impact on the overall function of any organization, that they absolutely can not be overlooked and must be valued. The old saying of 'everyone is replaceable', well, businesses are finding that to be an expensive falsehood. It's cheaper to retain a linchpin, then lose him to your competitor, suffer the negative financial implications due to his departure, spend time and money trying to find his replacement, train that replacement( if you find one that's even close to what you just lost) etc...its a fascinating movement in business today..

bball":dm8ed7yw said:
Interesting story Nesi. You would be classified as a "linchpin" employee if i were your team lead. Major business schools are actually teaching semester long courses on linchpin employees; how to identify them, retain them, their impact on productivity, morale, etc. Why? Because these people, while few and far between, have such a tremendous impact on the overall function of any organization, that they absolutely can not be overlooked and must be valued. The old saying of 'everyone is replaceable', well, businesses are finding that to be an expensive falsehood. It's cheaper to retain a linchpin, then lose him to your competitor, suffer the negative financial implications due to his departure, spend time and money trying to find his replacement, train that replacement( if you find one that's even close to what you just lost) etc...its a fascinating movement in business today..

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

And sometimes, unfortunately, a business will learn this the hard way.

Workinonit Farm":naoyoid5 said:
bball":naoyoid5 said:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

And sometimes, unfortunately, a business will learn this the hard way.

And equally unfortunately, for some people the hard way seems to be the only way they can learn.

"I've been through a TWC audit. I did fine.

I built this outfit with my sweat and blood and very little capital. With all due respect. I'll run it as I please and when THEY show up. I'll shut this bytch down.

It's a crying shame. Instead of two men working something out and coming to a fair solution to a mistake.
The employers only option is to terminate the employee because he's scared of the government. I refuse to participate"

Callmefence. I didn't say I disagreed with what you do, just making sure you knew logic and the government are rarely the same.

It just occurred to me, you didn't say they deducted it from your pay. They just billed you for it. I could bill you ten million dollars, doesn't mean I'm going to collect.

If they going to treat you like a customer instead of employee you could always act like a customer that got something they didn't order. Don't know what kind of strain that would put on your relationship with the company though...