Stewing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2zyuycxn said:
So who has possession of the bearings?

Also, why if your co-workers all say you were doing it wrong why didn't you know how things were supposed to be done? (not poking at you but I think this is a legitimate question I think any attorney would want to know)

If you are getting sales hits for that item why can't you just sell them to someone else?

The product is boxed and tagged for me in the customer pickup area at the warehouse.
I asked a couple of the local guys about the way I entered a non-stock item and they both said that the purchasing agent would ask them if they should special order the product.
By that they quit entering the non stocking items that way.
A couple of the other guys that I asked haven't been entering the non-stock product as instructed, like I have been, so best I can tell I was the one entering the non-stock items as instructed 4-5 years ago.
I've done it that way for years and no one has ever mentioned that I do it any differently or never had anything special ordered from it until now.

The purpose in the way we used to enter the non stock item was so it would show up on a report for the purchasing agent that bought that product line.
He would track it and if it showed enough hits he'd add the product.

I've told them to put the product in stock and add it in the system.
I feel like we will sell them at some point.
Whether that gets done it another story.

Edit
To answer a later question.
The customer gave me a list of bearings.
We didn't stock the 16290, so he has since ordered from another vender.
At some point he will probably need the bearings, but he or I neither requested a special order.

As an employer, I have never asked an employee to pay for a mistake out of their pocket. If it's a costly enough mistake, I want payment in sweat and blood. lol (had one guy that would run about half of his brace wires backward......until I kept track of the wasted time and deducted it from his pay) Seriously, it sounds like the "twat" wants you to quit. I don't know the legality of it, but I wouldn't think you'd be responsible for the $ unless your outfit has a policy regarding up front payment for special orders, which still wouldn't jive if you weren't the guy who ordered them. If all you really want is to see him humbled, just stand next to him at the urinal. That's usually where it starts with power hungry azz holes.

ALACOWMAN":3cglc1jv said:
Sounds like you need to take it on the chin...and watch yourself in the future...

Agreed, but honesty I was only doing as instructed.
I feel we could have put them im stock and sold them.
At the very least I feel like if I was going to have to pay for the mistake I should have been billed at cost or maybe 5% over to cover operating cost

Farm Fence Solutions":1m7ipsgn said:
As an employer, I have never asked an employee to pay for a mistake out of their pocket. If it's a costly enough mistake, I want payment in sweat and blood. lol (had one guy that would run about half of his brace wires backward......until I kept track of the wasted time and deducted it from his pay) Seriously, it sounds like the "twat" wants you to quit. I don't know the legality of it, but I wouldn't think you'd be responsible for the $ unless your outfit has a policy regarding up front payment for special orders, which still wouldn't jive if you weren't the guy who ordered them. If all you really want is to see him humbled, just stand next to him at the urinal. That's usually where it starts with power hungry azz holes.

Th boss can be a real ass and I'm not the only one that has had issues with him.
I know of 2 that have quit because of him and 2 more that have sat down with him askk if his intent was to run them off.
As a matter fact several years ago he and I had a similar discussion.

He answers to no one and is an in your face bow down to me if you want to keep your job type guy.
He married the owners daughter and was immediately the boss. He's never struggled and climbed the ladder.
I think that is part of his problem and why he behaves as he does.

I've been there since 1987 and never done anything else and don't want to.

I would like to see him backed down and get a taste of his own medicine.

Craig Miller":8iusy9yr said:
callmefence":8iusy9yr said:
I have to pay for my mistakes.

Would you charge a mistake to one of your employees though?

For the most part no I would not. Believe it or not I'm pretty soft with them..I have had guys come in on the weekend and i worked with them to correct a mistake. " Off the clock" which can be illegal except it was a mutual agreement.
If I did charge them for say a lost tool.
It would be perfectly legal as long as I don't pull one paycheck below minimum wage.

I've tried to fully clarify the situation.
So back to the original question.
Is it legal and is there anyone I can report it to ?

Cross-7":cv30yzak said:

You also said, "I would like to see him backed down and get a taste of his own medicine."

and "I've been there since 1987 and never done anything else and don't want to."

So your question of it's legality and who to report it to give him a taste of his own medicine will surely end up with you finding other employment.

Contact the potential customer who purchased the item else ware and offer a discount to clear it out, or list it on Ebay. But you have to get beyond this particular incident if you want to continue employment there.

It's not so much about the money but the abuse of power.
As I stated it could have been handled differently.
At the very least I could have been billed at 5% over cost.
Although I maintain I was doing as instructed.

In the past we have had employees anonymously report safety violations and etc
That's more along the lines I was thinking.
Everyone has someone to answer to and rules to follow.
I would like him to be held to the same standards as everyone else.

I doubt if it is illegal. Agencies will steer clear of getting into company policies and politics. At the least he should have only charged you company cost. That is all he is out. He should not be making profit off you. Sounds like he is a worse boss then I originally envisioned.
Have you spoken with the Purchasing Agent to see where this broke down. Having been in Industrial Sales for twenty years, I know many things can be done to get around a problem like that without the Boss ever knowing. At the least he should
help you by contacting the vendor to see if they will accept the parts back with a
restocking fee.
What is company policy on employees ordering non stock items? What would they charge you? Do you get an employee discount?
Also, what is your companies policy on returning non stocking items? Will they take them back for a 20% restocking fee? What if that customer had took the item and decided he didn't need it. Say he was one of the companies best customers. Would they have tried to take care of him?
Sounds like everyone is walking on eggshells with this character. Does not promote a happy and productive work space. In the end this will cost him more than the $1000 dollars because others see what is happening, and will not produce for someone who does this to employees.
Good Luck Cross! 30 yrs is a long time.

Cross-7":25qh0qvs said:

Contact your state Labor Board, and ask them about the legality of it. That would be the first place I would go. see what they say and take it from there.

You said this guy was only a part owner so is there another owner that you can talk to and discuss how you think this is unfair? I can't see how you can accomplish anything by turning him in because its you that didn't follow policy so he has a defense and if he found out you did this you'd surely be fired because this would sound like a case of sour grapes.

I once did something against policy that had the best interest of my company at heart. I got a royal azz chewing by the pencil pushers who didn't understand how things worked in the field. The CEO caught wind of the fray and he asked me about it and I told him how my spending $300 without approval had netted the company an additional $6000 in profit. After he looked at the figures he patted me on the back and told me to keep up the good work and not to worry about the person giving me the grief and he would take care of him. This sounds like what you were doing. Looking after the best interest of the company. Your intent was to make the sale but things went south on you. Any good manager knows this kind of stuff happens and they also know the worst thing they can do to their employees is to make them afraid to make deals because this will kill incentive.

I'd definitely try and find another owner to talk to and if I couldn't I think I'd just take it on the chin and move on and I'm sure there are a lot of ways you could get your money back if you had a mind to.

The analogy used here about comparing this to a "mistake" is irrelevant, this wasn't a mistake, this was the employee doing as he had been instructed to do, and the problem came from the customer backing out of the deal.

Since he married into the job... perhaps get sweet with his old lady for retribution.. OK, bad idea :lol:

Better watch bucking --THEIR- system...they will start looking for any reason to turn you loose...good paying jobs ain't growing on trees , and it's sounds like you've benefited well from them in the past...

I would also make it a point to go to the main office once a quarter to be sure I was in the loop. I would break my back learning everything I could about how the operation works and upon learning all I needed if this jerk messed with me again they might just find they had a new competitor and one who walked off with a bunch of their customers.

ALACOWMAN":3c4iiqgc said:
Sounds like you need to take it on the chin...and watch yourself in the future...

No offense, but I think this is horrible advice. $1,050 is nothing to laugh about. That's a decent chunk of change. Also, there's a respect issue here. If you like the job, take them with you. I was once "forced" to buy a hose I had incorrectly made while working at a Napa. I was young, meek and didn't know the laws. I should have told them to shove it. Instead, I took the hose home. Since you don't work in the office, you could always see a lawyer and find out what your legal rights are. Or if you're really vindictive hire a private detective to follow him around, dig up some dirt, hope for an affair and send a nastygram to his wife.

What you really need to do is watch this movie and take notes.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/bU0STezaOyk[/youtube]

Bestoutwest":3jp3zl60 said:
ALACOWMAN":3jp3zl60 said:

No offense, but I think this is horrible advice. $1,050 is nothing to laugh about. That's a decent chunk of change. Also, there's a respect issue here. If you like the job, take them with you. I was once "forced" to buy a hose I had incorrectly made while working at a Napa. I was young, meek and didn't know the laws. I should have told them to shove it. Instead, I took the hose home. Since you don't work in the office, you could always see a lawyer and find out what your legal rights are. Or if you're really vindictive hire a private detective to follow him around, dig up some dirt, hope for an affair and send a nastygram to his wife. ...... bad advice maybe,, horrible is a little strong... But then I just like to deal in reality.

I'll try to answer as many questions as o can remember.

No chance on that.
He may be an a-hole but he is a really good guy, does a good job, intelligent business savvy.
He's just a turd head.

The other owner, his BIL never try to over rule each other.
If one makes a decision the other never challenges it.
The both are both equal in percentage of ownership.

The system that was in place was to track sales hits on items we aren't currently stocking.
4-5 years ago during our annual meeting we had a discussion/training on how to use the system.
That system isn't being utilized any longer.
My understanding the guys in purchasing are now see it as a special order request.
I guess it's been word of mouth and no memo, email nothing.
I think it faded away because most weren't using it as instructed.
With multiple purchasing agents and in different locations some operate differently than other.
Some will only accept special orders via written request and won't accept a verbal request. They want to protect themselves in a case like this
So again I don't think I was at fault.

Non-stock items are not returnable.
The Mfg doesn't accept returns.

As I stated I think they could be stocked and sold or the other options I've already mentioned.

It's not so much about being billed but more so I feel lije it's more of an abuse of power.
My house my rules and I can change the rules to suit me and cast the blame elsewhere.
Never admitting fault and everyone else is a dumbass type deal.

I just would like to be able so him he has rules to follow just like everyone else

Latest posts