Stewing

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I've been stewing on this for a week and reluctant to post on here, but here it goes.
To not get too complicated several years ago I was instructed on how to enter non stock items on the computer (bearings in this case) .
I've done it as instructed for years without issue.
Recently there was a bearing I entered and the purchasing agent and part owner ordered for a customer. I nor the customer requested it be special ordered.
I just wanted it to be known we were getting sales hits on this item.
The customer ordered elsewhere and no longer needs the bearings.

Apparently from talking with my coworkers the way I've been doing it is incorrect.
I go to the office once a year and I'm out of the loop.
Apparently there has been a change that I wasn't informed of.

Long story short the afore mentioned bearings were billed to my account.
I'm on the hook for a 1050.00 worth of bearings.

Can my employer legally do that ?
I have tried to explain that I was unaware of the change, but it fell on deaf ears.

Am I in the wrong ?

No, you are not in the wrong and your employer should be ashamed of themselves. Might be time to find a new employer because this is just wrong. By the way, before I left, i would load up 1050 worth of stuff you can use.

Cross,

They do not have a legal basis for their assertion that you owe them money. However, as your employer, they could pressure you. How bad do you want to stay employed by them? What are your other options? Sounds like a two bit company!

I don't see this being your responsibility to pay for. I would think that sort of thing happens frequently, and companies just absorb the cost and take a loss on the parts.

Holy cow!! I have to agree, your employer should not have billed you for the bearings. You should have been notified of the change. Somewhere along the chain, the ball was dropped.

I would think, if your employer were to look at your work history, they would most likely see that you do not have a history of such costly mistakes.

I do not believe that they can charge you for the bearings. I would make another attempt to discuss this with them.

Ky hills":2zfoio0a said:
I don't see this being your responsibility to pay for. I would think that sort of thing happens frequently, and companies just absorb the cost and take a loss on the parts.

Or find a way to add them to the inventory, and offer them as an item for sale.

Why don't you post part #'s , description, application on here. Perhaps someone can help you move them. I couldn't work for someone who treated me like that. Sales positions, both inside and outside, get caught between the company and the customer all the time. Your employer wanted you keep the client happy and get sales. He can't have it all!

Total horse shyt, and I would really doubt it's legal.

Usually if a retailer gets a rare part from another retailer, they can return it if the customer changes their mind.. isn't that an option in this case? If you can get the sales receipt from where they got them, I'd print out a copy for myself and go back to them personally if your employer doesn't.

The bearings in question are a NTN 16290.
The big Boss passed a few years back and the two SIL now own the company.
They are both really good guys, very business savv and I have a lot of respect for them and they have treated me very well.

The one that billed the product out to me can be a twat.
Good guy but a immature, cry baby, twat.

He is the power and answers to no one.
He is the boss and no one holds authority over him.

I would really like to back him down and show him that he does have someone to answer to, if what he has done is not legal.

I've weighed my job vs 1000.00 and it's a no brainer but as a grown man I want bow up, get in his face and show him I ain't his bytch.
Truth is I need my job but I want to show him that he doesn't have unlimited power and he has bonderies just like everyone else in the world.

If what he's done isn't legal I'd like to see him called on the carpet

I found out the other day that when the waitress at my favorite restaurant gets my order wrong and has to resubmit - she has to pay for the new order. Not saying it's right - but wondering if it is legal.... A lot of cowboys on this website can tell you whether they think something is legal or not but really only a lawyer can tell you that.

I can't answer because I don't follow exactly how you are set up. You say they were billed to you. Is that YOU personally and YOU personally have to write a check to pay for them? In that case it is wrong and I would think illegal.

On the other hand I worked for a company and they did this type stuff all the time. I was given an area and had this been me then the bearings would have been billed to my area. This would work itself out once I moved them. If I needed a new truck then I bought it and it was charged to my area. My pay was based on a salary plus bonuses based on how profitable my area was. Billing me for the bearings wouldn't have been a big deal but it could have hurt my bonus.

If its the first way and he wants to charge you personally then you best have a big box of bearings in your garage when you write the check.

The product was billed to my personal account. I buy product each month for personal use.
It's due on the 1st of the month and I paid the bill.

It's a no win situation with me vs the boss.
I'd just like to see him backed down and realize that he isn't the ultimate authority.

I'd like to see him humbled some.

I swear an oath had I been at fault I'd own up to it, but I don't feel I was at fault.

I would like to see him live up to the same standards

That's the only reason I brought up legalities.
I feel like that's my only option
If it's an option

So who has possession of the bearings?

Also, why if your co-workers all say you were doing it wrong why didn't you know how things were supposed to be done? (not poking at you but I think this is a legitimate question I think any attorney would want to know)

If you are getting sales hits for that item why can't you just sell them to someone else?

As jo said, they better hand you that box of bearings when you write the check, and they better sell them to you at cost.

I would definitely look into the return policy of the supplier

if all else fails, sell them on Ebay.

It sounds to me like there was a change in procedure, and you weren't informed about it, or trained in the new procedure. If that's the case then by no stretch of the imagination should you be held accountable.

Nesikep":15dfpqat said:
As jo said, they better hand you that box of bearings when you write the check, and they better sell them to you at cost.

I would definitely look into the return policy of the supplier

if all else fails, sell them on Ebay.

And if he kept the bearings and billed you I believe everyone would agree this is theft.

There is still a lot I don't understand about this. Seems like an odd way of doing business to me. Like why do you have an account with the company? And why isn't the guy who ordered the bearings getting billed? Seems he's the one who should be to blame and surely he isn't the only customer whose ever cancelled an order. This doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't know the legalities but if I had to pay for them then I'd take them home with me. Then contact the manufacturer and see if you can return to them for your money back. Or sell as Nes suggested.

Latest posts