Stevenson Basin Female Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

sedrick_hall

Reaction score
I watched the Stevenson Basin Female Sale on RFD-TV on Monday. I saw a pen of purebred (non registered) Angus bred heifers sale for $1700. It seems kinda high to me. Any thoughts?

sedrick_hall":2ye7nxvz said:
I watched the Stevenson Basin Female Sale on RFD-TV on Monday. I saw a pen of purebred (non registered) Angus bred heifers sale for $1700. It seems kinda high to me. Any thoughts?

Sedrick, I think alot of that is in the name. If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw a registered cow in that same sale go for 24,000$$$.

george

Yestrday was the Sits Angus sale. They sold 300 unreg. heifers for an average of 1500. One load of 20 or so went for 1900. This to me seems like a tax write off. I too buy some at the end of the year t write off but never any over 1000 and those will be cows a would like to keep and expect to make a living off of.

Scotty

Yeah, my folks went over to the Sitz sale. They said the animals looked good and prices were pretty good, it depends on the bloodlines of course. As with Stevenson-Basin, the name makes a huge difference. I know when we went to the Paws-Up dispersion sale there weren't the people there that I expected and some of the cows prices were commercial level but for others they went through the roof!! I can't imagine paying mega mega bucks for a cow - and then not keeping her in a padded stall!!! Especially as heavy (well fed) as some were they'd have to be in my best river bottom pasture so they didn't look like I had starved them!

My first registered Angus came from the Bear Creek Angus Ranch which dispersed a number of years ago, I think. We bought her as a weanling and she grew up to be a HUGE cow (2000+lbs in her prime), she was born in Feb of one of the coldest years on record and her ears and tail both were frozen short and she was really sick as a baby. I showed her in 4-H for years and even won the cow/calf production award my last year. I know she wouldn't have done well in arid country but she didn't get thin when she was on any of our mountain pasture and had to "work" for food. Our herd now averages 1000-1200lbs, with a few larger old girls, I sure do miss seeing my big old Ruby out in the pasture...though this herd makes us a little more money since they don't eat quite as much!

Any good bred [springin] heifer is worth 2 1/2 times what her calves will bring at weaning time.
$1500 sounds about right to me in these market conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":pshjo00a said:
Any good bred [springin] heifer is worth 2 1/2 times what her calves will bring at weaning time.
$1500 sounds about right to me in these market conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying.

Hillbilly

I just bought 19 head of UBB Brafords from Adam's Ranch. We averaged $1375 head. They were not a tax write off.

I was working during the time the sale came on, so I recorded it. I looked back over the tape last night. I saw a number of bred, registered cows 3-5 years old that sold between $1500 and $2000.

I also saw a reg. bred heifer sell for $26,000. Is is genetics or ranch name that sets the price at that level?

sedrick_hall":8i4svsto said:
I also saw a reg. bred heifer sell for $26,000. Is is genetics or ranch name that sets the price at that level?

I have noticed the auctioneer on some of those sales tries to start a few head at 20,000. Most times the buyers don't go for it, sometimes they do. I suppose they see something I don't see, or it is a status thing of some kind. Either way, that price is WAY beyond my ability to pay

george

I think it is a combination of the 3 B's
  • butt
  • --structure and muscling of animal
    breeding--pedigree &
    brand--breeder reputation

Some families or lines in a registered breed have a performance history that speaks for itself (i.e. Cadillac=luxury Jeep=off-road fun, know what I mean?)

sedrick_hall":3ef7xksb said:

The lot 11 (the one I presume you are talking about) Had what people like to see. High Milk Epd, higher yearling EPD, lower birth EPD, who her sire was, and probably the biggest eye catcher the really high IMF EPD. For what it all says if it's reality or not. Ultrasound would prove to me more than any ol EPD. But they did ultrasound her so there's proof in the pudding.

Some of those young cows(3 year olds) the ones I noticed were not good keepers or had a attitude problem or a few that were later calvers.

There's a few heifers I had my eye on and wanted to see what they brought. They went between $3,000 and $3,750. And a couple that I expected to go higher but only brought $1500.

Rookie":3ef7xksb said:
I have noticed the auctioneer on some of those sales tries to start a few head at 20,000. Most times the buyers don't go for it, sometimes they do. I suppose they see something I don't see, or it is a status thing of some kind.

You have to watch out for that auctioner he's a tricky guy. He'll start out say at $1,500 then go down to $1,400 then next thing you know he acts like he got a bid and say's $1,500 just to see if he can get someone to jump. He about get me one time that way.

I went to the Sydenstricker sale last month. I did not see any of the cows before I went, except a few they had pictures of. I marked each cow for their EPD's. I gave each a star if the BW was low, the milk was high and the yearling weight was high. So I wanted to buy a three star heifer. When I got there, I couldn't find one animal that I would refuse to take home. They were really nice. The first heifer I marked brought $8,000. Needless to say I wasn't the one that paid it. But I would have loved to have her to start bringing up the genetics of my herd. I did like what I brought home. I will save the heifers from the cows, and sell or keep a bull or two. Grade heifers and steers that have been watered down through the years in this area, and weigh 650-750 in the fall as they come through the sale barn. Sometimes you see one that weighs more. They appear to be in good shape, but they don't have the body mass of the cattle at the registered sales. It sure makes a difference when you have yearlings that weigh 1200 lbs. I am willing to pay more now to get new blood to bring the 750 up to 1200. It will pay off in the long run.

That's a good tactic to use when you want to add new bloodlines or genetics to you herd. The registered sales are a great place to go to not only buy, but to look at specific bloodlines to see if they are all they are cracked up to be. A lot of times I'll go expecting to get a certain female, and end up being impressed by something totally different.

A few good ones are worth more than a dozen mediocre ones.

TheBullLady, Going to a sale where the cattle are so nice, is like turning a child loose in a Sears catalog at Christmas. You circle a lot that you want, but wind up coming home with just a couple. The only difference is that you know how the cattle get to your house; not in a sleigh, but by your pocketbook. I agree with you on seeing how the bloodlines are doing, and checking out the EPD's for future homework. It was easier to watch the sale if I sat on my hands. :lol:

1200 or more is great 365 day weight for a bull. I don't want a heifer that heavy at a year because that is what I want my mature cows to weigh. Our heifers are averaging in the mid-800's at 365 days, and that is fine with me.

Latest posts