Private sale pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
The common place to sell is the sale barn, but for those of us with only a couple, who would probably take it in the shorts at the barn, how do you set private sale prices? Buyers are told to pay "a little above kill" for cows, especially bred. I know what calf prices are. Seems that folks want to pay less than sale barn- I'm sure so they can profit on a flip. For a young cow calf pair, good condition, what determines "fair price"?

Attachments

• 7CD0AE8E-B872-4D80-80FB-77EAF6732A64.jpeg
    7CD0AE8E-B872-4D80-80FB-77EAF6732A64.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 3DB576D8-1B62-42E3-B427-C5C274D9B15E.jpeg
    3DB576D8-1B62-42E3-B427-C5C274D9B15E.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 15
They should sell above sale barn prices. There are a lot of people that are intimidated by the sale barn process. It just goes to quick and is hard to understand the auctioneer if you are not used to it. They are also afraid of buying a wild cow that was someone else's problem.

I would set a price for a good pair $200 above what I think they would bring at the barn. You can always come down in price if you don't get any calls. Folks buying private treaty want good cows that are well taken care of and gentle.

I have been going to sale barns so long and so often it is hard for me to remember being nervous about an auction.
My thought is at the sale barn you have multiple people bidding on your cow and they might even give more than you want. But by pricing privately you only have one opinion, yours.

We just bought 12 1st calf heifers, 27-29 months old as the seller did not want them calving in Nov-Dec.... asking price 1500. 6 had calves on the ground and 3 more have calved....lost one to a prolapse that was bad and vet put it back but she probably bled internally...
Have seen them going through the sale bar at a couple bred cow sales here recently for anywhere from 1,000 to 2,000... most in the 14-1600 range.

It always amazes me about the vast variation that there can be in pricing between private treaty and sale barn pricing. Yesterday, when I came in, I was checking a local equipment auction where I had placed some bids. I happened upon a youtube video of a Registered Charolais sale that was happening live (DeBrruycker Charolais in Great Falls Montana). I decided to watch a while and see what the prices were. Every single yearling heifer and bull sold was bringing between $4500 and $6000 (some more). I realize these were registered cattle, but that seems pretty high to me. I also have a friend in GA, that recently sold a 1/2 interest in one of his registered bulls for $25k.

I know that if you have the next great hot bull for semen production that would be cheap, but how often does that happen?

I have been going to sale barns so long and so often it is hard for me to remember being nervous about an auction.
My thought is at the sale barn you have multiple people bidding on your cow and they might even give more than you want. But by pricing privately you only have one opinion, yours.
But as a seller at the sale barn, you also have little chance to turn down a sale,right? Or does anyone set a reserve price ever?

Yes, they get paid to sell no matter.
You should not have to pay full sales fees and commission on a pre arranged pass over. Usually a 10 to 20 dollar fee should be it.
Good auctions don't require a buyer's premium either. I do frequently buy at auctions that do. But never sell at those that do. Maybe different here.
Surely the cattle sales don't charge y'all to buy??

You should not have to pay full sales fees and commission on a pre arranged pass over. Usually a 10 to 20 dollar fee should be it.
Good auctions don't require a buyer's premium either. I do frequently buy at auctions that do. But never sell at those that do. Maybe different here.
Surely the cattle sales don't charge y'all to buy??
No charge to buy at any cattle sales that I'm aware of. But all of the ones I go to charge to sell even if you no sale unless a previous agreement is reached.

Yes, you pay even if you no sale. The auctioneer has gone through the trouble to call the sale, the stockyard has gone through the trouble to pen her, weigh her and then pen her again after she goes through the ring. Most of our sales here average $20-30 a head, commission, yardage, etc fees.... If we sell more than 50 at a time.... take in 50 , not all in the same pen, the one yard gives a discount. But if you are not happy with the price you just bid her back yourself. We have done it over the years. Sometimes it pays you to buy one back and keep it, sometimes we can get together a group and then sell for a better price. The seller pays the commission, not the buyer.
The best thing about the stockyards/sales barn.... you walk out of there with a check....end of discussion. And unless there is some sort of world wide disaster, the check will clear due to them having to be bonded and all that. No further responsibility, no buyer calling with complaints or this or that......If you sell reasonably healthy cattle you will never hear another word. If you sell cattle that do good, people will ask for your cattle down the road. We have a couple of buyers now that will ask if we have brought in any cattle, if they see us at the sale, because they have bought some in the past and they have been EXACTLY what we said.... weaned, bunk broke, blackleg..... whatever. It makes a difference.