Sale barn or ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ga_Hillbilly

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm new to the board.. Tried using search as much as I could and coulsnt find the answer...

I've been around cows my whole life.. But my family always sold and bought at the sale barn... That being said I don't want that.. I'd like to hit a better market than the sale barn... But. I have no idea where to start

Some people tell me farm bred cows are overated that I can get just as good cows at sale barns... Is this true??

Whether that statement is true is subjective and depends entirely on your operation and expectations.

For many operations that works but you have to be a savvy buyer with a well trained eye. Buy an older bred cow, calve her out, sell the cow, keep the calf or maybe even hang on to her another year.

We bought our first bred coming 3 year old cattle private treaty (still have one, bless her ancient heart) and every other cow has been born/raised here. Only purchase has been registered bulls and most have also been private treaty. The cows I send to the sale barn usually have a health issue and I specify cull/slaughter but I have sold some very nice bred cows because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. But go back to my last statement: there's a reason cows end up at the sale barn and not everyone provides a history so quite often you're buying someone else's problem or sick cow. Biosecurity!

Okay, that's my :2cents: Someone that regularly buys from a sale barn will surely chime in.

I am not in your country, but at sales here, there is very good animals to choose from, what I do not like is....

totally unknown history usually...
been in a place with god knows what bugs etc
they are usually in 10s, 20s, 30s....plus I like to pick and choose and get 1s, 2s, or 5

Others like the last part, as they are commercial or have a lot of land, so they want to stock up quickly.

Money wise, you can prob get similar or maybe better money here, but it is a lot of mucking around, and same, sales are usually 1s, 2s etc, but some advertise mobs.

I am not a sale barn cow fan. To many dishonest people. I'm sure you can pick up some good cows here and there, but you really have to know what your doing. I recently picked up another large pasture, so I've been buying some cows as I find them. Last week my local barn had 2 "complete herd sell outs" I ended up getting 2 lots bought for a pretty decent price I thought. Got home and started looking them over, one group had 3 different freeze brands on them. Kind of makes you mad. I've had the opportunity to lie about some cattle and it would have made me quite a bit more money, I just can't do it.
My hope is these cows will be good enough to get my by for a couple years until I have something of my own to replace them. My genetics sure aren't perfect, but I have a hard time finding something that preform like they do under my management.

Just an option to look into, our local sale barn holds "back to farm" and "replacement female" consignment sales several times each year. Cows are vet checked, etc... I've bought a lot of cows through those sales and all have worked out so far.

When I switched from dairy to beef, I bought most of my first cows from the sale barn. Some were from private treaty sales. Sale barn cows were from bred cow/heifer sales and not a regular weekly sale. Cows from weekly sale around here are generally cull cows only. I had some sale barn cows do really good for me , but some not so good. Same could be said for private treaty cows and heifers; although private treaty cows had a better success rate. my advise would be to plan ahead to where you want to be in 5 - 10 years and plan accordingly. My plan was just to have enough cows to keep my pastures grazed down and looked forward to making my own improvements through AI. Herd is where I want to be right now.

Ga_Hillbilly said:
Hey y'all. I'm new to the board.. Tried using search as much as I could and coulsnt find the answer...

I've been around cows my whole life.. But my family always sold and bought at the sale barn... That being said I don't want that.. I'd like to hit a better market than the sale barn... But. I have no idea where to start

Some people tell me farm bred cows are overated that I can get just as good cows at sale barns... Is this true??
I believe all Barn sold calves are Farm born.

bird dog said:
Look for herd sell outs at the larger barns. The cows there are usually being sold for reasons where the cow is not the problem.
Good answer! And we've had a number of dispersal sales around here recently.

To the OP: You might contact your local sale barn or check to see if they have consignment/dispersal sales listed on their website. Or word of mouth.

All good advice up there....

U may pay a premium buying off the farm, but usually they turn out better in the long run I think. And theres not the big rush of a sale barn. Gives ya time to scrutinize the situation b4 u buy!!

Barns are ok. But ya gotta know what to look for. And even then, meh...

I thank each and everyone of you for replying and your time

Heres my big delima on my head... Lets say I start with real good private party cows... Breed to a real good bull... Where would I then sale those calfs and yearlings other than the sale barn? Would it be a private treaty or can I sale direct to a feed lot

If buying cattle at the salebarn try to find a herd sell out. When buying a group of cows private treaty ask the seller how long they've been together, good chance they're put together through the salebarn. Try to avoid cows with several brands.

When selling calves you are limited to markets by the number you have. Most pasture buyers want a truck load. I know a few people that peddle them one at a time and make more money but it seems like a real pain to me.

Good luck and remember good cows produce good calves and good calves bring good money. Breed the kind of calves that bring the most money in your area.

Ga_Hillbilly said:
I thank each and everyone of you for replying and your time

Heres my big delima on my head... Lets say I start with real good private party cows... Breed to a real good bull... Where would I then sale those calfs and yearlings other than the sale barn? Would it be a private treaty or can I sale direct to a feed lot

I've sold private treaty but it's harder now that the PC Police monitor everything online - and generally ban/delete it. Plus you have to deal with tire kickers and maybe/maybe not payment or no-show, change of mind, etc. Word of mouth is good. Talk to your local sale barn. Ours will advertise early consignments, especially when they're fully vaccinated & weaned, heifers guaranteed open.

Awesome y'all.. I owe y'all more than I can give.. Knowledge is more valuable than gold.. I hope y'all have a great year and god bless

Thanks again

See if your local sales barn has a bulletin board that you can post advertisements on. Buying or selling, it makes for a targeted audience.

M.Magis said:
Just an option to look into, our local sale barn holds "back to farm" and "replacement female" consignment sales several times each year. Cows are vet checked, etc... I've bought a lot of cows through those sales and all have worked out so far.

Like everything, the key to buying sale barn cows is going to sales and just studying what is going on. If you only go to a cow sale once a year to replace two cull cows, your in over your head. It like playing middle school basketball and thinking your ready for the NBA.

I worked for a sale barn and the sale barn vet for about ten years. I could write books on cattle trader tricks.
The barn I worked at closed ten years ago. So I had to find a new local barn to do business with. There I was just another buyer to them and I spent about a year just going to sales once a month and studying the buyers, sale barn manager, and auctioneer before I felt comfortable being able to pick out the trader cows.
If you see a group of what appears to be nice breds that are advertised as farm fresh, then start noticing that they have ears full of holes from old tags, and they all have brand new consecutive numbered ear tags. RUN! The more you study the more you'll notice that the group doesn't really match for size,frame, or condition. Ask the barn for the owners phone number. Talk to them. Honest sellers are happy to tell you any thing they can about their cows.
The same is true for private treaty & Craigslist cattle.

I have a pasture full of sale barn girls.
The barn is not an evil place but our life blood. The trick is getting to know your neighbors and what they are selling. For years I hauled for my neighbors bought a many a fine cow that rode to and from the barn in my trailer. The barn is not for the rookie get a mentor in your area.

So, you mean you took them there, then bid on and bought the ones you wanted ? Why not just buy from them before travel ?

greggy said:
So, you mean you took them there, then bid on and bought the ones you wanted ? Why not just buy from them before travel ?

I did on some while loading on the trailer. Others if we couldn't come to agreement I bought when they went through the ring if the price was right. All of the ones in the picture came from the barn.