Steers or Bred cows.

Help Support CattleToday:

matkinfarms

Reaction score
Hello. I'm just starting out and have a 50 acre lease for 2 years. It is cross fenced so will graze half then rotate the other half. Should I get some steers to put on it or Bred cows and go that route? Alot of 400-500 wt steers are going for 2.75-3.50 a pound here in North Texas. Where you could get some older bred cows for 1300-1800 ahead. Which would ya'll reccomend?

That math steers me towards bred cows, even if you kill her when your done. Seems like if you can feed her cheap enough you can take the calf off and feed it and ship her if she's too old to keep around

That's what I was thinking also. I'm hoping to make as much as I can in the 2 years to eventually get me a place of my own.

Depends on if you have the facilitys for either. Also the time to spend if you have any calving issues. I would go with steers as long as the grass is of high quilaity. It takes good grass or else feed to get steers to devlop properly to make money on them

2 questions make all the difference. How much can you invest in cattle right now? and how much time do you have to spend with the operation?. I'm guessing bred cows will be the thing for you, but with some more time invested there are some things you can do with calves that will make more money.

I went to another auction today 45 miles away and got some really cheap calves in the 250 to 350 pound range. Some had a slight limp but looked to be walking alright. Got them for .90 cents a pound. Hope to fatten them up and sell them in be spring. 2 were steers and 2 were heifers. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. 1 steer was a Holstein weighed 350 at .95 cents a pound. The other steer looked like a Hereford cross. Weighed 495 at 1.00 a pound. 1 heifer was a baldie weighed 205 and sold for 220 a head. Had a slight wobble to her.2 others were black heifers one at 385 pounds at .70 cents a pound. Another black heifer weighed 525 pounds went for .90 cents a pound. Had a slight limp.

matkinfarms":27ap0c5k said:
I went to another auction today 45 miles away and got some really cheap calves in the 250 to 350 pound range. Some had a slight limp but looked to be walking alright. Got them for .90 cents a pound. Hope to fatten them up and sell them in be spring. 2 were steers and 2 were heifers. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. 1 steer was a Holstein weighed 350 at .95 cents a pound. The other steer looked like a Hereford cross. Weighed 495 at 1.00 a pound. 1 heifer was a baldie weighed 205 and sold for 220 a head. Had a slight wobble to her.2 others were black heifers one at 385 pounds at .70 cents a pound. Another black heifer weighed 525 pounds went for .90 cents a pound. Had a slight limp.
Has the market gone down the toilet? If they're breathing they'll bring 2 bucks a pound around here. Maybe the holstein wouldn;t ut anything that looks beef is higher then a cats back

Wasn't many buyers at this sale at the beginning. They were having a big yearling sale this afternoon that was advertised so most of the buyers showed up then. I think I just got lucky at the right auction at the right time. I saw some of these exact type of cows at 2 other different auctions bringing atleast 2.00 a pound besides the holstein but still was bringing 1.25 a pound at the 500 pound mark. So If i can atleast put weight on them I should be able to make a nice profit if their limps don't get any worse or anything. Also the sale barn gives shots to the cattle for 9.00 a head if you buy from them. Labor is free and will even castrate the bulls calves for no extra charge.

Seems that the only times prices are low like that for me is when I'm selling

I couldn't believe that they sold that low. Last week there was a bunch of people here. Almost every seat was filled. This morning there was hardly anybody until after lunch.

Bred cows. But if you stumble across a thin steer that doesn't have a snotty nose pick him up too, he'll make you some money if you can get him fat without spending a lot. Even poor cows that are not bred. That good grass you have will make you some money on hungry stock. Good luck!

Latest posts