Steers Grazing Corn & Cows/Heifers (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I opened up some fresh corn to my March 2010 freezer beef steers that are being finished by grazing standing corn ahead of late April 2011 processing.

They finished their previous paddock to about the level I want: all corn consumed but not forced to eat much of the stalks. I will be letting cows graze this (in addition to their regular hay) and clean it up some time in February. May cut cow hay consumption and consume more residue ahead of spring strip till for more (corn on corn) in late April. Here is an "AFTER" picture of the area they have just left:
IMG_2950_cornaftergrazingbysteers_012311.jpg

I was surprised to see all of the shelled cobs on the ground in the area they just left. About like what you would see behind a conventional combine! In past years when I had put cows on grazing corn the cows consumed the entire ear, cob and all:
IMG_2949_cornaftergrazingbysteers_note_wholeshelledcobs_012311.jpg

Here is a "BEFORE" picture of the fresh corn that I just opened today:
IMG_2940_freshcornBEFOREgrazingbysteers_012311.jpg

Here is a picture of some steers heading into the fresh corn.
IMG_2958_steergrazingearsinfreshopenedcorn_012311.jpg

These steers in their first corn seemed to have perfected a method of getting a whole ear in their mouth, shelling the corn with their teeth then spitting out the cob, eating all of the grain. They also have been grazing husks and upper leaves.

Watching them this morning however they seemed to be eating the entire ear. Maybe as they grow they will eat more cobs.

The steers do not seem to be very interested in the hay bale in the feeder which is still available to them. They seemed to have made the internal transition to corn successfully. They look good. I can't weigh them in this subzero weather and snow but they look to be putting on the pounds.

Cows and heifers - In honor of the Packers/Bears game today and getting through a very cold week (mostly well below zero nights) on their own I put out a fresh bale for the cows/heifers. I unrolled a bit them let them have fun with the bale on the ground for a bit.
IMG_2976_cows_and_heifers_special_treat_bale_012311.jpg

After the game today I will put the remains of the bale in a feeder and fill the rest of the feeders. In my opinion they look pretty good.
IMG_2968_cows_and_heifers_special_treat_bale_012311.jpg

These have had no grain just the hay and Mineralyx tubs as shown in the last picture with a couple heifers:
IMG_2985__cows_and_heifers_special_treat_bale_w_2_heifersatmineraltub_012311.jpg

Jim

apologies for photos being cut off on the right as bit. Evidently the new software here only shows 640x480, these are 800x600 but you get the idea. I did post these elsewhere but folks here have been helpful in getting started and will repost here. Thank you.

Looks like they are doing really well. I always like looking at your cows.

Also looks like you may have to plant wider rows of corn. I think the steers are as wide as the rows. :lol:

Wife just turned on the game so I guess I will go to the farm. She likes football and I cant sit still long enough to watch it. So you guys have fun I will try and get pics from my cows who are probably wondering where I am at. Checked on them yesterday but not today.

Thanks for the kind words about the cattle. I'm afraid they are stuck with 30" corn although that may be one of my guess rows in the photo. I would be pleased to have them too wide for the rows!

I will look forward to your pictures.

Jim

Look great SR .

I want to try corn grazing, maybe this year if the newly seeded hay field does not do as well as we hope. Neighbors 5 miles east of us always corn graze and their cows do really well. I am even amazed that corn grows in our area as I have yet to get a single cob from any that I plant in the garden .

Jim, It's unlikely my cows and yours will ever meet. I sure hope not. Wouldn't want them comparing the food they get. Your cows sure look good. ;-)

HD, Jed, CD thank you for the kind words and comments.

Grazing corn in my system is for finishing my steers/heifers going for processing only. I am evolving into this system for several reasons but the primary one is to give me a corn-finish, corn marbling and corn taste in a "finished" steer with minimal cost and work and not leaving my place.

I also need a system where the cattle do most of the work because I don't have the time facilities or equipment to do it the "normal" way.

I would not let any retained cattle graze corn like this. Grazing in western Canada is very different than this and used for the whole herd. HD,for Canada here is an interesting brochure on grazing corn in the Prairie provinces of Canada:

http://www.dekalb.ca/content/pdf/products/west/Corn/corn_grazing_guide.pdf

Again thanks to all. I am pleasantly surprised at how well they have come through this extremely cold stretch of weather over the past few weeks. The snow depth between those corn rows I just opened up today is about up to my knees.

Jim

Latest posts