Cattle might be drinking from another source that you are unaware of. Also, clorine in "city" water dissipates rather quickly after it is in open container to atmosphere. Might be too acid or alkaline???? Watch them closely for impaction/constipation...check their stools. If stools are moist and they are not losing weight or like, then they are drinking something.
> My first question would be, what's
> wrong with the water? Are there
> other sources of water, puddles,
> pond, etc. Is the waterer equiped
> with a heater? Could there be a
> very low voltage leak?
Dun my well be correct on the low voltage shock. You didn't say if you were using trough heaters. I was approached by a person that raises cattle and horses with the same problem. He had an electrician out and they didn't detect anything a wrong, but the low voltage shock was the problem. My meters didn't dectect any voltage either.
What we did to solve the problem was to drive a 3/4" pipe 6 to 8 foot into the ground by the trough. We then cleaned the paint off of a temporary steel electric fence post. We fastened the post to the inside of the tank so it went clear to the bottom of the tank. We then ran a wire from the post to the pipe we drove into the ground. We fastened the wire with radiator clamps. Problem solved. The horses and cattle would then drink.