Steer off feed help pls

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
Have a angus steer kinda acting weird today. Didnt go to food bowl like usual. very slow eating. This has happened before once when we went to a show 4 hrs away. gave him something , forget the name, they sold it at the show to help the rumen. had plenty left so gave him some this evening. only thing that has changed is the hay. Just had to buy some day before yesterday before we ran out. He is eating 26lbs a day and is fed twice daily, 13lbs morn and evening. He has been at 26 lbs for months. I was told to put baking soda in his feed to stop any acid probs. how much BS do I give him per feeding? We are nearing the end of our project and need to finish w him strong. Thanks for any advive :help:

3 oz. of the BS per feeding. Cut back on the grain ration and increase the hay for a few days then gradually increase the grain and keep the BS in it. Won't hurt to add some yeast to the diet.

Possibly what you purchased at the show was probios. It helps balance things in the gut and increases their appetite as a result. You could give him some in the tube version in his mouth to get him started, then the powder on his food after that.

I'm with brangus on this one. Probios helps balance the good and bad in the gut...yogurt for cows basically.

Have you had sudden weather changes? Is he getting the same amount of exercise he normally gets? If you recently opened feed, did you double check the date? Whth our girls, most times it's something we would consider minor, but somehow they would stop eating.

We have also used "Appetite Ignitor" paste. It's for high stress situations, but would perk them right up and get them eating again.

Is his poop looking like it normally looks? The poop can tell you a lot about what is going on.

txffamom":1qzq6met said:
I'm with brangus on this one. Probios helps balance the good and bad in the gut...yogurt for cows basically.

Have you had sudden weather changes? Is he getting the same amount of exercise he normally gets? If you recently opened feed, did you double check the date? Whth our girls, most times it's something we would consider minor, but somehow they would stop eating.

We have also used "Appetite Ignitor" paste. It's for high stress situations, but would perk them right up and get them eating again.

Is his poop looking like it normally looks? The poop can tell you a lot about what is going on.
Probios is nothing more than multiple strains of yeast cultures mixed into a carrier. It will not rectify acute acidosis, thus the need for sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda) in the short run. But by all means keep the Probios. Your show feed should contain a good amount of probiotics in the formula. If not I'd change brands.

Learn something new everyday. I've never heard of giving baking soda, but top dressed Probios is a part of our feed regimine when they are on full feed.

Gave him a couple lbs 2-3 of grain mixture this mornin and he ate it. We got him out to walk for about 15-20 mins. Walked w tail straight out most of the time. Every once in awhile would pull up his back leg as if to try to scratch his belly. Stool was tight the first couple minutes in the walk then turned loose. Not drinking much water either. It was probias I purchased. I will continue him on it for a couple days. Can I put salt in his mouth for him to drink more? Thanks for the help on this Easter Sunday, my luck, things only go bad at the most inconvenient times.

From what I understand, feed intake and water intake are closely related. The not drinking would concern me more than not eating. You can give a little salt, but I'm not sure I would before knowing what's really going on with him. You can also try a little molasses in his water. We have also used pre-sweetened lemonade powder mixed into a small bucket of water.

You know your animal better than anyone. If he really doesn't seem right, You might take his temp and give your vet a call. Temp is normally the first question our vet asks. Chances are he/she can help you with a quick phone call. And would also give you peace of mind.

I can relate to dealing with stuff on a holiday or in the middle of the night, cause thats about how it goes around here too.

Wasnt able to get him to eat. Mixed up about 3-4 tblspoons of BS in syrup and put it down his throat. Also was able to get about 4 Gas-X in as well. He went to use the bathroom about 5 mins later and it was was a clear bubbly mucus like. Is that from the BS? Normal?

txffamom":99ed7ccx said:
Learn something new everyday. I've never heard of giving baking soda, but top dressed Probios is a part of our feed regimine when they are on full feed.

Most all dairies use sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in the high grain rations they feed in order to maintain proper rumen ph and avoid acidosis. I can also remember my dad taking it long ago for what he called "heart burn or indigestion".

Standing behind him his left side is out more than his right. Its only in his belly not high up on his back.

As of this mornin hes bck on the water. Not gonna give him grain mixture till tomm and start him out slow for a couple days. Alot perkier but looks ruff. Like hes lost weight. Thanks for all the advice and help.

Latest posts