Startup breed questions

Help Support CattleToday:

anyhow . . . .

MarkM":xz4nbnco said:
In my part of the country, 20 miles southeast of Ada, Black Angus seems to rule. I assume that any short term plans should use a black animal. However, I would prefer a red breed for my long term grass-fed plans.

All ideas, opinions, suggestions are appreciated. I am posting this in the "Beginners" as well as "Breeds" forums.

I'm not sure there's ever been a correlation between "red" and long term grass fed beef.

I would definitely look into other grass fed programs. Does ear matter in your area? Frame score and milking certainly will. You are grass feeding, but will you put a higher priority on marbling or yield grade? I actually can't imagine a straightbred program would be best - prolly a 3 way cross with some drought and disease resistance? Pharo's an interesting thought - he's certainly done what you're talking about. Maybe an F1 cow with a Pharo bull?

Val wrote:
"Ok, what difference does it make on how it gets tender? Genetics, bacteria, enzymes?"

Val,
It can make a huge difference. Now, I can't necessarily speak to the difference between tenderness due to inheritance of genetic factors compared to proper aging (controlled autolysis) due to the slow, continued action of enzymes naturally present in the muscle tissues...BUT, if the 'tenderization' were due to bacterial growth in/on the carcass(and 3-way was dead-on about the logarithmic growth curve of bacteria) - you might find yourself experiencing some rather undesirable gastronomic upheavals and an urgent need to stay within short traveling distance of bathroom facilities for a day or so.
Staphylococcal enterotoxin won't kill you - but it might make you hope for death. E.coli O157/H7 can kill you.

Latest posts