Starting from scratch

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for the help.
We are a commercial angus breeder with a couple of Registered black angus cows in production. In january I will be going to school for ET and purchased a really nice (in my opinion) heifer from California Angus days a few weeks ago.
"Gidget" 4 M MS Oaklie 906 (AMF-NHF)
Gidgetbody.jpg

100_0247.jpg

Gidgetface.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't great. I am still learning about grooming and standing a cow.
My problems are this. I can't figure out where to go from here.
I have this nice show heifer here which I intend to breed (AI) and have her first calf out of. I want to continue to show her in the mean time in order to get her out and make her worth (as well as offspring) more money. I am having a hard time finding out how to do this without being a youth. Also not wanting to sell her. Is there a way to show her and still be able to breed her but get her out there and show her myself as I don't have any youths to show her? Would it be better to have youth show her offspring at fairs which means a long weight for us and probably a drop in her genetic value as time goes by.
I am also debating as to what to do with the calf first. If a nice heifer I can sell her at California Angus days in December of 2010. If a bull, and a nice one I can sell at World of bulls sale in November 2010. Or I can keep the heifer calf and add her to the herd. Generally we castrate everything male that drops here. We aren't really in the market or have the top genetics to sell bulls. Now we technically due I beleve.
After the first calf is here I intend on using this cow as a flush cow as her genetics seem to be really good. I am still learning the registered angus genetics so bear with me on all this. The intention is to take our heavily culled commercial angus and put embryo's in them to have a crop of registered angus. Then work from there.
Any suggestions on what to do? Where to go from here? Anything?
Thanks again. Hope I didn't confuse youall to much.

Double R

Take one step at a time. I assume that you are currently shwoing her, Is that coorect? In your situation, if there is not a decent youth to show her your only alternatives are 1 to do it yourself which requires a lot of time and a bit of cash. 2. To find a fitter to take her on and campaign her which requires more cash and just a bit of time. Before I would flush anything I would demand that they perform not only pedigree wise but either very well in the showring with decent production capabilities or Excellent production such as maternal EPD's One way or the other I would want to see a natural calf out of her before I flushed her. What if she wouldnt milk or really raise a calf on her own? Would you want to perpetuate that in your herd? I should think not. It's best to AI her the first time, see how she does then if you get a few more things to click go ahead with it. I would almost want to have others pressureing me to flush her before I thought it was worth it. Weve had a good many winners with decent pedigrees. However, over the past 10 years we've only had one of our own caows that we heavily flushed. How has she done in the show ring this far? what shows? What exactly does she have in her pedigree (top and bottom)?

I agree with Avalon, AI her first and see what she can do. I'd have a hard time flushing her and implanting a whole heap of other productive cows without actually having an idea of how she'll perform. I think that you should spend your time now looking at how you want to improve on her and start researching some bulls that you could buy semen from.

I'm not from the US so I can't comment on shows.

Avalon":1xs5xm1v said:
Take one step at a time. I assume that you are currently shwoing her, Is that coorect? In your situation, if there is not a decent youth to show her your only alternatives are 1 to do it yourself which requires a lot of time and a bit of cash. 2. To find a fitter to take her on and campaign her which requires more cash and just a bit of time. Before I would flush anything I would demand that they perform not only pedigree wise but either very well in the showring with decent production capabilities or Excellent production such as maternal EPD's One way or the other I would want to see a natural calf out of her before I flushed her. What if she wouldnt milk or really raise a calf on her own? Would you want to perpetuate that in your herd? I should think not. It's best to AI her the first time, see how she does then if you get a few more things to click go ahead with it. I would almost want to have others pressureing me to flush her before I thought it was worth it. Weve had a good many winners with decent pedigrees. However, over the past 10 years we've only had one of our own caows that we heavily flushed. How has she done in the show ring this far? what shows? What exactly does she have in her pedigree (top and bottom)?

Hello and thank you for your response. I will try and answer your questions as well as possible. First no she has not been shown. She is just coming on 10 months old. I have at this point been unable to find a show that I personally can show her at. This is a first for me. I have a cow calf opperation. I want to get into higher genetics and a little bit of showing.
We will be AI'ing her in April/May for her first calf which she will have and raise. For reasons that I believe are obvious and were stated above. I want to show her in the mean time if possible. I have seen stuff for showing bred heifers as well as heifers with calves at side. This is why im writing here is to find out what options are available for me. I can't market a winner if I can't show her and win.
As far as her genetics are concerned:

4 M Ms Oaklie 906
Reg: AAA 16401398

[AMF-NHF]Cow
Birth Date: 02/01/2009
Tattoo: 906

G A R Precision 1680 AAA #11520398 [AMC-NHC]
Twin Valley Precision E161 AAA #12346200 [NHC-AMF-RDF]
W C C Blackcap C9 AAA +11911768 [RDC]
BR Midland AAA #13898124 [AMF-NHF]
S A F Neutron AAA #+11747039 [AMF-NHF]
BR Royal Lass 7036-19 AAA 13253905
S A F Royal Lass 7036 AAA #12787400

B/R New Design 036 AAA #11418151 [AMF-NHF]
Bon View New Design 878 AAA #13062750 [AMF-NHF]
Bon View Gammer 85 AAA 12346837
4 M Precious Lass 402 AAA 14833344 [AMF-NHF]
G A R Precision 1680 AAA #11520398 [AMC-NHC]
4 M Oscars Precious Lass AAA 13562719
P F Classic Lassie AAA 12541794

# Pathfinder + Embryo Transplant

Didn't copy over quite as it is on the registry but atleast maybe it gives some idea of genetics. Feel free to give me opinions on the genetics if you have any.

Look forward to hearing back from youall. Really want this to go well and make a few right decisions with this heifer. We've had such bad luck in past years with our commercial cattle in purchasing bad cattle and having a bad "low birthweight bull" that almost killed off our whole operation.
Thanks for the help.
Double R

What sort of reception has Mytty in Focus received in the US and Canada. He's just recently become popular in Australia and is touted as a low BW bull... Apparently he's quite maternal as well. I wish he carried more butt and muscle in general

The pedigree is pretty decent. I looked up her EPD's they are so so.. Heres the deal. If you intend to compete with her on the open show circuit, I would cantact the CA Angus assn. See if they know of any fitters who will haul fit and show cattle that are in the area. You might even consider one of the big outfits in California like Sylvera bros. If you talk to a ranch, ask for their show cattle manager and ask that person if they know of any fitters that will take on outside cattle for shows. I'll warn you this is a money pit so hold on to your wallet. Another thing that you should do is contact your local county extension agent. Let him/her know what you are wanting to do. and seek some guidance from them. Thtas the best cousel I can give from this far away. Good look.

Avalon":2ozz2rim said:
The pedigree is pretty decent. I looked up her EPD's they are so so.. Heres the deal. If you intend to compete with her on the open show circuit, I would cantact the CA Angus assn. See if they know of any fitters who will haul fit and show cattle that are in the area. You might even consider one of the big outfits in California like Sylvera bros. If you talk to a ranch, ask for their show cattle manager and ask that person if they know of any fitters that will take on outside cattle for shows. I'll warn you this is a money pit so hold on to your wallet. Another thing that you should do is contact your local county extension agent. Let him/her know what you are wanting to do. and seek some guidance from them. Thtas the best cousel I can give from this far away. Good look.

Thanks for the help. I have done what you suggested and am waiting for responses. Will post any updates I get. We have already decided to breed her to Rito 6i6. That will be in spring though. The breeder called but didn't leave his number so im trying to get intouch with them to see how the sibling is doing on the show circuit.
Thanks again!
Double R

In my 3rd world backwards way of thinking I'm of the opinion that its better to show what you breed than it is to breed for the showring.

I don't know if I really have advice. I'm new at this cattle thing. I have them as pets. But my grandkids show them in the fair for 4-h. Just to learn about them. But we also have open heirfer entire's Which anyone can show. Kids, Teens, Adults, has no age limit. If you just want to get them out there to show and get feed back, I think that's one way of doing it. We have a Family that raises herefords and has gotten alot of sales from showing there herifers. The following year we have others coming back showing their calfs that they had born on there ranch. Matter of fact, I talk to her myself about bring my herifer to her place to mate with there bull. Not that I'm in the market. But it seems that they have nice health calf born, and they took champ last year.

KNERSIE":3vc0jwoc said:
In my 3rd world backwards way of thinking I'm of the opinion that its better to show what you breed than it is to breed for the showring.

Point well taken! Tha is why im asking. Thyanks for the advise. Im weighing it all out.
Double R

Mare":3pz662uy said:
I don't know if I really have advice. I'm new at this cattle thing. I have them as pets. But my grandkids show them in the fair for 4-h. Just to learn about them. But we also have open heirfer entire's Which anyone can show. Kids, Teens, Adults, has no age limit. If you just want to get them out there to show and get feed back, I think that's one way of doing it. We have a Family that raises herefords and has gotten alot of sales from showing there herifers. The following year we have others coming back showing their calfs that they had born on there ranch. Matter of fact, I talk to her myself about bring my herifer to her place to mate with there bull. Not that I'm in the market. But it seems that they have nice health calf born, and they took champ last year.

Yes and thanks for the response. That is my point of the showing question. I want to get her out there and see how she competes. If she comes last in every class due to her physical traits then that is not good for me and maybe I should base a large amount of business on her. Im not looking to take the highest National Angus champion whatever it is. Just want to get her out and see if she's worth a crap. She was bred to show and usually people don't take one of there "best" to a show and sale like I bought her from unless it truly is something or they look like fools and there reputation would be junk.
Thanks for the help.
Double R

Since no one elese has pointed it out to you the lead shank is on the halter on the wrong side.

i would do one of two things

take the money and go to Vegas....just as good odds as building a herd around one heifer that is about like a thousand others out there.

or

spend the money on a proven cow that has progeny on the ground and build a herd on ....something you know will work in your environment.

Chi496":1ia3yltm said:
Since no one elese has pointed it out to you the lead shank is on the halter on the wrong side.

LOL! Thats funny. It came on that side so I just assumed it was right. Thanks. Now I know but the question is will I remember ;-)
Double R

pdfangus":3rh0xohr said:
i would do one of two things

take the money and go to Vegas....just as good odds as building a herd around one heifer that is about like a thousand others out there.

or

spend the money on a proven cow that has progeny on the ground and build a herd on ....something you know will work in your environment.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunitly I can't do either. Spent every last dime on this heifer.
Double R

Double R Ranch":2z5epq1g said:
My problems are this. I can't figure out where to go from here.
I have this nice show heifer here which I intend to breed (AI) and have her first calf out of. I want to continue to show her in the mean time in order to get her out and make her worth (as well as offspring) more money. I am having a hard time finding out how to do this without being a youth.
The only shows I know of that an adult can show at are the big shows, National Western Stock Show, North American International Livestock Expo, etc.
Also not wanting to sell her. Is there a way to show her and still be able to breed her but get her out there and show her myself as I don't have any youths to show her?
Would it be better to have youth show her offspring at fairs which means a long weight for us and probably a drop in her genetic value as time goes by.
Yes, you can breed her and show her. You can show her as a bred heifer now and then if she still looks good and has an acceptable calf you can show them as a pair and the calf by itself in its own class.
I am also debating as to what to do with the calf first. If a nice heifer I can sell her at California Angus days in December of 2010. If a bull, and a nice one I can sell at World of bulls sale in November 2010. Or I can keep the heifer calf and add her to the herd. Generally we castrate everything male that drops here. We aren't really in the market or have the top genetics to sell bulls. Now we technically due I beleve.
After the first calf is here I intend on using this cow as a flush cow as her genetics seem to be really good.
I would wait until she has more than one calf to decide if she is worth flushing. We generally wait for 3 calves to be on the ground. I would also breed her to a couple different bulls to see what bull type she works with. I would not suggest going with showy bulls on the first breeding. On her, you might want to find something with a cleaner front than what she has. If you are serious in campaigning her, and you don't have much experience, you should probably find a fitter to help you.

KNERSIE":rxbcnpj4 said:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Jovid":2wipyb4d said:
KNERSIE":2wipyb4d said:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I for one appreciate that (third world backward) thinking. But I think we opened up Pandoras box when a magazine cover or a trophy became the objective. Its fine for kids to go purchase something to win since they have to get started somewhere. But the real goal ought to be to "raise" something that competes or sells.

She is very pretty. If you want to find a youth to show her, contact your County Extension Office and talk to the 4H Agent, and contact area High Schools that have a FFA Chapter. Talk to the Ag teachers.

Good luck with her. I hope that when the time comes, she will carry a calf. Unfortunately sometimes you get a dud in the breeding department. Been there, done that with show heifers
depressed.gif

Latest posts