Starting a Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Quickest way to break one is to let them drag the halter around for a week, then tie them in the barn where they can lay down. Feed and water tied for a couple days, then start trying to lead them to feed and water. If they don't want to go, tie them back and try again later. Doesn't take very long for them to learn.
That's how I was told to break my bottle calf. Morning and evening I go out and put the halter on, tie him short, and feed him. I leave him for a couple hours then take it off.

Haven't tried leading him yet. Just tieing to make him understand to step forward to release the pressure and trying to associate it with positive things like feeding, scratches, etc.

Seems to be working so far but time will tell.

That's how I was told to break my bottle calf. Morning and evening I go out and put the halter on, tie him short, and feed him. I leave him for a couple hours then take it off.

Haven't tried leading him yet. Just tieing to make him understand to step forward to release the pressure and trying to associate it with positive things like feeding, scratches, etc.

Seems to be working so far but time will tell.
Seen one tied short with a broke neck.

Seen one tied short with a broke neck.
Guess I should be more specific. I started with 4' or so and being there in case some thing happened. Then each day shortened it up little by little as he showed he would not fight it. Now he will stand, tied short, for several hours at a time with out fighting the rope halter.

If I am going to run to town or be working around the yard for a while I'll give him a couple feet where he can lay down next to where he is tied.

Guess I should be more specific. I started with 4' or so and being there in case some thing happened. Then each day shortened it up little by little as he showed he would not fight it. Now he will stand, tied short, for several hours at a time with out fighting the rope halter.

If I am going to run to town or be working around the yard for a while I'll give him a couple feet where he can lay down next to where he is tied.
It was a granddaughter twenty years ago short tied the heifer.
Very high dollar heifer too boot.
I was upset at her dad going to furious in a millisecond. Accidents can happen. I ask y'all skinned her out for the freezer and the reply was no we buried the calf.
They never got another calf from me.