Show feeding help- Moved from New Comers

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ok y'all I made an account just to get help! I have a simbrah heifer that has been out on pasture for a few months and show time has been approaching, constantly fighting my mother to get her pinned off and on feed she agreed to go get feed tomorrow, I have her pinned off and she is semi halter broke, I can finish her no problem, she has a TON of hair! and a great wide frame with thick sturdy bones! BUT she has a huge hay belly and NO FAT on her whatsoever! She needs weight put on her fast! And her breeder who sponsored me with her will be at the show! I'm freaking out and I need advice on how to get fat on her FAST! Please any advice would help, I'm DESPRATE :help:

What's the time frame between now and the show?

You need to be ffeeding grain twice a day. It will take months.

Can you post a pic of the heifer?

Find out the percent corn in the base feed you bought and then blend in flaked or crimped corn until corn makes up about 60 to 65 percent of the total ration. Don't expect this to work in a month or less. Getting show finish on an animal takes time.

Can't offer any more suggestions on feeding (a molasses supplement too perhaps? anyone?), but from how you describe her she sounds like she'll be a really good cow who just doesn't need supplements to raise a nice calf

Good luck with her!

Heifers should not be FAT, they need to be conditioned. You are not fattening a steer for consumption, you are bringing up a heifer that will have a short show career, and hopefully spend the rest of her life as a productive cow. You get her fat and she will never make a good cow!
Now, a picture would make evaluating what you are seeing easier on all of us. But, you can start her on a good show feed and bring her up slowly, to the point where she is on 3% of her body weight. For anyone to suggest so many pounds without knowing her age or size would just be guessing. You need to give us more information.
We will be waiting for your reply. Make sure to include your show date.

[imgIMG_2820.JPG][/img] that's another picture of her, she's a first year march calf and now show is in a little over two weeks I have her on a developer with beat pulp twice a day

You will need an account on a place like Photobucket.com, and upload the picture there, then you can have a link that will start with 'http://img.photobucket.com..... copy and paste it here
there's a thread (top of every forum section I think?) that tells you the nitty gritty.

You have to decide if she is marker or breeding. Market animals should be fed grain not on pasture but they will get fat and once they are fat they won't make a good cow. Breeding should be on pasture but won't be fat. Its a split road between market and breeding.

Latest posts