Starting from Scratch

Help Support CattleToday:

As stated here many times in this thread " THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES". And if there was, why would you want to get the Government involved? Just look around you and see how the government has screwed up a lot of a good things. Once they get they're claws into something its just a matter of time.
Yes. the County Extension office in your area has a lot of good info on many things and can be of good help.
Take your time and do it yourself. Leasing land is much cheaper than buying land.
My 2 cent'er

We participated in a cost share program lost year with soil conservation and had part of a pond/water system funded. Just like anything else in life when you get something you also loose something. I can't say that it was a "bad" deal. We decided to participate as our ag agent said the money was there and would be used by somebody (probably someone a lot less needy) if we didn't apply. The program did help some, but as far as I know there isn't any help that will come close to what you will spend.

My grandfather used to raise 700 head when I was a little girl. I loved spending time with him and the cows. I bought my farm first and really had to considered if I wanted the responsibility and work that would come from raising cows - especially when you consider the cost of cows, fencing, feed, good pasture expenses, etc. Right now it is not a moneymaking enterprise - but is a tax break :lol:

I would agree to start out small and don't get yourself in over your head. We are still small, less than 20 head, and are working on increasing/improving our herd slowly. I would caution against starting at a stockyard. Begin with a breeder who is selling heiffers. I have also had great luck with a really picky breeder who will cull 2 yr old heiffers because of very slight uniformity issues. We started with one 15 acre field, and a coral ( I wish I had done more as fencing has doubles + in that time). :r

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1xwbmh47 said:
It is never easy,and it takes time.Land is not getting any cheaper,buy land even if you have to borrow the money,as long as you can make the payments. Building your farm/ranch will be a good tax break for you while you are growing. You are still young enough to do it and leave something for your kids to build on.May want to scale back on your herd at first.Put everything you make plus the money you get back on taxes into the farm to pay off the land and equipment. Our currency is not worth much nowadays,and it will reach a point where it is worthless. Tangibles is where you should put your hard earned money,something that will help feed you and your family when things get tough (things are rough now,but will get worse). ;-) :cboy:

I agree totally!! Do what you can and get it paid for as soon as possible.

rancher4life

Welcome aboard. Lots of good advice at this forum. Let me share a few things that have not been mentioned.

Some words of wisdom I have heard before:

1. Good judgement comes from experience & experience comes from bad judgement.

2. In order to suceed one must first plan to fail INEXPENSIVELY.

Trust me, there is no shortcut to this process. However by learning as much as possible from the experiences of others you may be able to reduce the cost of the experience process. Find a mentor-rancher and volunteer to work for free for the experience. Do your homework & save, save,save + plan, plan ,plan.

There are some books that I highly recommend for anyone in the cattle business:

1. "Knowledge Rich Ranching" This book is about the business side of the cattle business, goals, financing, cattle cycle, economics, grazing management, etc.

2. "Thoughts & Advice From an Old Cattleman" Written by renowned stocker operator & veterinarian Gordon Hazard DVM. The title says it all.

3. "Management Intensive Grazing" by the guru of grass Jim Gerrish. Covers soils, growing quality pasture, manageing pastures & animals, animal care, fencing, water systems & designing grazing systems.

The following link is for the Stockman Grassfarmer magazine, where you can order the above books & also request a free sample copy of the magazine. There are a number of other good books available at this site also.

http://www.stockmangrassfarmer.net/

Hope you find this info helpful.

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

Thanks for all the replies so far, I've found them helpful already.

I'll note a couple of things to help narrow my question.

Even though I rode in on this thread, that mentioned government assistance, it never occured to me that there'd be any government programs that would be helpful, or even exist, in my case. I know there's no grants. The only thing that would exist, I believe, would be state and federal loans. I'd consider those for an advantageous interest rate, but a loan has to be paid back of course.

On loans, I agree with the wisdom of not having any, if possible. In my case, I didn't think I could get started without having a loan, and I've never lost money on one so far. I pay them back early. Here, however, I have to be frank that I have a town job. There's no way I could have made any sort of real profit, most years, with a loan. The goal was to get the herd built up.

Now I'm only at 50 head, and at the rate I'm expanding, 0 to 50, in ten years I fear that I'm never going to get anywhere. I've concentrated on trying to get cattle, but soon I'll be topped out for where I'm running them, as my relatives have to have room for their own cattle, and have two sons comeing into the business. They've worked with me very well, and want to continue to do so, but I have to be realistic.

I'd never though of getting land first and cattle second, probably because I'd here more than one person suggest the opposite should be done. But maybe I've been looking at it the wrong way? Perhaps I should pick up what I can, and then try to build with it, in terms of land purchases?

Anyhow, all the advice is appreciated.

Sean H.":29z4e9dn said:
Even though I rode in on this thread, that mentioned government assistance, it never occured to me that there'd be any government programs that would be helpful, or even exist, in my case. I know there's no grants. The only thing that would exist, I believe, would be state and federal loans. I'd consider those for an advantageous interest rate, but a loan has to be paid back of course.

Check with your local USDA-NRCS office to see if you qualify for any programs. We've done several cost shares with the gov (combined fed and state) picking up 75% of the tab. That 75% has allowed us to do a lot more improvements in a much shorter time then would have been possible out of pocket.

dun

dun":2nshs4xv said:
Sean H.":2nshs4xv said:

Check with your local USDA-NRCS office to see if you qualify for any programs. We've done several cost shares with the gov (combined fed and state) picking up 75% of the tab. That 75% has allowed us to do a lot more improvements in a much shorter time then would have been possible out of pocket.

dun

All of the above is true.However, you must look at everything. The government money would come in handy....but the govt will tell you HOW to spend it.Also, it is not free, you will be given a 1099 and have to pay taxes on what you receive (it is treated as income) which may be ok, depending on your income.If you check with NRCS you will find that the govt already knows a LOT about your land (big brother)....do you want them to know even more? Just a thought. ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts