Starting from Scratch

Help Support CattleToday:

rancher4life

Reaction score
I am new at this. I do not have land yet but I am looking at approximately 100 acres. Is there any Govt. programs that will help me get started with the purchase of the land and live stock? This is what I was born to do.

rancher4life":3gk2617r said:
I am new at this. I do not have land yet but I am looking at approximately 100 acres. Is there any Govt. programs that will help me get started with the purchase of the land and live stock? This is what I was born to do.

Talk about waving the red flag. I suspect you will have a few comments on this one, but if you do a search you will find this topic has been pretty well done to death.

If you were "born" to do it, you will find a way. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Bez

Best way I have found, is to earn some money with work and save up until you get enough to get started.
Let the gov. help those that cant help themselves.

As a taxpayer, I'm certainly not interested in fronting anyone's Ranching operation. The Government never helped me get started. I'm not interested in a "Free Ride'.I know my tax $ are wasted on a routine basis, but it's flat out wrong.

Welcome to the boards, rancher4life. Great to have you posting up. There's government assistance here and there,,but none - that i know of - that'll help you with the $$'s to purchase land and livestock. If u find such a program,,pls be sure to post it here so we'll all know about it,,ok? ;-)

Depending on your state of residence,,,there's technical assistance from the dept of ag (here in my state thru the NRCS),,,and state programs (again here in my state thru the county extension agent). There's expertise there that's available to you,,,and also plenty of reading and educational material - and yes, some have programs in which you cost-share with the government for such things as land restoration,,planting of native grasses,,wildlife habitat,,and such.

Good luck with what you're doing,,and let us hear how it's going for you,,ok?

There are tax break programs associated with the puchase of land and cattle, and sometimes grants for regions which have been affected with a hard seasons or envronmental disasters.

Let me know if you find some program giving out handouts for getting started and/or improving an operation....I'm still waiting... :D, and I think the exisiting famers should go first!

Try moving to an area that is undergoing rural reviltalization or rural improvement, by the government. You might be able to get the government to fund a nice spread on some really dry sandy soil... :D

Theres not any free money...all money comes from somebody elses work or there ideas or there investments...its not just free goverment money. Us folks that work 7 days a week ARE the goverment. And we dont want you taking our money. Get to work and youll get there...may be later instead of sooner but youll get there. Its a great life we have and you are wise to want it for yourself. Theres some good people on here to help you. Get to work and good luck to you

Well welcome to the theater of maddness.I started from scratch 15 years ago- so I will share the mistakes I made --First off there is no room for you and the bank in cattle business.you will have to work like h--l at your day job -you know weekend farmers ,their the ones that phone at 6.30 in the morning or 11.00 at night. Every day time hour is precsious to them. One thing I did was buy old equipment --(cheap ) but I bought 2 of them- and saved a mint on parts even today when I go to someone elses yard Im looking at the bush to see whats in there-might be a deal- stay away from equipment too complicated for you to fix--ie automatic transmissions ect. Learn to weld, wish you the best but God it takes a lot of energy,Dont know if I have left in me what it takes to do it all over again. But we raised two daughters here and they tell me ,they would not want to live anywhere else; they done without a lot so we could make it work ,both of them got part time jobs at 15 and people tell me what nice kids they are ---Ya it was worth it

Some real good points being made here.

Rancher4life,,,if you've got kids, i want to emphasize what it means to give young'uns the opportunity to be exposed to the outdoors,,the soil,,and the ability to get closer to God's great creations.

On my place,,i run a hunting operation along with our cattle operation,,so i get some real good opportunities to visit with both adults and kids who were raised on concrete and urban streets,,,as well as those who've been raised in rural areas and the outdoors.

IMHO,,the difference in attitude,,appreciation,,and mind-set (uh,,about such things as honor, civic duty,,respect, and such),,of the young'uns - who are raised in different settings - is huge!

Now...i ain't smart enuff to know why the difference is so huge - but,,if you've got kids,,it ain't nothing better than giving them the opportunity to be raised in the outdoors and being exposed to all it offers. Good luck to you!

denoginnizer":y67v0wrp said:
Best way I have found, is to earn some money with work and save up until you get enough to get started.
Let the gov. help those that cant help themselves.

Yeah, I just wish the government would do a little less for those that can help themselves but won't. :x

If I had to do this all over again I would make some changes in the appraoch that I would take here are some considerations that come to mind:
1...Planning and budget would be a primary consideration.
Know what direction you want to go i.e. size and purpose of
the operation(why do you want to raise cattle, money?
hobby?, retirement?) how much do you have to invest.
2...Determine your abilities, what do you know about cows and
farm life...some times just going to buy groceries is a
planned event.
3...Start small, we did and are thankful for it...allowed us to
build without going into debt.
4...Develop a network of friends who you can help you with the
day to day problems...and pull a calf when necessary.
I'm rambling on here, but I would have planned more thoroughly
and had a more specific direction i.e cow/calf or feeder...now we have both and still not sure if we want to keep both.
Oh yeah....make sure that your spouse in in total support of your decisions...makes life alot easier.
Dave Mc

There are programs to help young and beginning farmers and ranchers. From what I know about them it involves low interest loans with better financing options for farmers and ranchers. There is a lot of paperwork involved and I think you actually have a mentor/accountant type individual that will assess your business plan and help you get going. I would start at your local ag office and if they can't point you in the right direction maybe go to a state or regional office.

I am guessing you were looking for something along those lines when you asked for gov't assisstance since you didn't ask for a grant or anything like that. Good luck.

Don't let some of these guys get you down rancher4life, I am in the planning stages myself much like you are. There is alot of sources out there that can help you. I don't have my notebook in front of me but Google these and see what you come up with.

Environmental Quality Incentive Program
Natural Resource Conservation Service
USDA Rural Developement
USDA FSA

Alot depends on where you live, but there are many programs for first time ranchers, funds for developing brushland into pasture land, and low interest long term financing.

Susie David- Agree with all that she (he?) had to say. I am finding planning and education to be a big challenge. Find yourself a mentor if possible. I am lucky enough to know a fine gentleman here in South Texas who has taught me alot and introduced me to some great people.

oljim- He mentioned technical assistance through the Ag Dept. (or County Extension Agent). They are a very good source of information. if you don't know how to contact them just call the County Courthouse and they can probably give you there number. When I first called mine I got some bozo who was not very helpful. I paid them a visit in person and got a real nice fellow who gave me several pieces of literature, website references, and places for soil testing and such.

1848- Would like to hear more about the tax programs you mentioned, or where to go on the web to find out more.

tapeworm- "Theres not any free money...all money comes from somebody elses work or there ideas or there investments...its not just free goverment money" What do you mean there is no free money? We are talking about the Federal Government....they need more they just print more! (just kidding!)

Go out and get some books on ranching and farming and start learning the process and what all is involved. Nothing takes the place of hands on experience but the knowledge you gain from reading will help you understand the process and terminology as you begin.

Not all of us are fortunate enough to inherit land on which to farm or ranch and not all of us have jobs that pay enough to be able to save the money to pay for it out of pocket, but with proper planning and patience it can be done so don't get discouraged. Personally I would like to see alot more people going back to the country life. I think it will improve not only their lives but our country as a whole.

-Greenhorn

Greenhorn":oa3eo6lr said:
Don't let some of these guys get you down rancher4life, I am in the planning stages myself much like you are. There is alot of sources out there that can help you. I don't have my notebook in front of me but Google these and see what you come up with.

Environmental Quality Incentive Program
Natural Resource Conservation Service
USDA Rural Developement
USDA FSA

Alot depends on where you live, but there are many programs for first time ranchers, funds for developing brushland into pasture land, and low interest long term financing.

Susie David- Agree with all that she (he?) had to say. I am finding planning and education to be a big challenge. Find yourself a mentor if possible. I am lucky enough to know a fine gentleman here in South Texas who has taught me alot and introduced me to some great people.

oljim- He mentioned technical assistance through the Ag Dept. (or County Extension Agent). They are a very good source of information. if you don't know how to contact them just call the County Courthouse and they can probably give you there number. When I first called mine I got some bozo who was not very helpful. I paid them a visit in person and got a real nice fellow who gave me several pieces of literature, website references, and places for soil testing and such.

1848- Would like to hear more about the tax programs you mentioned, or where to go on the web to find out more.

tapeworm- "Theres not any free money...all money comes from somebody elses work or there ideas or there investments...its not just free goverment money" What do you mean there is no free money? We are talking about the Federal Government....they need more they just print more! (just kidding!)

Go out and get some books on ranching and farming and start learning the process and what all is involved. Nothing takes the place of hands on experience but the knowledge you gain from reading will help you understand the process and terminology as you begin.

Not all of us are fortunate enough to inherit land on which to farm or ranch and not all of us have jobs that pay enough to be able to save the money to pay for it out of pocket, but with proper planning and patience it can be done so don't get discouraged. Personally I would like to see alot more people going back to the country life. I think it will improve not only their lives but our country as a whole.

-Greenhorn

There is no free lunch (money) out there. There are alot of programs associated with these gov. agencies, just too many strings attached. Most of the time your half of the cost sharing part is more than what it would have cost you to do it yourself. Thats because they throw in alot of extra requirements, ie. BS to deal with.

We are "eligible" for minority loans and such, but we have no use for them. We learned along time ago that just plain hard work and managing our finances is the only way. Well, that's how its been for us. Like others have said, if you find that free money let us know too.

We been in this country 19 years and we started from scratch. The biggest thing that helped us acheive so far is our relationship with the banker. That relationship goes back to hard work and paying the bills on time, everytime...

Ricky Quezada

Well, the first thing I would tell you is to have all your infrastructure in place before you buy any cattle, i.e., tractor, implements, fencing etc. As far as getting help buying land, I don't think there is a govt. entity that will help you do that. Even if there was, it would take you a couple of years just to get the loan process through. In that time, you could have asked alot of question on this board and pretty much set yourself up. Good luck with your dream.

Dick

http://www.mda.mo.gov/SmallFarm/assisting.htm

this is in Missouri..... you didn't say where you were from and every state has specific programs.

For myself, I've started out small, paid cash for all stock and I've now accumulated 5 cows, 11 heifers, 8 bulls (yes I know I don't need that many bulls but they are leased out...and as they are sold off I will replace them with bred cows) and all this in about a 9 month period.

*edited to add ... six bottle calves as well.

FSA, Farm Service Agency, here in Ms. have programs for the youth, like children who are in 4H to start a business, and cattle is one of the choices. Its no free ride, but it is a loan of 5k to get started. Of course the money is to be repaid. They have a nice payment program also. One payment per year, but you need to have a fool proof plan. It has to be repaid { win, loose, or draw.} Its only 5% intrest. I have a son who did that he is doing pretty well, the cows are paying thier own way, pretty much. You won't see any profit until they are paid for, and if you watch every penny, you may keep a heifer sometimes, and hopefully you can, or else when your loan is paid off, all you will have will be old cows. The child has to be in 4H, and at least 10 yrs old, not over 21 yrs old. This may or may not be in whatever state you are in. I am proud of my son. He has only done good. He has also spent money out of his pocket also, and don't mind working. That will make the program work. Lazy, and not watching things, and trying to put out some prevenative maintinance, so to speak, won't work. Good luck.

one of my favorite sayings, "A job welldone is one you've done yourself". We started out about 12 years ago wanting to raise cattle. Since I had been around it all my life and we'd moved onto land that's been in hubby's family since the 1850s. He was working a very low pay job at the local Ford New Holland tractor dealership. Some weeks barely making enuff to buy groceries. The way we got started was the barter system. He's a fairly good mechanic and carpenter. An uncle was building a house and needed the wiring done..so in exchange for that we got a 2 year old hereford cross heifer. Another older uncle needed help feeding thru the winter. Come spring, he asked if he could be paid with a heifer..we ended up starting out with three cows, and getting them bred by uncles bull. All this time saving heifers and never borrowing money from the bank for anything. Our herd is now at 120 head of mama's. It's not somethin that happens over night. It takes dedication and hard work. But it's all worth it in the end.
I wish you luck. I see from your post that you are from california. Are you planning on ranching in california or somewhere else? I can't imagine how much 100 acres would cost there. Much less be able to afford it and make any money from a cattle operation.

Latest posts