Start-up's

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
This question seem's to pop up over and over and everyone thinks they are going to get rich.
First buy your land and build your infrastructure before you think about the first cow. (Pay cash)
Buy red cows they are cheaper (pay cash)
Buy a good bull (pay cash)
It cost the same to upkeep a POS as a good cow 400 dollars a year.
You do not need a new John Deere an old Massey will get you by( pay cash)
You do not need an F-350 Diesel Truck
You do not need a cattle trailer
You can hire your hauling done for a fraction of the cost.
You don't need hay baleing equipment.
You do not need a horse which is a bottomless pit in which to waste money, horse eats what 3 cows does with no return.
You do not need a cowboy hat.

It is totally amazing how hard some of yall make this.
Maintain the land and grass.
You are a grass farmer not a rootin tootin shootin cowboy.
Buy good cows this is actually cheaper than POC's
Place grass in front of cow.
Place bull behind cow.
Provide minerals for cow.
Cow that is gaining or maintaining is tender.
Cow that is loosing is tough.

Caustic Burno":3fawo7gi said:
You do not need a horse which is a bottomless pit in which to waste money, horse eats what 3 cows does with no return.

You mean you don;t need a horse and a hat when you trail your herd to Abilene?

dun

Dang.. You mean I can't make up the difference between a good cow and a POS cow by wearing a really good cowboy hat and driving a nice tractor?

Well boys, my plans are back to square one.

Edited to add:

I do intend to pay cash for everything. I don't have any of it right now so I'll have to borrow it from the bank -- but I'll be sure and use it to buy what I need!!

That counts, right?

Caustic Burno":2mofi8kg said:
Place bull behind cow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Typical Caustic logic

certherfbeef":1401o51r said:
Caustic Burno":1401o51r said:
Place bull behind cow.

Typical Caustic logic

Some times it is that simple. I do not know if it was the truth, but the owner of the sale barn had a guy madder than everything because his cows did not calve. When asked if he had a bull he said no. He fed breeders cubes.

The only thing to add, bear in mind is that you have to also use common sense. e.g. don't put more cows on a pasture than can be fed off of that pasture. I see too many folks with a small patch and a bunch of cows. When you do this the $400 a year cost will escalate through the roof. You wind up buying feed from another patch.

Caustic, if you could get folks to listen and think about your posts, you could help them drastically.

That is hilarious Scotty. Had a contractor neighbor a few years ago that must have been having a mid-life crisis so he started buying a bunch of high dollar Red Angus cows. Big hat, bolo-tie, silver tipped boots.

Called one day to say he bought a new chute but couldn't get the cows in it. I told him I'd run over and give him a hand. Crap you not, the chute was sitting in the pen he built............................................with no alley way up to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post Caustic. I agree with all of it except one thing, here a red cow is going to cost you more but they should still buy them red regardless.

Victoria":25jgjz0w said:
Good post Caustic. I agree with all of it except one thing, here a red cow is going to cost you more but they should still buy them red regardless.

If red fetches more nickels there, I'd bet old Caustic would put a red bull behind those red cows.

dun":lmpqbove said:
Caustic Burno":lmpqbove said:

You mean you don;t need a horse and a hat when you trail your herd to Abilene?

dun
But don"t you need a hat to ride the bull at the local tavern?

Bravo CB Bravo!! Educate yourself in the areas of importance and forget the unimportant(big trucks, big hats, etc.) . Boone

certherfbeef":ovakn2qu said:
Caustic Burno":ovakn2qu said:
Place bull behind cow.

Typical Caustic logic

YES AND SOME OF THE BEST DAM LOGIC ON THIS HERE BOARD!!!!!

CB stop posting this kind of stuff for free and right yourself a book already!! ( I want the first signed copy!)

cbi decided i want all red cows but recently i decided im gonna buy any cows i can from my father in law i save my money and buy them for cash when i can i have 5 now but i think i can swing 10 by April with the calves i sell but i put all back into buying more his cows have calves when there supposed to v. s. sale barn cows so in a few years i hope to start getting more red cows but now i think my best option is what i can afford from his stock plus i give him 150.00 for each calf i think that's a good deal "upkeep on my cow " what do you think ?

S.R.R.":3fpi8szx said:
certherfbeef":3fpi8szx said:
Caustic Burno":3fpi8szx said:
Place bull behind cow.

Typical Caustic logic

CB stop posting this kind of stuff for free and right yourself a book already!! ( I want the first signed copy!)
caustics little fiest dog humping his leg again. you wouldnt know logic if it hit you in the head

Good down to earth, common sense advice. Thank you. :clap:

ALACOWMAN":lrgo8248 said:
S.R.R.":lrgo8248 said:
certherfbeef":lrgo8248 said:
Caustic Burno":lrgo8248 said:
Place bull behind cow.

Typical Caustic logic

caustics little fiest dog humping his leg again. you wouldnt know logic if it hit you in the head

Good one! I only wish you were here in person so that I could congratulate you proper!! ;-)

This question seem's to pop up over and over and everyone thinks they are going to get rich.
First buy your land and build your infrastructure before you think about the first cow. (Pay cash) Did that. Barn burnt. Cows didn't. Infastructure now sucks. Sawed lumber and am going to start building in the spring.
Buy red cows they are cheaper (pay cash) I have red cows... Whew!
Buy a good bull (pay cash) I have a decent bull (born on the place)
It cost the same to upkeep a POS as a good cow 400 dollars a year. True, although initial investment is higher.
You do not need a new John Deere an old Massey will get you by( pay cash) I have a newer JD because I need to make hay when the sun shines. I don't want break downs. Selling the extra hay to horse people easily makes the payments and helps pay taxes.
You do not need an F-350 Diesel Truck . I have an F-250 (gas) I burn 50+ face cord/ year, sell another 30 and haul hay. This is more easily done with a 3/4 ton than a half ton.
You do not need a cattle trailer . Whew. I dont have one!
You can hire your hauling done for a fraction of the cost. True.
You don't need hay baleing equipment. Why? I need hay and have the land. Plus selling hay to horse guys is failry profitable.
You do not need a horse which is a bottomless pit in which to waste money, horse eats what 3 cows does with no return. Whew.I dont have one! Never will.
You do not need a cowboy hat. Whew. I dont have one! Is a John Deere hat acceptable?

Even though some of "CB logic" is true. This basic info is not gospel and the same thing does not work for everyone. If I'm going over 200 acres of hay groud, I want a tractor that'll get the job done while the hay is still young and tender. I've stated the differences in my operation and I'm getting along just fine. Never thought I was going to get rich and I don't know anyone that gets into farming thinking that they will. Most people that farm- like it.
My kids will eat squirrel when it's on the table but we dont have to and I'm sure they wouldn't say that there is "nothin' finer". I'm sure they'd rather have pizza. I like squirrel but I'd have to agree with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts