Start-up's

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
MillIronQH":eiigz1hl said:
My attitude is great I just dont believe in sugar coating or telling people what they want to hear.
I am a cattleman that raises cattle to convert to cash,
I am not the least bit interested in playing cowboy

Your attitude towards less experiened people sucks. It's not about sugar coating anything or just telling people what YOU think they want to hear. It's about telling people what they need to know in such a way they want to listen and learn. You start out by telling someone how stupid they are and you shut them out imediately. Then what have you acomplished? Who do you think is going to listen to someone whose only goal seems to be to berate and belittle their efforts or that their way is the only way regardless of conditions.

If the only reason you are in the cow business is for the money then maybe you should look at selling computers. The cow business goes way beyond being in it for the money. I don't own a single cow but I and every rancher I work for do it because we love being there. And before you even start to fire a shot at them think about the fact that most of them are 3rd-5th generation on the same ranches.

I readily aknowledge that my primary source of income comes from absentee owners whose 1200-2000 acre places are mostly used for hunting season get aways from work and wife But I wouldn't have those places without the recomendations from the from the oldtime local ranchers in the area. The people that own those places still expect me to be able to turn a profit for them.

Does this make me the absolute authority on all things cow. Not a chance in h____. All it does is let me speak of my own experience and nothing more. The same goes for you. If you've never had 1000 head of mama cows and their calves in a pen then you aren't qualified to tell anyone how to deal with it.

I've probably worked more cattle then you've ever seen and worked for people who have more cattle at anytime then you have had or will have in your lifetime. You're a small time cattleman who has had some sucess in the business. That does not make you THE absolute authority on all things cow. If you have learned and adjusted and profited I commend you and it's up to you if you pass that on.

BTW I talked to the man who owns my red studs daddy tonight. He runs about 2000 mama cows on a couple of places east of Billings. We talked about you and the invitation I have extended to you. He said that if I thought you could make a hand to bring up on up. He also said he wasn't paying or feeding anyone that couldn't. I have to admit I kind of waffled at that point because I'm not sure you could and I'd feel responsible for getting you back home. How do you feel about 14 hour days eating dust and Spam, canned tomatos and canned peaches for lunch? Persoally I'm thinking the reason you put down cowboys is because you're not good enough to be one.Z

Thats your opinon and they are just like buttholes everybody has one and they all stink.

I not on here trying to convince people I am a cowboy.

Here is the {funny math } in the cow business ! C B said pretend 40 acres = 30 mamma cows, = 30 calves =$ 600.00 each =$18,000 then went to 100 mamma cows = 300 to 400 bales of hay = $9,000 to $ 12,000 still netting $ 9,000 to $6,000 not counting maintaining of cows, Bale own hay = $20.00 subtract upkeep of {30} mamma cows at $12,000 still {400} rolls of hay costing $12,000, leaves $ 6,000 in the hole, after sale of thirty calves.
I think maybe u need to get rid of the 70 non-producing mamma cows then, or maybe you don't really need the {400} bales of hay to produce {30} calves. Funny math in the cow business. ha ha. 2 n 2 may be 4, but 3 n 1 can be machine oil.

tryinhard

tryinhard":1mwk04ht said:
Here is the {funny math } in the cow business ! C B said pretend 40 acres = 30 mamma cows, = 30 calves =$ 600.00 each =$18,000 then went to 100 mamma cows = 300 to 400 bales of hay = $9,000 to $ 12,000 still netting $ 9,000 to $6,000 not counting maintaining of cows, Bale own hay = $20.00 subtract upkeep of {30} mamma cows at $12,000 still {400} rolls of hay costing $12,000, leaves $ 6,000 in the hole, after sale of thirty calves.
I think maybe u need to get rid of the 70 non-producing mamma cows then, or maybe you don't really need the {400} bales of hay to produce {30} calves. Funny math in the cow business. ha ha. 2 n 2 may be 4, but 3 n 1 can be machine oil.

tryinhard

Pull your head out of your butt the additional 40 acres was hay field. And the discussion was the cost of producing beef or hay on the hay field. Do you produce either? Or you mad cause I said you didn't need the big truck and hat.

If your going to qoute me get it right not half ass.

How many acres do you have in hay field? Lets pretend 40.
Here that will run 30 mamma cows lets assume and we all know what that does you get 30 calfs. The 30 calfs average 600 dollars a piece at the sale barn for a net of 18,000 dollars, you have 100 head of cattle and need 300 rolls of hay for the winter at 30 dollars a roll at a cost of 9000 dollars or even 400 rolls at 12,000 dollars. You still netted, 9000 to 6000 dollars and didn't have the first piece of equipment to maintain. Now we all know that this doesn't count the cost to maintain the cow.

I know that borrowing someone else's equipment is not free.

No, I don't produce either, today. I am now disabled. I gave my stuff to my son, and daughter. My son now does. But I have been there, and still very much intrested today. I'm sure I have never been the man that you are though. The head in the butt, that's you. I dislike you all too much, just from reading too many of your posts, being so critical to all newbies, and others also. This post, just like most of yours, just to see how much attention you can get. I am proud that you know how to make this business work for you. There are others who know how to make thier's work for them also, and may even have a CPA, who helps out. However, I only hope all, well, no matter if they have cattle that they can pet, or not. I hope all works out for them, and only gets better. There is too much hate in the world today, it's sad to come to a board like this, and because one may not know how to do a certain thing, to be ridiculed so harshly. May God bless, and have a Merry Christmas.

tryinhard

I agree. There are ways to say and do things without demeaning others. Too many people try to build themselves up by putting others down.

6M Ranch":2dm5yuar said:
I agree. There are ways to say and do things without demeaning others. Too many people try to build themselves up by putting others down.

I'm not sure,but I think that is what happend to "turnthatcowsheadaroundmaw" or whatever his name was. :lol:
Have a cold one guys, and chill.
Merry Christmas, and lets remember the reason for the season.
Mac

tryinhard":146pqu2a said:
No, I don't produce either, today. I am now disabled. I gave my stuff to my son, and daughter. My son now does. But I have been there, and still very much intrested today. I'm sure I have never been the man that you are though. The head in the butt, that's you. I dislike you all too much, just from reading too many of your posts, being so critical to all newbies, and others also. This post, just like most of yours, just to see how much attention you can get. I am proud that you know how to make this business work for you. There are others who know how to make thier's work for them also, and may even have a CPA, who helps out. However, I only hope all, well, no matter if they have cattle that they can pet, or not. I hope all works out for them, and only gets better. There is too much hate in the world today, it's sad to come to a board like this, and because one may not know how to do a certain thing, to be ridiculed so harshly. May God bless, and have a Merry Christmas.

tryinhard

Wah Wah this isn't the first time you have jumped in and wanted to play with me.
You don't like it when it flys back at you.

CB, You were on the money on your original post and your original intent.

Each person has to adapt to the environment they have and play the cards they are dealt. The good starting basic principles you cited are needed.

I thought Caustic was pretty mild and well mannered on this thread, gave some good advice on the original post and then defended his reasoning on the producing hay. Not so sure where he got out of line that some of you are saying. Guess I will go back and read and see where it started but I must have missed it the first time.

I think his original post on this thread should be put in a frame and on the wall of any of us that are trying to raise some cattle and hope to make money one day. And anyone that has ever ran a different business knows that the examples he mentions could apply to most any business.

I have seen many Janitor business fail that buy the best equipment, start with a office on main street. Nicest van with name all over the side and most of them fail. You have to be smart in whatever business you start nowadays!

"Thats your opinon and they are just like buttholes everybody has one and they all stink."

Then some people attain perfection and become one.

"I not on here trying to convince people I am a cowboy."

Then why do you have a picture of the Biggest cowboy with the Biggest hat you could find for an avatar? Ponderosa Syndrome? I've heard that's common in wannabes.Z

ahhh the weekend.
A little john mayer a little reading.
cheap entertainment.
Thanks all
been worth the read even if not educational.

MD

MillIronQH":2rah5g3h said:
Then why do you have a picture of the Biggest cowboy with the Biggest hat you could find for an avatar? Ponderosa Syndrome? I've heard that's common in wannabes.Z

I think there was a poll on what avater he should have that you must have missed.

Hoss won. Sorry.

MillIronQH":nvxyadh5 said:
"Thats your opinon and they are just like buttholes everybody has one and they all stink."

As Perry Mason use to say "the facts please just the facts". Milliron exactly what did Caustic say that was bad advice? I would like to know because I felt he gave some good advice and as a somewhat beginner if it was bad I would like to know so I can avoid making it.

So please tell us in your opinion what advice did he give that was erroneous?

aplusmnt":37fj0epc said:
As Perry Mason use to say "the facts please just the facts".

I think that waas Joe Friday

dun

aplusmnt":35cj3119 said:
MillIronQH":35cj3119 said:

As Perry Mason use to say "the facts please just the facts". Milliron exactly what did Caustic say that was bad advice? I would like to know because I felt he gave some good advice and as a somewhat beginner if it was bad I would like to know so I can avoid making it.

I didn't say or suggest his advice was bad. Only the way he presents it and the fact that he represents it as the only right way regardless of conditions or circumstances.

Part of it on my part comes from his responses any time I challenge his "My way or the highway" rhetoric. They always include a comment about "playing cowboy". Well guess what? MI EST VAQUERO. That is a point of pride and that is who and what I am. That means I have lived in a Cowboy Teepee and a one room cabin getting to town once about every three months. That means I have fed cows off of the backend of a bobsled pulled by a team in -20 degrees weather. That means I have burned Pear when it was 105 in the shade. That means the stock comes first and I come later. That means I have worked my backside off to do what the man writing the check expects of me. That means that the only excuse for failure is "I wasn't good enough". That means that if I win the lottery tonight I will still only have two things of real value. My word and my reputation.

To hear CB tell it the only reason to be in the livestock business is to make money. And... Anyone who earns money anyplace besides the farm is inferior.Z

Got a new job so I don't get on the boards as much anymore, but I loved to see this thread.

If you are a newbie, Caustic's advice/post is dead on.

Each farm has unique circumstances, however.

2007 will be the first year I make hay. About 120 acres of land adjacent to mine that is mine to lease Jan1. The fences are non-existant so I will hay it.

One thing I would like to point out to everyone, even though it seems obvious:

You cannot control the price that cattle will be, but you can control your costs. Reducing your costs is the same as increasing your revenue, but better. A good thing to think about before buying that $60,000 John Deere.

MillIronQH":2jg11s53 said:
aplusmnt":2jg11s53 said:
MillIronQH":2jg11s53 said:

I didn't say or suggest his advice was bad. Only the way he presents it and the fact that he represents it as the only right way regardless of conditions or circumstances.

Part of it on my part comes from his responses any time I challenge his "My way or the highway" rhetoric. They always include a comment about "playing cowboy". Well guess what? MI EST VAQUERO. That is a point of pride and that is who and what I am. That means I have lived in a Cowboy Teepee and a one room cabin getting to town once about every three months. That means I have fed cows off of the backend of a bobsled pulled by a team in -20 degrees weather. That means I have burned Pear when it was 105 in the shade. That means the stock comes first and I come later. That means I have worked my backside off to do what the man writing the check expects of me. That means that the only excuse for failure is "I wasn't good enough". That means that if I win the lottery tonight I will still only have two things of real value. My word and my reputation.

To hear CB tell it the only reason to be in the livestock business is to make money. And... Anyone who earns money anyplace besides the farm is inferior.Z

You don't own any cows do you?
Your the hired hand aren't you as you are always bragging about hiring out.
I hire a lot of my grunt work also.
Cattle is a business for making money, I never said working somewhere else is bad.
I said trying to sell something for the farm they don't need is bad and thats a horse. Thats why you have a burr up your butt. You keep telling everyone a horse is great(as a Pet) for cattle operations.This is bad advice.
The movie Open Range was just that MillironQH just a movie.
The average Cattle owner in this country runs 25-50 head on 100 acres or less.

J&T Farm":1oa77hl6 said:
I like the shi# out of Caustic, but keep in mind he bales his own hay.

Thats right and I graze my hay fields to increase revenue.
I lease my hay fields from other people.
I have put a pencil to this every which way and if I could find a dependable source of hay I would buy it.
Hay is the largest operating cost I have it has so much equipment cost involved that is only used for a couple of months.

Just look at the time and labor involved with hay
After you buy the equipment.
You have to fertilize the field.
You have to cut the field.
You have to rake the field.
Bale the field.
Move the hay out of the field.
Now it starts all over and this is to feed your cows two to three months in the South.
Every time you start a piece of equipment it cost money.

cypressfarms":q6l48nzf said:
Got a new job so I don't get on the boards as much anymore, but I loved to see this thread.

If you are a newbie, Caustic's advice/post is dead on.

Each farm has unique circumstances, however.

2007 will be the first year I make hay. About 120 acres of land adjacent to mine that is mine to lease Jan1. The fences are non-existant so I will hay it.

One thing I would like to point out to everyone, even though it seems obvious:

You cannot control the price that cattle will be, but you can control your costs. Reducing your costs is the same as increasing your revenue, but better. A good thing to think about before buying that $60,000 John Deere.

Now thats a god plan on haying the leased land and graze all yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts