Start them young

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I was at a branding today. I am not sure how many calves there were but we filled the pen 4 times. I gave shots in the first draft. I used 75 doses of Bova shield so there must have been 75 calves in that bunch. About 250-300 total. The highlight of my day was a 6 year old boy. About half way through the second draft his Dad asked him if he wanted to give a Nasalgen to a calf. He did. So Dad helped him for the first two calves. After that he latched on to the side of a gal who was giving shots. The rest of that draft and all of the next he gave the Nasalgen. Then the last draft was young calves. He got on his horse and roped two and drug them to the fire. They were hand picked smallest calves in the pen. Lots of adults in close standby giving advise and ready to jump in if needed but he did it himself. This was a busy branding where you had to have your head on a swivel. But everything came to a stop when he roped a calf. Great to see a youngster involved.

Dave said:
I was at a branding today. I am not sure how many calves there were but we filled the pen 4 times. I gave shots in the first draft. I used 75 doses of Bova shield so there must have been 75 calves in that bunch. About 250-300 total. The highlight of my day was a 6 year old boy. About half way through the second draft his Dad asked him if he wanted to give a Nasalgen to a calf. He did. So Dad helped him for the first two calves. After that he latched on to the side of a gal who was giving shots. The rest of that draft and all of the next he gave the Nasalgen. Then the last draft was young calves. He got on his horse and roped two and drug them to the fire. They were hand picked smallest calves in the pen. Lots of adults in close standby giving advise and ready to jump in if needed but he did it himself. This was a busy branding where you had to have your head on a swivel. But everything came to a stop when he roped a calf. Great to see a youngster involved.

That's a great story. I hope someone took some pictures of the little feller.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Dave said:

That's a great story. I hope someone took some pictures of the little feller.

When he roped those calves and everyone was ready to jump if needed, Dad was taking a video.

Love that story. This January I helped my 4 year old grandson flip his first calf and vaccinate. He sure had a big smile on his face. Made me feel good to talk him thru it all and watch him "be tuff" lol. He sure did strut after. Pic of us on the calf is on my nightstand.

Latest posts